Enoch Powell, he wasnt wrong in his forecast !

CharlieH

13 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

You havin a laugh , i lived in Finchley ,my aunt in Willesden,never any problems ,as for Wembely ,maybe odd football days ,but very little other trouble ,mind you that was 50 yrs ago not 60 when i was there.

I'm not talking large areas at the time like there are now. 

Finchley & Willesden chalk and cheese. 

You obviously don't know the Wembley area very well near where I lived.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, proton said:

One of the most intelligent people to ever sit in the commons.

Does not require much intelligence to be a politician, the world over.

He had advisors, discussed his beliefs and made them known, that is all.

Edited by userabcd
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

It's funny that Brexiters claim Enoch Powell as a precursor to Nigel Farage. Does anyone think he'd be happy about this? 

Huge rise in non-EU migrants to Britain

The implementation of a more liberal points-based immigration system after Brexit has resulted in soaring numbers of workers and students from Africa, India and the Philippines.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, proton said:

No, wrong, he was quoting what a constituent had said to him re his fear on immigration as part of the speech. If you knew anything about him or the speech you would have been aware of that.

How's this instead?

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood." That tragic and intractable phenomenon which we watch with horror on the other side of the Atlantic but which there is interwoven with the history and existence of the States itself, is coming upon us here by our own volition and our own neglect. Indeed, it has all but come. In numerical terms, it will be of American proportions long before the end of the century.

https://anth1001.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/enoch-powell_speech.pdf

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

He was way off.

I was recently in a northern English town, full of the people this racist Powell was inciting fear and hatred of. 

The people of that town share far more things in common than the colour of their skin.

The century has turned, that town, like others across the country have proven Powell wrong, the vast majority of people living there were born there, raised there, educated there, work there, and very rightly consider themselves British.

Which town?

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

No reason at all to be racist. Blind Freddy could see those people were going to raise British born kids. Just like where I come from, the largest population of the town (state capital) was Chinese until WW2. Forty years ago the town mayor was one of those Chinese. The Chinese were the richest demographic in town. After the war the town as flooded by Greek and Italian migrants. The locals disdained them and called them w*gs. Now the town mayor is one of those Greeks as is the state administrator (governor). The Greeks are the richest demographic in town. The town's largest social even of the year is the Glenti festival. The second richest is still the Chinese.

So we are now deflecting into other countries now are we !!!   What next linking Enoch Powells comments to the entire world ? Please stay with the threads specific subject matter. As a side note, as those immigrants were allowed into the UK then during the 1950's and 60's saw some of the highest levels of emigration from the UK, actually exceeding immigration levels at times. Guess they too saw what was going to happen and got out asap. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1