Non O Savannakhet

34 minutes ago, Slosheroni said:

Thanks Joe.  So the marriage visa from Savannakhet is an actual visa with multiple entries that has no or a minimal requirement for funds in the bank while applying with a non-o in Thailand requires the 400000 baht in a bank and is single entry?  If that's the case going to Savannakhet seems the way to go.  Or stay single ????

If you applied for single entry non-o visa at immigration you would have to show the 400k baht in the bank on the day you apply and it only allows one 90 day stay.

Then during those 90 days you could apply for a one year extension of stay (it is not a visa) and then the 400k baht would need to be the bank for 2 months. If you want to travel after getting the one year stay you could apply for a single or multiple re-entry permit.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Slosheroni said:

Thanks Joe.  So the marriage visa from Savannakhet is an actual visa with multiple entries that has no or a minimal requirement for funds in the bank while applying with a non-o in Thailand requires the 400000 baht in a bank and is single entry?  If that's the case going to Savannakhet seems the way to go.  Or stay single ????

With the Savannakhet non o you  need to do leave Thailand every 90 days or go to Immigration and get a 60 day extension to visit your wife.

Just completed the Non-O, no proof of funds asked for..

Followed the list of required docs on their website, was all quite easy. The embassy didn't open until 9:00am so had the sun burning on everyone for 30+ minutes.

There's a charge of 100 baht for going through immigration, then further 1500 baht for the Laos visa, and a leaving charge of 50 baht.

They have an airport-style scanner which seems to be used to stop people bringing back Beer Laos and Heineken. 

Starting to get busy there with Chinese on tour buses, I'm not sure I'll do it again, bit of a mission from Phuket.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, clarky cat said:

Just completed the Non-O, no proof of funds asked for..

Followed the list of required docs on their website, was all quite easy. The embassy didn't open until 9:00am so had the sun burning on everyone for 30+ minutes.

There's a charge of 100 baht for going through immigration, then further 1500 baht for the Laos visa, and a leaving charge of 50 baht.

They have an airport-style scanner which seems to be used to stop people bringing back Beer Laos and Heineken. 

Starting to get busy there with Chinese on tour buses, I'm not sure I'll do it again, bit of a mission from Phuket.

On Entry to laos did they ask for vaccin cert/atk? 

37 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Apparently there's a new application form the visa, does anyone have a copy, having issues with their website.

https://image.mfa.go.th/mfa/0/5JYoZtAQn8/Visa_Application_Form.pdf

Also the form for entering Loas itself.

Lao visa on arrival application form. https://www.laos-guide-999.com/support-files/laos-visa-on-arrival-form.pdf

Can you pay in thb or must be USD at border and embassy?

You can pay in baht or dollars for the Lao visa on arrival.

You can only pay in baht at the consulate.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Lao visa on arrival application form. https://www.laos-guide-999.com/support-files/laos-visa-on-arrival-form.pdf

Thanks.

Does it matter that it says Vietiane on the app for if crossing at Muk / Savanakhet?

image.png.0a42f0bb70c23256fb3404d4908dade9.png

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Be aware that it costs substantially more to pay for the visa on arrival in baht. If you have the opportunity to pick up clean, undamaged US currency, it is worth doing so.

On 11/19/2022 at 11:49 AM, PJ71 said:

Apparently there's a new application form the visa, does anyone have a copy, having issues with their website.

Also the form for entering Loas itself.

Can you pay in thb or must be USD at border and embassy?

Thx.

There is a little print shop across the road which has the forms. For a price of course. I did a download and print for 100 baht. He wanted to fill out the form for me but I just took it. 

3 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

There is a little print shop across the road which has the forms. For a price of course. I did a download and print for 100 baht. He wanted to fill out the form for me but I just took it. 

yeah, i've used him in the past.

Any idea if he can do the whole submittal, ie standing in line, handing over your docs and paying?

I hate Q's.

30 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Any idea if he can do the whole submittal, ie standing in line, handing over your docs and paying?

I hate Q's.

No, I tried that one a few weeks ago. They’ll provide and fill out all the forms for you and even do your mugshots if you forgot to do that, but you have to submit the application in person. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lemonjelly said:

No, I tried that one a few weeks ago. They’ll provide and fill out all the forms for you and even do your mugshots if you forgot to do that, but you have to submit the application in person. 

That's a bummer and somewhat surprising as i'm sure there's a few quid to be made offering that service.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, PJ71 said:

I hate Q's.

