Do We Betray our Country of Origin, Just through Writing Style and Choice of Words? Even when we try to mask our nationalities?

On 8/31/2022 at 6:51 PM, Baron Samedi said:

Google could easily do that. That's for sure. A bot would crawl the forum in 2 seconds and come up with a profile for each user.

How much of the information which exists on the WEB, be it on the internet or intranets, is available to you and me? 

Would you guess 10 percent, 50 percent, 90 percent? 

And, do you believe that there is some sort of Internet God which maintains a single file on you, recording every stroke you make, every move you take? 

Some internet god recording, and forever updating, if you have been naughty or nice? 

Personally, I hope there is. 

Many Years ago, I gave up on believing in a personal God. 

And now, as the next best thing, I just hope that my comprehensive profile, saved in bits, will provide me with immortality, beyond my days. 

Computer servers have become the new Heaven for those who transcend into the unknown, or lie mouldering. 

If I were to die tomorrow, the bits I created while here, might never die. Is this not immortality of a kind? 

For example, I once knew a guy who jumped off a 30-floor building in Serbia. Yet, I can still call him up on the internet, YT, any time I wish.

It's almost as if he were immortal. 

I had even considered starting a new Topic about this. 

12 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

This guy is not only too top heavy, but you will notice that, on his backswing, he allows the club to go way past the horizontal, leading to ultimate imbalance, and duffing into the rough. 

It's guys like this that end their games by throwing their clubs, bags, and caddies, into the nearest water hazard. 

He's actually one of the prime examples of wasted talent, his flexibility is freakish for someone of his build. This is he before stacking on the avoirdupois.

You are quite correct, he is well known for his clashes with authority, although AFAIK he has not yet thrown a caddie in any water.

daly2.png

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

He's actually one of the prime examples of wasted talent, his flexibility is freakish for someone of his build. This is he before stacking on the avoirdupois.

You are quite correct, he is well known for his clashes with authority, although AFAIK he has not yet thrown a caddie in any water.

daly2.png

Just another photoshopped image, one assumes.

So back to the OP. 

Does anyone here fess up to obscuring their nationality, and if you do why?

We are a product of where we are born, no escaping that.

Few nations can claim to to be squeaky clean, even the whiter than white Canadians have their demons with the treatment of native Americans.

So I don't know if my written English betrays my origins, but I could also write in Spanish to 'betray' my Mexican origins, neither of which I am embarrassed or ashamed of.

My spoken Spanish, the Spaniards think is ugly Spanish since all North and South Americans don't have their snooty 'lisp'

On 9/3/2022 at 7:15 PM, GinBoy2 said:

So back to the OP. 

Does anyone here fess up to obscuring their nationality, and if you do why?

We are a product of where we are born, no escaping that.

Few nations can claim to to be squeaky clean, even the whiter than white Canadians have their demons with the treatment of native Americans.

So I don't know if my written English betrays my origins, but I could also write in Spanish to 'betray' my Mexican origins, neither of which I am embarrassed or ashamed of.

My spoken Spanish, the Spaniards think is ugly Spanish since all North and South Americans don't have their snooty 'lisp'

Castilian, you mean?

9 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Castilian, you mean?

Well that is true, and of course I'm being facetious when I call it a lisp, we do it to <deleted> them off, and I know it's just a dental fracture in the same way 'th' is in English.

But all part of the joys of language. My English is different from the Brits or even our North American cousins the Canadians with their damn 'A'.

And contrary to popular myth my Californian Spanish is subtly different to my family in Mexico, we can all nearly always tell where we are from.

Now do I write like I talk?

I think so. It spews from brain to the page as if I was talking in every language I speak and can write

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well that is true, and of course I'm being facetious when I call it a lisp, we do it to <deleted> them off, and I know it's just a dental fracture in the same way 'th' is in English.

But all part of the joys of language. My English is different from the Brits or even our North American cousins the Canadians with their damn 'A'.

And contrary to popular myth my Californian Spanish is subtly different to my family in Mexico, we can all nearly always tell where we are from.

Now do I write like I talk?

I think so. It spews from brain to the page as if I was talking in every language I speak and can write

Or, maybe it spews as if you were imbibing a bit too much of, or not enough of,  the old mezcal.

One can usually guess a nationality when certain words are used, like, guy, dude, I am proud, good job etc.

Then from others there is, chap, sunbeam, fruitcake, tosser, etc.

So, some useful words if you want to confuse others.....????

4 hours ago, transam said:

One can usually guess a nationality when certain words are used, like, guy, dude, I am proud, good job etc.

Then from others there is, chap, sunbeam, fruitcake, tosser, etc.

So, some useful words if you want to confuse others.....????

Alright I'll take the bait. Now I've heard Brits say all of those with the exception of 'Sunbeam'

What does that mean, other than the obvious literal meaning?

Edited by GinBoy2

24 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Alright I'll take the bate. Now I've heard Brits say all of those with the exception of 'Sunbeam'

Sunbeam’ is an interesting one. Obviously an English word , however the meaning in Australian is unused crockery or cutlery. Now in England the word is (was) used to greet or address someone you know; generally in a friendly manner.

