Non O Savannakhet

4 hours ago, sidgy said:

So, went to savannakhet and got one year multi entry. Took with me following docs:-

Marriage cert, original and copy

Kor Roh 2  (wife got from amphur cost 1 (yes One) baht

copy of my passport

copy of wifes passport main page and copy of wifes ID card

copy of yellow house book with pages showing wife name and also pages with childrens names on

filled in application form

passport sized photos (more on this later)

Absolute breeze at consulate, (open between 09:00 and 11:00) lady checked docs, attached passport sized photos to application for me.

Paid 5000bht and received receipt and ticket for collection next day at 14:00

The only downside to be wary of.... Caught bus from Mukdahan bus station to Laos. Bus stops at Thai immigration, get off bus, go through immigration to get stamped out, get back on bus, no problem for me but only half the passengers had got through immigration and back on the bus before the driver closed the doors and set off to the Laos side of the bridge. They would then probably have to wait for one hour for the next bus!

Got visa on arrival in Laos (1500bht and 30mins) went through immigration and took tuk tuk. 

Wife had called me to say i had left my Photos on the table at home.  Tuk Tuk driver who spoke good English took me to photo shop,  explained to the owner what i needed and took me to consulate once i had photos... 200 baht

On return, i took tuk tuk to the Laos immigration, straight after getting stamped out, buy your bus ticket back to mukdahan before going through turnstile. The booth is hard to spot as looks same as the IO booth

Hope this helps somebody

Thank you for the info. I thought you would also need a letter from your wife asking for the visa?

3 hours ago, stratocaster said:

Don't take the bus, but take a tuk tuk leaving 15 minutes before the bus. When you arrive at Thai immigration there will be no people. Buy your bus ticket at the office next to immigration. When the bus arrives you will be first on first off.

That would work a treat, excellent suggestion. 

On 9/10/2022 at 2:31 PM, sidgy said:

So, went to savannakhet and got one year multi entry. Took with me following docs:-

Marriage cert, original and copy

Kor Roh 2  (wife got from amphur cost 1 (yes One) baht

copy of my passport

copy of wifes passport main page and copy of wifes ID card

copy of yellow house book with pages showing wife name and also pages with childrens names on

filled in application form

passport sized photos (more on this later)

Absolute breeze at consulate, (open between 09:00 and 11:00) lady checked docs, attached passport sized photos to application for me.

Paid 5000bht and received receipt and ticket for collection next day at 14:00

The only downside to be wary of.... Caught bus from Mukdahan bus station to Laos. Bus stops at Thai immigration, get off bus, go through immigration to get stamped out, get back on bus, no problem for me but only half the passengers had got through immigration and back on the bus before the driver closed the doors and set off to the Laos side of the bridge. They would then probably have to wait for one hour for the next bus!

Got visa on arrival in Laos (1500bht and 30mins) went through immigration and took tuk tuk. 

Wife had called me to say i had left my Photos on the table at home.  Tuk Tuk driver who spoke good English took me to photo shop,  explained to the owner what i needed and took me to consulate once i had photos... 200 baht

On return, i took tuk tuk to the Laos immigration, straight after getting stamped out, buy your bus ticket back to mukdahan before going through turnstile. The booth is hard to spot as looks same as the IO booth

Hope this helps somebody

Thanks for posting this, I'm thinking of doing the same this time. 

Also from past experience they use to accept a foreign marriage certificate without translation or stamps. 

This may not be the case anymore.. 

Has Lao visa entry price changed ? It use to be 32usd (paid in USD) for me being an Aussie. 

Does the consolate still do visa processing only a few days a week and pickup the next day ? Monday, Wednesday, Thursday pickup was the days in-between.

25 minutes ago, ndreamer said:

Has Lao visa entry price changed ? It use to be 32usd (paid in USD) for me being an Aussie. 

Not sure, if price changed, it was my first time there. I opted to pay in Thai baht as that was what i had. There is an option to get the visa online prior to arrival someone mentioned earlier in this thread.

25 minutes ago, ndreamer said:

Does the consolate still do visa processing only a few days a week and pickup the next day ? Monday, Wednesday, Thursday pickup was the days in-between.

Again, sorry not sure. I went on a Thursday morning and picked up on Friday afternoon but looking at the website, you can go any day Monday to Friday

Edited by sidgy
old info

8 minutes ago, sidgy said:

Again, sorry not sure. I went on a Thursday morning and picked up on Friday afternoon but looking at the website, you can go any day Monday to Friday

Thai Consulate in Savannakhet | -Thai Consulate & Thai Embassy (thai-consulate.net)

That info on a unofficial website is way out of date (2014).

Best to use the official website. https://savannakhet.thaiembassy.org/th/page/4-steps-to-apply-for-thai-visa?menu=5f364266881bda1c12237f58

• Like 1

On 9/13/2022 at 10:06 AM, ubonjoe said:

That info on a unofficial website is way out of date (2014).

Best to use the official website. https://savannakhet.thaiembassy.org/th/page/4-steps-to-apply-for-thai-visa?menu=5f364266881bda1c12237f58

Joe, what the best way to convert OA to O retirement visa without going back to country of origin

it's my understanding OA needs to have insurance while O does not or am I incorrect, thanks for your help

43 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

Joe, what the best way to convert OA to O retirement visa without going back to country of origin

it's my understanding OA needs to have insurance while O does not or am I incorrect, thanks for your help

You have to leave without re-entry permit or leave and not re-enter until the re-entry permit expires.

