Covid visa an entry denial

13 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

"Peanut Gallery"  Thats a new one for me,   I'm not actually sure what the phrase means but it seems a very appropriate way to describe the complainers  Sad folk indeed

It's a slang term...

"a group of people who criticize someone, often by focusing on insignificant details."

The quote is from internet. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Complete nonsense from start to finish.

The perception that covid extensions were provided due to inability to exit Thailand has been shown to be not true. 

The Thai government continued "covid extensions" even after it was easy to exit Thailand easily.

They even continued to issue them after land borders were opened. 

Stick to the facts. 

My memory must be off on this one, but I don't think it is.  If you could please direct me to the extension being given where folks needed approval letters from their embassies, or was that a misnomer and bad information I had obtained at one point. Yet here it is in a current post from a Thai Paper.

Here is the information and it again is the same as what was posted when they allowed the Covid extensions in the first place.  Look at the italicized and underlined sections.

Source: https://thai.news/news/thailand/july-25-is-now-the-last-day-for-covid-visa-extensions

The deadline to apply for a 60-day “Covid” visa extension in Thailand has been extended by two months, until July 25. The extension follows the Thai government’s decision to extend the country’s “State of Emergency” until July 31. A “Covid” visa extension is designed for foreigners residing in Thailand who are unable to return to their home country due to the ongoing pandemic.

On Friday, Thailand’s “State of Emergency” was extended by another two months. The emergency decree allows Thailand’s Covid-19 task force – the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, or CCSA – to make decisions about Covid-19 restrictions and policies without having to go through parliament first.

The emergency decree also allows Thailand’s immigration departments to issue 60-day “Covid” visa extensions to foreigners who are stuck in Thailand because of their home country’s re-entry policies, lack of flights or other reasons relating to Covid-19.

The deadline for “Covid” visa extension applications has been pushed back several times already, but as Thailand prepares to declare Covid-19 as an endemic disease in the coming months, this is likely to be the last time that the final application date is extended.

So, if your current stay in Thailand has depended on “Covid” visa extensions then now is a good time to look into other long-term visa options.

Required documents for extension

• 1,900 baht
  • TM.7 Application form
  • TM.30 Notification (signed)
  • Passport
  • Formal passport photo 4 x 6cm
  • A photocopy of your passport’s information page and photocopies of any pages relating to your current visa
  • A letter from your home country’s embassy in Thailand. depending on reason for extension

So was I wrong in my post above I ask you?

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yep completely.

Immigration provided the affidavit. 

A simple tick box where most folk selected box 2 indicating that their embassy was not providing letter.

Wake up. The government did not give a flying ...about reason for covid extensions.

My guess is they were happy for contribution to economy from rather insignificant group. 

Bottom line is the Thai government provided the covid extensions and folk obtained them as they were legally entitled to them.

End of. 

Your view and mine are different obviously from the written words and what actually occurs.  If you say the boots on the ground do not have to do what's listed and the information about the reason the extension came about which I posted and is verified in the Thai imm8gration letter is not correct, then I guess we can stop debating because we will never agree on this.  Have a good evening Jack.

Edited by ThailandRyan

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP mentioned GF.

Why assume marriage is even on his radar.

Why did the OP mention it if doesn't confer any immigration benefits in the first place?

BTW, I like the way the OP says they 'found out' he had a girlfriend. How did they do that?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Why did the OP mention it if doesn't confer any immigration benefits in the first place?

BTW, I like the way the OP says they 'found out' he had a girlfriend. How did they do that?

Some people have a sexual partner and they think they deserve special treatment  visa wise

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Well he had to tell them as he was afraid otherwise he might miss his turn.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Complete nonsense from start to finish.

The perception that covid extensions were provided due to inability to exit Thailand has been shown to be not true. 

The Thai government continued "covid extensions" even after it was easy to exit Thailand easily.

They even continued to issue them after land borders were opened. 

Stick to the 

Not nonsense. The covid extension of stay was originally created because most every country was in lock down and you could not enter and many airlines were not flying all routes as a result. I was there when it started and almost could not get out and return to the USA before the added that extension of stay.. Go back and check the facts.