As in ‘ey up sunbeam how you doing, not seen you for a while’

However if you alter the intonation slightly it can also be used in a derogatory manner short of a strong cuss,

for example addressing someone that runs into your car ‘well done sunbeam, that wasn’t a very clever move was it’.

Very subtle. To confuse issues more there are many other words used similarly whilst greeting someone

example: ‘eh up duck’, ‘ nah den mate’, ‘good afternoon chappy’….

Edited by DaLa
spelling

33 minutes ago, DaLa said:

Sunbeam’ is an interesting one. Obviously an English word , however the meaning in Australian is unused crockery or cutlery. Now in England the word is (was) used to greet or address someone you know; generally in a friendly manner.

However if you alter the intonation slightly it can also be used in a derogatory manner short of a strong cuss,

for example addressing someone that runs into your car ‘well done sunbeam, that wasn’t a very clever move was it’.

Very subtle. To confuse issues more there are many other words used similarly whilst greeting someone

And now...

A word from SUNBEAM Mixmaster...

Nobody can have too much CAKE....

Right, Jingthing?

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

Alright I'll take the bait. Now I've heard Brits say all of those with the exception of 'Sunbeam'

Sunbeam, it's used by Londoners, roughly meaning "ray of light"...????

I am pretty sure that in the last 500,000 words that I have written on AseanNow / Thaivisa, if they indeed amount to anywhere near that number. I must have revealed where I am from several times.

One would have to make a conscious effort not to do so, and avoid giving opinions or posting on threads covering many subjects.

If you wish to hide your origins and level of level of education, and try to feign being functionally illiterate, that is your choice. But it seems like a lot of work on public forums over something that would not be of interest to .most people.

I can understand if you wish to hide your country of origin. But the rest? what is the point?

Here on this website, it is easy to guess many member's nationality without even reading any posts. Just look at their usernames.

As for you. I would guess over 60. Well educated, well travelled with time on their hands. Nationality English first. Either American or Canadian second.

Am I close?

3 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I am pretty sure that in the last 500,000 words that I have written on AseanNow / Thaivisa, if they indeed amount to anywhere near that number. I must have revealed where I am from several times.

One would have to make a conscious effort not to do so, and avoid giving opinions or posting on threads covering many subjects.

If you wish to hide your origins and level of level of education, and try to feign being functionally illiterate, that is your choice. But it seems like a lot of work on public forums over something that would not be of interest to .most people.

I can understand if you wish to hide your country of origin. But the rest? what is the point?

Here on this website, it is easy to guess many member's nationality without even reading any posts. Just look at their usernames.

As for you. I would guess over 60. Well educated, well travelled with time on their hands. Nationality English first. Either American or Canadian second.

Am I close?

Not especially.

Why?

Do you want to get close with me?

6 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Not especially.

Why?

Do you want to get close with me?

Why would I want to get close to you?  

You posted a question in the Pub Community forum and I answered. At the same time trying to prove a point. After lots of posts, it's often easy to guess someone's origin. 

So I was wrong with your's, but by your own admission you do your best to give a wrong impression.

3 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Why would I want to get close to you?  

You posted a question in the Pub Community forum and I answered. At the same time trying to prove a point. After lots of posts, it's often easy to guess someone's origin. 

So I was wrong with your's, but by your own admission you do your best to give a wrong impression.

I did not say you were wrong.

And, your points were well taken, and logically presented, absolutely.

I agree with you.

Speak for yourself, I use many English "dialects" even spellings, depends on subject matter audience, my mood, etc. 

I was born in one place, raised another, and never stopped moving, except for a few decades downunder then off again, with the last ten years being 8 in Thailand with stints elsewhere, and now downunder, temporarily, with a condo in Thailand. The only place I ever bought!

On 9/6/2022 at 7:56 PM, DaLa said:

Clearly posted by someone who has never lived in the UK or Australia. 

You are thinking of "Sunshine" not sunbeam. 

"Chappy" (Chappies) is a South African bubblegum brand. Nothing else, ever. 

British Army officers refer to their men as "chaps". 

"Old chap" is used as a gentle reproachment among the same class when addressing each other. 

I've never heard "sunbeam" used to mean anything anywhere other than, a sunbeam.

I never heard Aussies call sellotape "Durex" either. 

Maybe that was before Vegemite was invented!

A lot of Aussies don't know Marmite was the market leader in Australia for many years, Vegemite won through by a shortage of Marmite, the Army buying Vegemite in WW2, and a national marketing competition offering a Chevy as first prize! 

Now, back to the "English" debate ????????????

Edited by chalawaan

Are Young Americans still part of the Commonwealth?

Or, are young Americans, today, just too far gone?

Has America already transformed itself into something unimaginable by young Americans of the 1960s?

Who recognizes America, these days?

Do you?

What does it even mean, these days, to say..."I am an American"? 

Which America are you even talking about when you say, "I am an American"?

Maybe America is so fractured, these days, that America has completely lost its identity.

Therefore, how would you even know if one might be either American or some smarter guy from Scotland, just pretending to be American?

Still, you and I share a common cultural bond, maybe.

America has the Boston Celtics, after all.

On 8/30/2022 at 10:08 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Proper use of prepositions is not so easy because...there are no "rules" that can be memorized.

There's only one rule: "A preposition is something you should never end a sentence with".