You can enter visa exempt and then apply for a non-o visa and apply for the one year extension of stay based upon retirement.

You can also get a non-o visa at a nearby embassy or consulate and the apply for the extension.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/3/2022 at 9:58 AM, JeffersLos said:

Of course it is.

Lovely, relaxing holiday trips. ???? 

I agree .I did that drive many times Yaso - Mukdahan - Yaso as a day trip 2012-- 2018 .On a few ocassions it turned dark for the last hour -- very dangerous .

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You have to leave without re-entry permit or leave and not re-enter until the re-entry permit expires.

You can enter visa exempt and then apply for a non-o visa and apply for the one year extension of stay based upon retirement.

You can also get a non-o visa at a nearby embassy or consulate and the apply for the extension.

thanks Joe, appreciate,  will do the re-entry without permit

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2022 at 4:02 PM, AgMech Cowboy said:

Yes, the one year multi is available. I returned home yesterday from obtaining mine on Tuesday. 

I have plans to write a trip report, but need a day or two to recover. I drive to and from Pathum Thani. It's a 'ruff' trip, especially from Saraburi to BKK after a long previous 5-6 hours. (I spend the night in Yasothon and drive back from there). What you will need is in ubonjoe's message below (and that's all I gave them). The cost is 5k baht.

FROM ubonjoe: 

There have been reports of Savannakhet issuing multiple entry non-o visas.

Requirements are here. https://savannakhet.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/non-immigrant-visa-o-visiting-family-member-of-a-thai-nationality-a-sp?page=5d84a44c15e39c26b400453e&menu=5d84a44c15e39c26b400453f

Hi, just need some clarification before I set off to Savannakhet, did you need copies of all used pages in your passport, or just the front page and is it just one set of copies or two? 
cheers in advance ????

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, clarky cat said:

There's no option on the visa form to ask for multiple entry, what should be done here?

They will ask you if you want a single or multiple entry when you submit the application and pay the fee.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, clarky cat said:

Do I need any form of letter from my school about cancelling the non-b visa, and moving onto a non-o?

You only need a termination letter from the school to cancel your current extension of stay (it is not a visa).

On 10/27/2022 at 10:37 AM, lemonjelly said:

Hi, just need some clarification before I set off to Savannakhet, did you need copies of all used pages in your passport, or just the front page and is it just one set of copies or two? 
cheers in advance

One copy of the data page(s) of your passport is all that is required. 

• Like 1

I am in Savannaket and need to pick up my passport tomorrow. The Embassy staff seemed busy and I asked what time to pick up. He said 2 pm but I did not verify if this meant at 2 pm or before 2pm as the Embassy closes. I couldnt find any times online. Hoping somebody can advise. 

Some posters seemed to think going here for a non o is a waste of time and an agent is better but am enjoying coffee and french bread and the holiday away from the family.  I think I was the only non o applicant as most people in the morning queue seemed to be Filipino teachers or seeking toirist visas. They looked through my papers, did not want my updated kor ror 2 and gave my bank statement back without looking at it. All he said was 5000 baht. Hopefully no trouble picking up tomorrow. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Wongkitlo said:

I am in Savannaket and need to pick up my passport tomorrow. The Embassy staff seemed busy and I asked what time to pick up. He said 2 pm but I did not verify if this meant at 2 pm or before 2pm as the Embassy closes. I couldnt find any times online. Hoping somebody can advise. 

After 2 pm. From their website.

image.png.fe2b4b9ea2e38bca43bb5c910a666f5e.png

Source in Thai but Google translate works on it. https://savannakhet.thaiembassy.org/th/page/104385-ที่ตั้ง-และวัน-เวลาทำการ?menu=5d84a44c15e39c26b4004563

3 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

The office opens for pickup at 2.00pm. The queue starts to form just after 1.00pm and there is no shelter from the sun. They are usually quite quick at handing passports back, so long as you present your receipt. I was there three weeks ago and there were a lot of people in front of me. I was out of there by 2.20 pm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sjbrownderby said:

The office opens for pickup at 2.00pm. The queue starts to form just after 1.00pm and there is no shelter from the sun. They are usually quite quick at handing passports back, so long as you present your receipt. I was there three weeks ago and there were a lot of people in front of me. I was out of there by 2.20 pm.

Thank you for the info. Cheers. 

Picked up the visa today. Lots of visa groups waiting at 2 pm and people jumping the queue. Was at the bus station for the 2.30 bus to the border. The Fun Dee hotel was nice and clean, modern and friendly for 250, 000 kip for 2 people and 2 breakfasts(150,000 for the room-I think about 350 b). The only addition is there is a 50 baht fee to leave Laos. Not sure exactly why. 

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a 1 year extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon marriage during the last 30 days of the 90 day a non-o visa allows.

Many people don't have the funds to apply for a extension of stay or just don't want to deal with immigration.

Thanks Joe.  So the marriage visa from Savannakhet is an actual visa with multiple entries that has no or a minimal requirement for funds in the bank while applying with a non-o in Thailand requires the 400000 baht in a bank and is single entry?  If that's the case going to Savannakhet seems the way to go.  Or stay single ????