German claims he was warned off by police from pursuing his political protests against acting PM

webfact

3 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

First sentence: 100% agree. The second sentence depends on the individual situation. Anyone who has a business here, has a Thai family, has children together, has settled in Thailand for a long time, pays taxes, etc. is more or less affected by political decisions.

Anyone living and working here is to some extent deporting this militaristic regime.... they are ci doing all its actions .... unless there something about it.

Anyone living and working here is to some extent deporting this militaristic regime.... they are ci doing all its actions .... unless there something about it.

21 minutes ago, Red Forever said:

Ok I geddit: we're guests here as so many posters remind us but hey, it may be their country but it's our world.

Many travellers have imparted knowledge to poor countries by way of technology, civil engineering and helped rid countries of dictatorship.

Not saying this guy went about it the right way but to blithely trot out the old "we're only guests" line is to perpetuate the status quo whereby nothing changes.

I thought it was a case of "Mind Your Own Business" in somebody else's country, I mean, would you stand in Moscow wiv a picy of Putin with a red cross on it....?  ????

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Many of us come from countries where there is freedom of expression - Thailand and Russia does not have these same freedoms.

It's somewhat ironic that those countries where these freedoms are suppressed are the very countries where these individual acts of protest are more important. 

Part of those freedoms include the irrelevance of race, nationality, gender etc of the person protesting or voicing opinion. 

IMO there is far more wrong with the suppression of protest than the act of protest itself, no matter who is protesting. 

I feel the same way. It is clear how best to behave within the given freedom framework of a country without encountering any problems. In the worst case, you are not allowed to say anything more publicly and have to accept any idiotic rubbish without complaint, even if you are negatively affected by it.

But it also makes sense to question the given freedom framework. And this framework of freedom to express one's opinion openly is becoming narrower and more and more curtailed. Unfortunately.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

I feel the same way. It is clear how best to behave within the given freedom framework of a country without encountering any problems. In the worst case, you are not allowed to say anything more publicly and have to accept any idiotic rubbish without complaint, even if you are negatively affected by it.

But it also makes sense to question the given freedom framework. And this framework of freedom to express one's opinion openly is becoming narrower and more and more curtailed. Unfortunately.

Try and campaign against immigration in Germany  and see  what happens

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

In LOS we farangy's are near all non-immigrants, aliens, guests, I think it obvious you don't start slagging the place or its governance off unless you are looking for trouble........????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Try and campaign against immigration in Germany  and see  what happens

That's easy. There are many legal avenues of action open against a decision by the immigration authorities.

The legal systems differ significantly from each other.

33 minutes ago, transam said:

In LOS we farangy's are near all non-immigrants, aliens, guests, I think it obvious you don't start slagging the place or its governance off unless you are looking for trouble........????

That is clear if you want to stay in Thailand without any problems. You adapt and have a low profile if possible.

I guess there is a general consensus on this in the forum.

The possibility of free expression of opinion is restricted and for foreigners, as can be seen in this case, even more.

And you may or may not be critical of that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tomacht8 said:

That is clear if you want to stay in Thailand without any problems. You adapt and have a low profile if possible.

I guess there is a general consensus on this in the forum.

The possibility of free expression of opinion is restricted and for foreigners, as can be seen in this case, even more.

And you may or may not be critical of that.

Yes, that's why I think this bloke is a sandwich short of a picnic....:crazy:

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

That's easy. There are many legal avenues of action open against a decision by the immigration authorities.

The legal systems differ significantly from each other.

Those who campaign on certain  issues are sidelined, denigrated, banned, labelled and silenced and the best  example of this is suppression of dissent and the  discussion about Islamic immigration, misogyny,  streetcrime,  harassment and a whole  host of ills. In particular the voice of German  girls and women has been silenced.

14 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Those who campaign on certain  issues are sidelined, denigrated, banned, labelled and silenced and the best  example of this is suppression of dissent and the  discussion about Islamic immigration, misogyny,  streetcrime,  harassment and a whole  host of ills. In particular the voice of German  girls and women has been silenced.

This is your perception. My perception is different. The German government has an office for integration and foreigner policy since more than 30 years. To name just one difference. Foreigners in Germany are allowed to speak their mind publicly without fear of reprisals. Whole talk shows in German television make a living from it.

However, Islamic hate preachers who publicly call for violence and the overthrow of the state are forbidden. Freedom of expression has its limits. And that's good.

Edited by tomacht8

16 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

This is your perception. My perception is different. The German government has an office for integration and foreigner policy since more than 30 years. To name just one difference. Foreigners in Germany are allowed to speak their mind publicly without fear of reprisals. Whole talk shows in German television make a living from it.

However, Islamic hate preachers who publicly call for violence and the overthrow of the state are forbidden. Freedom of expression has its limits. And that's good.

https://townhall.com/columnists/ianhaworth/2019/12/02/angela-merkel-and-german-freedom-of-speech-n2557309

10 hours ago, dddave said:

If Germany is like the US, NOT a free trip.  If the US has to cover a deportation, they will hound the deportee and his relatives until it is paid back...and it's not a discount ticket.

If you get deported from Thailand,  you have to pay for the ticket first. The time until your flight you spend in IDC.

If you don't have money you wait in IDC until someone pays for you.

There are people in IDC waiting for years. 

The German goverment will not pay.

Deportation is not a free ticket.