In my opinion it was only continued later as method to salvage some level of money for the economy due to to the lack of tourist numbers.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yep completely.

A simple tick box where most folk selected box 2 indicating that their embassy was not providing letter.

Wake up. The government did not give a flying ...about reason for covid extensions.

The Government made rules so that only the people who genuinely were stuck in Thailand were able to get extensions .

Local immigration officers did not check to make sure that people were telling the truth in their visa extension application 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The Government made rules so that only the people who genuinely were stuck in Thailand were able to get extensions .

Local immigration officers did not check to make sure that people were telling the truth in their visa extension application 

Mac, if this is true, then every immigration officer who processed all my extensions at Immigration Division 1 must have been complacent in implementing the regulations, even when my application has been placed "Under Consideration", and presumably must have been signed off by a more senior official in charge.

I'm sitting here shaking my head at the complaints insinuating that Covid extensions were somehow "abused".

The fact is applications for Covid extensions were made available until August 24th 2022 for reasons only known to the decision-makers in the halls of power in the Thai government. It also seems extremely unlikely that the fact that IOs manning the desks were handing Covid extensions out liberally would be a complete mystery to their superior officers.

Most of you more experienced Thailand (or Southeast Asia) hands should really know this - in this part of the world, the regulations, as gazetted, do not always correspond with the reality on the ground. Singapore is probably the only exception to this observation.

On paper, these are some of the most strictly regulated countries on the planet - in reality, things are a lot more laissez faire.

7 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Some people have a sexual partner and they think they deserve special treatment  visa wise

I would just note (although I am not gay myself) that those in a long term relationship with a same sex partner have a lot of trouble finding a way to stay together. Thailand does not recognise same sex marriage, and for many years has not provided Non Immigrant social visas that facilitate extended stay in Thailand for those with close connections that fall short of heterosexual marriage contracts.

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:
8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

My memory must be off on this one, but I don't think it is.  If you could please direct me to the extension being given where folks needed approval letters from their embassies, or was that a misnomer and bad information I had obtained at one point. Yet here it is in a current post from a Thai Paper.

Here is the information and it again is the same as what was posted when they allowed the Covid extensions in the first place.  Look at the italicized and underlined sections.

Source: https://thai.news/news/thailand/july-25-is-now-the-last-day-for-covid-visa-extensions

The deadline to apply for a 60-day “Covid” visa extension in Thailand has been extended by two months, until July 25. The extension follows the Thai government’s decision to extend the country’s “State of Emergency” until July 31. A “Covid” visa extension is designed for foreigners residing in Thailand who are unable to return to their home country due to the ongoing pandemic.

On Friday, Thailand’s “State of Emergency” was extended by another two months. The emergency decree allows Thailand’s Covid-19 task force – the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, or CCSA – to make decisions about Covid-19 restrictions and policies without having to go through parliament first.

The emergency decree also allows Thailand’s immigration departments to issue 60-day “Covid” visa extensions to foreigners who are stuck in Thailand because of their home country’s re-entry policies, lack of flights or other reasons relating to Covid-19.

The deadline for “Covid” visa extension applications has been pushed back several times already, but as Thailand prepares to declare Covid-19 as an endemic disease in the coming months, this is likely to be the last time that the final application date is extended.

So, if your current stay in Thailand has depended on “Covid” visa extensions then now is a good time to look into other long-term visa options.

Required documents for extension

• 1,900 baht
  • TM.7 Application form
  • TM.30 Notification (signed)
  • Passport
  • Formal passport photo 4 x 6cm
  • A photocopy of your passport’s information page and photocopies of any pages relating to your current visa
  • A letter from your home country’s embassy in Thailand. depending on reason for extension

So was I wrong in my post above I ask you?

Expand  

Yep completely.

My guess is they were happy for contribution to economy from rather insignificant group. 

Bottom line is the Thai government provided the covid extensions and folk obtained them as they were legally entitled to them.

End of. 

When the old cow stops giving milk, the smarter farmer sells it.

With various government ministers and spokespersons saying for maybe the last six weeks that Thailand would be declaring Covid endemic some time late this summer, it's pretty obvious that those that prefer milk in their tea were being put on notice.

