A father in tears: 14 year old motorcyclist dies in NE in head on collision with pick-up - she was on the phone

webfact

2 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

"braking", not breaking. You don't know how fast the motorbike was going, do you? A modern vehicle is built so flimsily using mostly plastic, this sheet metal,  and very little reinforcement that a front end of a car just about explodes upon any serious impact. At the posted speed limit a motorbike is heavy enough to become a deadly projectile if it hits head on. This is not a fender bender event. Why would you want to shift blame to the driver? 

modern vehicles are designed with crumple zones. they redistribute the force of the impact in case of a crash to minimise harm to the occupants. this has been the case for quite some time. 

• Like 1

ใบขับขี่รถจักรยานยนต์ ความจุไม่เกิน 110 ซีซี.  ต้องมีอายุ 15 ปีขึ้นไป

Motorcycle driver's license with a capacity not exceeding 110 cc. Must be 15 years of age or older

The internet is a wonderful thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bert got kinky said:

determined both by the speed of the truck, which appears slowing according to the driver

You say 'according to the driver, but I have read the article a few times and I cannot find the part were he says that he was slowing down.

What he did actually state was that he braked coming to a halt.

Perhaps you can explain to us all here then as he stated he braked, coming to halt then how come that was not a slowing down motion ? Perhaps your laws of Physics are different to the rest of ours ???? Or conversely tell us all how a vehicle in motion can come to a halt without slowing down  ????????

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, itsari said:

The truck bonnet is not plastic and neither is the bumper behind the plastic . Most motorcycles are traveling at a speed of 30 to 50 km per hour. The truck has to of been at high speed to create that damage.

BRAKING I don't believe too much.

I have seen a motorcycle go into the side of a vehicle one time and the damage on the stationary car was minimal. The rider got up and walked away.

I would be checking the young girls phone account to see if she was actually using the phone or not at the time of the accident .

I had a scoot run into the back of my stationary pickup (Traffic congestion)... Damage to the rear was fairly decent and the cab rear window smashed when the scoot rider came through.

Scoot was demolished and rider suffered many broken bones.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Joseph98765 said:

The only thing that works in this country is "to not lose face" and that's why everyone is wearing mask when they ride the bike and not the helmet...

So they can HIDE the face but not lose it.

• Haha 1

And do not forget the tens of thousands Grab food and others, riding around, one hand on their phone to look for directions and the other one riding the bike.

Police has to get serious and if there are no heavy penalties, it will just continue.

A few days ago, I saw a young, slim girl, (looked like she was around 15) riding an X-max and having a very little child as a passenger.

How can parents allow something like that.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

ใบขับขี่รถจักรยานยนต์ ความจุไม่เกิน 110 ซีซี.  ต้องมีอายุ 15 ปีขึ้นไป

Motorcycle driver's license with a capacity not exceeding 110 cc. Must be 15 years of age or older

The internet is a wonderful thing.

Its good to point that out as simply quoting the minimum age without the cc restriction is very misleading and could actually lead to law breaking if it was taken at face value.

• Confused 1

Recently on a country road miles from any town, my Thai wife nearly cleaned up a couple of young girls on a scooter. There were 4 or 5 of them on two bikes travelling together. Young, but I don't know if they were school age. A long straight stretch of road, no oncoming traffic and my wife pulled out to pass the slower bikes.

Ahead, a square, half road section of tarmac had been removed and never repaired, making our side of the road very rough. I was in the passenger seat, saw the danger and tried to warn the lady, but her response time was slow. The lead bike swung out to the wrong side of the road to avoid the rough patch just as we were passing them. I don't know how they didn't bounce off the side of out car and come to grief. I think they saw us at the last second and swerved back. 

The Thai system:

Worker-not necessary to repair roads dug up, someone else's job!

Rider- no need to check for traffic before suddenly swinging across the road.

Driver- Much keener eyesight than her passenger, but not able to foresee  the potential danger nor react quickly.

2 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

I think motorbike safety is not something that is emphasized sufficiently in school or at home. 

Probably, but then, when I was young, I didn't listen too much to my parents about motorcycle riding security. I rode my bike according to what I though is manageable. Not supers slow and very safe, but not recklessly fast. I wanted to ride another day and I didn't want to fall down and get hurt. 

My parents didn't have to tell me that I should ride to avoid accidents. 

But looking at many riders (in Thailand) today, they seem to "think" they are invincible. What they do works on a good day with other drivers who follow (more or less) the rules.

Under bad road conditions and/or with other dangerous drivers and riders on the road it is almost unavoidable that they will crash one day - and maybe die.

