The Bangkok River Level Thread 2022 - Please post your river level photos

Crossy

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

There is actually a pedestrian gate, but the water is still pretty deep there, I like to take the car right to the sandbags (in reverse so I can load shopping directly into the bed).

This flooding is the worst we've seen since we moved in in 2012. The 2011 mega-flood put about 600mm of water in the downstairs of the house (under construction at the time).

Sounds like Castle Crossy needs a mote, with a few sump pumps, to go around the house and you could put in a drawbridge, dungeons downstairs for the infidels.  By the way how is the solar holding up?

We do actually have a moat, ok khlong, which is on 3.5 sides (security really isn't a problem ???? ), unfortunately it's connected to the river ???? 

Solar is doing its job very nicely now the replacement inverter is operating (that arrived just in time ????) battery backup works great if the mains goes off (which it has twice since Friday). 

The only negative, if you could really call it that, is that you can't tell that the mains has gone off until the batteries are exhausted or the load goes over 3kW at which point the genset starts.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, lujanit said:

The tree in the middle of the pic is dying.  We have two of them.  When I went for a walk yesterday afternoon all the same trees are dying.  They don't like wet feet.  I don't know what they are called.  They give masses of bright yellow flowers when in blown.

Are they golden shower trees?

nurserylive-seeds-cassia-fistula-golden-shower-tree-0-5-kg-seeds-16968694005900_600x600.jpg?v=1634215569

The golden shower tree was chosen as the national flower of Thailand in 2001 in part because the yellow can represent both Buddhism and King Rama IX.

It is also the provincial flower of Khon Kaen.

And you are right... they don't like wet feet.

Growth for this tree is best in full sun in well-drained soil.

I hope that they survive.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Hang in there Crossy.  With the storms slowing down in the north hopefully things will start dropping level wise.

Sorry, I spoke to soon this according to a new meteorological report.

• Like 1

We only got a little water in the downstairs, the sandbags did their job of reducing the flow so one of the pumps could manage.

However, this is the latest low at Pak Kret, and it's still raining ???? 

High at Pak Kret is at about 10:15AM and it's a pretty high, high ???? 

image.png.3b4c940a1ac0ab516a311a72998c6d03.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, Pak Kret is already at last night's peak level and still 2 hours to high water ???? 

Watching the news and they are showing Wat Arun being under water right now, with the pumps working full bore and putting the water back into the Chao Phyra....like bailing out a sinking ship that's taking on water....I feel sad for all of you folks that are experiencing this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Meanwhile, Madam has declared that I have to build a permanent flood barrier at the house. I'd actually planned it from day one but never got one of those "round-tuit" things.

So once the water retreats, we will be building.

Of course, this will guarantee that we never flood ever again :whistling:

So the house will be known from now and hitherto as Castle Crossy......make sure you have some parapets and ramparts included....all written tongue in cheek of course.  Stay safe Sir.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

We have been "Baan Farang" with the local HomePro for 10+ years. The first time we had stuff delivered we had no actual address so Baan Farang and the village it was, never fails so we've never changed it ???? 

I just saw one of Madam's koi swim past ...

Koi have escaped, unless they are swimming in the house.......drop some food and recover those that you can.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Crossy said:

We have been "Baan Farang" with the local HomePro for 10+ years. The first time we had stuff delivered we had no actual address so Baan Farang and the village it was, never fails so we've never changed it ???? 

I just saw one of Madam's koi swim past ...

As long as a croc doesn't swim by you're good.

We (me and my family from Sisaket Isaan) are supposed to be meeting up and staying with my Anglo-German nephew and his family at the Shangri-La Bangkok Hotel this Thursday and Friday night.

The Shangri-La is on the river in the same area as the Mandarin, almost adjoining Saphan Taksin BTS station and just a couple of blocks west of Charoen Krung Rd. Bangkok Post last weekend were predicting that the Chao Praya would flood Charoen Krung Rd when the overload from the North arrives. They were talking specifically about Chinatown area. Knowing that area of Bangkok well (having stayed at the Shangri-La many times on business before retiring to Thailand 14 years ago and having owned a regularly-used condo in OnNut since retiring here) I would have thought that, if there is flooding in Chinatown, surely it will spread the few kilometers south and inundate those sois west of Charoen Krung Rd that contain Shangri-La and Saphan Taksin.

Any thoughts? Has the Chao Praya overflowed into southern Chinatown before and did it get down to the area of which I speak? The hotel says 'we don't expect our area to flood' without giving specific reason for that confidence. They would say that wouldn't they.

On 10/10/2022 at 2:45 PM, Jai Dee said:

Are they golden shower trees?

No.  I just asked, in English they are called Glittering Gold.  I can't even pronounce the Thai name. The flowers and the leaves are different.  They trees are all over the place.  Usually the are a mass of colour when the sun shines for days on end.  They give flowers all year round.

The Moo Baan replaced the submersible as it shifted little water.  In place there is a similar pump to the other three.

The Thai news just announced that the water from the north will arrive in BKK on the 16 Oct.

Crossy there are lots of flood protection videos on YT.  Some are modular and be stored away.  NOAQ Boxwall looks interesting.  There's a Chinese version also.

Glittering Gold flower

IMG_5108.jpeg

NOAQ Boxwall

IMG_5109.jpeg

Edited by lujanit
  • Like 1