16 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If they allowed you enter the country that means you were not blacklisted. They don't randomly blacklist people.

I am sure that they were writing something on my record on computer. I am sure they will poke at the problem the next time I enter the country.

16 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That is also a rubbish comment from immigration officer.

They are clerks. 

I was afraid they would write something in the data and complain the next time they issue a traveler's visa. Furthermore, I heard that even if he had a traveler's visa, he was denied entry to the country, or something like that.

15 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

2 years of staying here on a Covid Visa is telling me he is under 50, Working as a Digital Nomad, and couldn't care less about staying legally in the country.  He should be applying for a single entry or a multiple entry Tourist Visa from outside of the country and playing he game the right way.  Sounds like he obtained the Covid Visa's in his favor by using the system, just like those who use to do border hops.  

I considered it perfectly legal. The government had issued it as officially legal and I was able to extend it every time without any problems. If I had known there was going to be this problem, I would have wanted them to tell me in advance when I was getting my extension and I would have gotten my visa.

Is it possible to extend the 30-day visa for this entry?

Is it possible to get a 60 day tourist visa in Laos? I will be returning from Nong Khai by land.

If these are not possible, I am thinking of asking thaivisacenter, but I have heard that there are problems with the visas they issue and could not enter the country. 

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

With various government ministers and spokespersons saying for maybe the last six weeks that Thailand would be declaring Covid endemic some time late this summer, it's pretty obvious that those that prefer milk in their tea were being put on notice.

I think announcements of longer stays for visa exempt entries and visas on arrival was an even clearer signal that they were switching to a different method of encouraging longer stays by tourists.

32 minutes ago, asia123 said:

I considered it perfectly legal. The government had issued it as officially legal and I was able to extend it every time without any problems. If I had known there was going to be this problem, I would have wanted them to tell me in advance when I was getting my extension and I would have gotten my visa.

The Covid extensions were no problem per se. The issue was the length of time in Thailand recently as a tourist, however that was achieved. Immigration officials at some airports do not like long stay tourists. They have a lot of discretion to deny entry when you are entering visa exempt.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, asia123 said:

Is it possible to extend the 30-day visa for this entry?

Is it possible to get a 60 day tourist visa in Laos? I will be returning from Nong Khai by land.

You can get a 30-day extension of either a visa exempt entry or entry from a tourist visa.

You can apply for a tourist visa in Vientiane and, if this is provided, can very reliably enter Thailand at Nong Khai. You must have an appointment to apply for the visa. See https://thaivisavientiane.com/

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

You can get a 30-day extension of either a visa exempt entry or entry from a tourist visa.

You can apply for a tourist visa in Vientiane and, if this is provided, can very reliably enter Thailand at Nong Khai. You must have an appointment to apply for the visa. See https://thaivisavientiane.com/

At the airport they said "you cant get tourist visa anymore", do I still have a chance to get it?  

19 minutes ago, asia123 said:

At the airport they said "you cant get tourist visa anymore", do I still have a chance to get it?  

You will have zero problem getting the visa. If entering through certain airports, you might have a problem with immigration officials refusing to honour the visa. You can overcome this by entering through almost any land crossing (avoid the rogue crossing at Poipet.Aranyaprathet) and certain airports, such as Chiang Mai.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BritTim said:
10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I think announcements of longer stays for visa exempt entries and visas on arrival was an even clearer signal that they were switching to a different method of encouraging longer stays by tourists.

Precisely my point. To keep my milk cow analogy going and not exclude the coffee drinking visa shirkers among us, there's always been Elite Visa, the 'Coffee Mate' of legitimate long-stay entitlement in Thailand.

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Precisely my point. To keep my milk cow analogy going and not exclude the coffee drinking visa shirkers among us, there's always been Elite Visa, the 'Coffee Mate' of legitimate long-stay entitlement in Thailand.

Well, yes, an Elite membership does certainly make you eligible to stay for longer than the 60 days you receive from a tourist visa. However, not everyone who wants to stay longer than 60 days wishes to make an expensive commitment to a five-year stay.