Do we really need parents and teachers tell them: "Please ride in a way that you don't die." ?

25 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:
1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

You made the claim, presumably you have a source. 

But you couldn't even be bothered to rebut my belief. You simply went straight for ad hominin. The lazy way out????

You simply went straight for ad hominin [sic].

The thing is, though, ad hominem or not, you were wrong, Jacko45k is right.   You couldn't be bothered to justify your claim...the lazy way out!

Rural Thai's (and likely many in the cities) don't care what the legal driving age is.  Since when has Thailand enforced any traffic laws with any hint of consistency?  Motorbike use by underage riders is more common than somtam throughout the country, it's ubiquitous, their way of life. 10 years old, no problem. 90 years old, no problem. No license, no problem (unless you make the news). Anyone living near a village will see more than a handful of underage children driving motorbikes (often with friends/siblings on board) to school each day. Some should not be on the road but that won't change for many families. So the real issue here, as its always been, is driver awareness training for both parents and children and enforcement of safety rules, both lacking now. I don't see the enforcement of age/license rules (in rural areas) happening anytime soon.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Silencer said:

Rural Thai's (and likely many in the cities) don't care what the legal driving age is.  Since when has Thailand enforced any traffic laws with any hint of consistency?  Motorbike use by underage riders is more common than somtam throughout the country, it's ubiquitous, their way of life. 10 years old, no problem. 90 years old, no problem. No license, no problem (unless you make the news). Anyone living near a village will see more than a handful of underage children driving motorbikes (often with friends/siblings on board) to school each day. Some should not be on the road but that won't change for many families. So the real issue here, as its always been, is driver awareness training for both parents and children and enforcement of safety rules, both lacking now. I don't see the enforcement of age/license rules (in rural areas) happening anytime soon.

Unfortunately you are so right.

She's probably been riding for what 5 yrs? It wasn't her riding ability, it was the phone in her hands. Old, young they are all doing it. Riding and watching phone. 

The kid's parents probably do the same.

1 hour ago, Silencer said:

Here kids and parents consider them like a pedal cycle which would not raise an eyelid, the issue is parents allowing and encouraging 3 up and modified for there 10 year olds to use, but then crying when it all hits the fan.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Almer said:

Here kids and parents consider them like a pedal cycle which would not raise an eyelid, the issue is parents allowing and encouraging 3 up and modified for there 10 year olds to use, but then crying when it all hits the fan.

Not forgetting of course that many Thais, not all, but very many never accept responsibility for their actions ( or inaction on behalf of the parents in this case ) and immediately accuse others of it being their fault, although in this specific case, as yet, I didn't read where the poor girls parents have blamed the truck driver - yet anyway.

Edited by Excel
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

I had a scoot run into the back of my stationary pickup (Traffic congestion)... Damage to the rear was fairly decent and the cab rear window smashed when the scoot rider came through.

Scoot was demolished and rider suffered many broken bones.

I was unfortunate to hit a large dog at about 70 km quite a mess all round, Nissan Navara crumpled up good and proper

9 minutes ago, Excel said:

Not forgetting of course that many Thais, not all, but very many never accept responsibility for their actions ( or inaction on behalf of the parents in this case ) and immediately accuse others of it being their fault, although in this specific case, as yet, I didn't read where the poor girls parents have blamed the truck driver - yet anyway.

Hopefully the police can reach a speedy conclusion, shouldn’t be to difficult if they put there mind to it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

"braking", not breaking. You don't know how fast the motorbike was going, do you? A modern vehicle is built so flimsily using mostly plastic, this sheet metal,  and very little reinforcement that a front end of a car just about explodes upon any serious impact. At the posted speed limit a motorbike is heavy enough to become a deadly projectile if it hits head on. This is not a fender bender event. Why would you want to shift blame to the driver? 

The truck had impact on the right hand side . Could be a indication that the truck was on the right hand side of the road .

No proof that the girl was using the phone .Only the drivers word..

I took note of the worn tyre on the front wheel which does say something I think.

The truck had to be at speed to cause the damage.

Driver said he had come to a full stop after braking . Dubious to say the least

3 hours ago, Excel said:

Perhaps you can explain to us all here then as he stated he braked, coming to halt then how come that was not a slowing down motion ? Perhaps your laws of Physics are different to the rest of ours ???? Or conversely tell us all how a vehicle in motion can come to a halt without slowing down  ????????

how a vehicle in motion can come to a halt without slowing down  

The slowing down part would be were he broke (breaked) before 'coming to a halt'. :crazy: