The Bangkok River Level Thread 2022 - Please post your river level photos

Crossy

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

At least some of our pets are happy with the water situation. Chooks, guinea fowl, dogs are rather less happy.

How far from the house foundation @Crossy.  Hopefully it drains quickly before the mosquitos start to breed.  Stay safe.

• Like 1

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

How far from the house foundation @Crossy.  Hopefully it drains quickly before the mosquitos start to breed.  Stay safe.

House is on 16m driven piles into Bangkok clay, I doubt it's going anywhere.

Mozzies are a worry but there are a lot of fish of various sizes in there which should help.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Crossy said:

House is on 16m driven piles into Bangkok clay, I doubt it's going anywhere.

Wow, you did plan on a wee bit of water now & then.  So nice the municipality helped with putting you on the wrong side of the 'dam' ????

Certainly very slightly worse at Wanglang (in central Bangkok) today at near high tide.

20221008_183642.thumb.jpg.5ed5070caed87f2fe4c71712a43e2871.jpg

The naval base (for recruits to learn to row the old longboats) over the Bangkok Noi canal-- the notorious location of the start of flooding in 2011-- did not even have any flooding (last week it was ankle deep). Looks like they got their sandbags out.

• Like 1

Not really much to report, peak level last night was pretty similar to previous highs.

Several days of high tides coming ???? 

image.jpeg.866927ab6ecf61ace4e76fab91d8bdb9.jpeg

I've also added a "Panic" indicator that I can see with the CCTV whilst in bed ???? 

The black line is level with our downstairs floor (there are sandbags on top too). There's only a couple of inches of freeboard but with no wash from passing traffic even a few mm is sufficient.

image.jpeg.5bfe9c5865b7b007b20380636852b4cc.jpeg

• Like 2

There is an evacuation alert for the city's north.

River and canal-bank residents of Rangsit to the north of Bangkok have been told to prepare to move their belongings to higher ground.

All of central Thailand's largest dams are overflowing now:

image.png.52a50f95fadccb67c1540a9f9a2960a6.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lujanit said:

That correlates with information told to me a few days ago that authorities are going to divert water to the east.

Is there any information on which waterways they will use for the diversions?

8 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Is there any information on which waterways they will use for the diversions?

I just asked and she told me it was a message a few days ago in the Line app.  I don't use Line, maybe you do.  Sorry not much help I know. :sad:

• Like 1

Just now, degrub said:

All fingers crossed . Maybe some luck will come down the river.

At least we get it as a slow-motion train wreck, not the flash floods like some of the poor souls up north ???? 

35 minutes ago, degrub said:

I don’t know which would be worse, 5 minutes of terror or a slow drip. Either way, the mind does funny things.

Been through tornadoes and hurricanes.  About the same, i reckon.

Me too, Cyclone, frightened fartless.

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

It would appear that drawing a line on a bit of masking tape is effective flood prevention. The level stopped just short of my "Panic" marker.

Sadly, I suspect there will be a continuing upwards trend ???? 

image.jpeg.efa711bd2a137cebde7b9dda2fdee858.jpeg

Stay safe Crossy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Are you basically stuck inside the house? Do you have enough supplies to hold you over?

We have plenty of food, but we can get out if we have to. We have a 4x4 pickup in the car port which I can use as a ferry to the road where the Mu-X is parked on the other side of the sandbags. There's one road out available at present, others are closed off with flood measures ???? 

The only issue is there's a load of floating detritus outside, which comes in when the gates are opened.

• Like 1

Just now, Crossy said:

We have plenty of food, but we can get out if we have to. We have a 4x4 pickup in the car port which I can use as a ferry to the road where the Mu-X is parked on the other side of the sandbags. There's one road out available at present, others are closed off with flood measures ???? 

The only issue is there's a load of floating detritus outside, which comes in when the gates are opened.

Time to get a ladder that's tall enough to go up and over the gate so you can avoid opening it, yes I know it is a little to late for that preparation.  BTW, is this the first year you have had water like this in your location?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

Time to get a ladder that's tall enough to go up and over the gate so you can avoid opening it, yes I know it is a little to late for that preparation.  BTW, is this the first year you have had water like this in your location?

There is actually a pedestrian gate, but the water is still pretty deep there, I like to take the car right to the sandbags (in reverse so I can load shopping directly into the bed).

This flooding is the worst we've seen since we moved in in 2012. The 2011 mega-flood put about 600mm of water in the downstairs of the house (under construction at the time).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1