Don't know. The tuk tuk driver just brought me. The queue was long but they were very quick. Peoplecsaid go early but I wonder if you went later they would be just playing on their phones and ypu would get served quicker. 

I read the whole thread. Great info!

Short story: I'm 36, I got married early 2022 and with an agent I was able to switch from the crackdown volunteer visa to marriage extension which will expire May 2023.

I do not want to pay agent another 35-40k baht to extend another year within Thailand (I won't met the financial).

I read here that I can do Multi-Entry Non-O Based on Marriage without showing proof of funds in Savannakhet. This would allow me to border bounce every 150 days (90 days + 60 days extension).

My question: Are report favorable in Savannakhet right now for people who tried to get Non-O while having a volunteer visa in their current passport? p.s: I already know that worse case I can come back and get 45 days visa exempt as there are report of volunteer visa not being an issue at border.

Thank!

Edited by Tomate

2 hours ago, Tomate said:

I read the whole thread. Great info!

Short story: I'm 36, I got married early 2022 and with an agent I was able to switch from the crackdown volunteer visa to marriage extension which will expire May 2023.

I do not want to pay agent another 35-40k baht to extend another year within Thailand (I won't met the financial).

I read here that I can do Multi-Entry Non-O Based on Marriage without showing proof of funds in Savannakhet. This would allow me to border bounce every 150 days (90 days + 60 days extension).

My question: Are report favorable in Savannakhet right now for people who tried to get Non-O while having a volunteer visa in their current passport? p.s: I already know that worse case I can come back and get 45 days visa exempt as there are report of volunteer visa not being an issue at border.

Thank!

You should have no problems at the consulate in Savannakhet. They will not be interested in extensions issued by immigration in Thailand.

I have a Retirement Extension and associated Multiple Re-entry Permit that expires on 15 February 2023. Can you confirm that I will only be able to get a Multi-Entry Non-O (marriage) in Savanakhet in the same passport AFTER the current entitlement expires?

I believe there's also an option of getting the Multi-Entry Non-O (marriage) at the RT Consulate in Ho Chi Minh City. If there's any links to a thread where this has been done recently, that would be appreciated.

Edited by NanLaew

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I have a Retirement Extension and associated Multiple Re-entry Permit that expires on 15 February 2023. Can you confirm that I will only be able to get a Multi-Entry Non-O (marriage) in Savanakhet in the same passport AFTER the current entitlement expires?

If there is significant time left on the re-entry permit, the consulate will probably not want to give you a new visa (and you would rarely need one). However, there should be no problem if there is just a couple of weeks validity left on the re-entry permit. On the other hand, if the re-entry permit protects an extension based on working, there is much more likely to be an issue. Unusually for Thailand, these kinds of new visa issues tend to be handled pretty logically.

EDIT: If you are still worried, you can have the re-entry permit cancelled at the location where you originally acquired it.

Edited by BritTim

On 11/19/2022 at 5:29 AM, ubonjoe said:

The Lao border guards' exchange rates are absolutely hilarious,I remember laughing along with the immigration guy one time at the Friendship Bridge border on the way to Vientiane?

So basically make sure you have the right money in US Dollars!

On 12/4/2022 at 9:32 AM, BritTim said:

If there is significant time left on the re-entry permit, the consulate will probably not want to give you a new visa (and you would rarely need one). However, there should be no problem if there is just a couple of weeks validity left on the re-entry permit. On the other hand, if the re-entry permit protects an extension based on working, there is much more likely to be an issue. Unusually for Thailand, these kinds of new visa issues tend to be handled pretty logically.

EDIT: If you are still worried, you can have the re-entry permit cancelled at the location where you originally acquired it.

Thanks for that. It's not linked to any work, just an old man enjoying his twilight years in the Land of Smiles.

The re-entry permit was issued at BKK so theoretically I could stop by the extension desk and ask them to cancel it before I fly to Vietnam.

Actually, I would like the multi-entry Non-O to go in my other UK passport but I ran the gauntlet of Immigration at BKK about 7 years ago when I tried a visa waiver entry on that passport. The IO started gurning as his database showed I had the other passport, had an extension, was married (used to do Mar. Ext. so in their database), lived in Udon, etc.. His supervisor was even worse and thought that one of my passports was fake. The upshot was being told if you have a passport with a valid visa and/or extension in it, that's the only one that's allowed for entry to Thailand.

YMMV

TiT

Edited by NanLaew