Biden speech denouncing Trump, 'MAGA ideology' sparks threats, calls for violence

onthedarkside

21 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

?

Sorry I don't get what you want.  I provided a "top 10" list of issues that voters think are very important. The "threat to democracy" did not make the list. Neither did environmental concerns, interestingly.   So I am not sure what you want.  

Climate change was in the list. 42% said its a very big problem. Only 11% said not a problem at all. Wonder who were these 11%?

Edited by Eric Loh
wrong word

On 9/12/2022 at 5:04 PM, Hanaguma said:

?

Sorry I don't get what you want.  I provided a "top 10" list of issues that voters think are very important. The "threat to democracy" did not make the list. Neither did environmental concerns, interestingly.   So I am not sure what you want.  

Really?

Threats to democracy top list of issues facing US: poll

Threats to democracy clocked in as the most important issue facing the country for a plurality of registered voters, according to an NBC News poll.

The poll found that 21 percent of respondents ranked threats to democracy as the most important issue, followed by 16 percent who indicated the cost of living and 14 percent who said jobs and the economy.

When respondents were asked to choose their top two issues, threats to democracy tied with cost of living as a top concern for 29 percent of respondents. Jobs and the economy clocked in at 28 percent, followed by immigration and climate change.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3610753-threats-to-democracy-top-list-of-issues-facing-us-poll/

Edited by metisdead
6. After pasting a reply format the text you have pasted. An easy way to do this is to click the "Paste as plain text instead" option at the bottom of the reply box.
  • Thanks 2

On 9/12/2022 at 1:45 PM, Hanaguma said:

According to Pew Research, these are the top 10 issues in order of importance: economy, gun policy, violent crime, health care, voting policy, education, Supreme Court, abortion, energy policy, immigration.  How many of these issues did Biden address in his speech? How many do Democrats want to talk about at all?

I don't see "democracy under threat" on that list. Gas prices? $2.28 a gallon in December 2020, stlil averaging $4.00 now, hardly a win for Biden.   Inflation? 1.4% in December 2020, nearly 8% today. As for the abortion issue, it is pretty much 50/50. Most Americans favor some limits on abortion availability. Few are extreme- either wanting it banned or wanting it legal until the moment of birth. 

So what has Joe done to be proud of exactly?  He would surely be campaigning on his record if he had one to tout. Not trying to drum up old divisions and fears.

The latest Pew Poll that I saw was dated May 12, 2022. Lots has changed since then. Like this, for example:

image.png.b99767539a7a07d72894800e6acb3010.png

image.png.8828717d3c693053505f3415cd333a17.png

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/generic-ballot/

• Thanks 2

On 9/11/2022 at 12:37 AM, candide said:

Pennsylvania governor candidate Doug Mastriano prayed Trump would 'seize the power' ahead of January 6, video shows

"I pray that we'll take responsibility — we'll seize the power that we had given to us by the Constitution, and as well by You, providentially. I pray for the leaders also in the federal government, God, on the 6th of January that they will rise up with boldness," he said.

https://news.yahoo.com/pennsylvania-governor-candidate-doug-mastriano-014302235.html

He is the sort that non-MAGA Republicans are afraid of.  I could picture him doing something completely off-the-wall if elected, like putting a neighborhood with mostly ethnic residents under siege.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, candide said:

Here we are!

Trump warns of 'problems' like 'we've never seen' if he's indicted

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-warns-problems-weve-never-145023687.html

3cccd4163835b62245aa4093abf41acd.jpeg.jpg

If Political parties are using use of the law to stop opponents running in elections , they would be corrupting the democratic vote and one would hope that American citizens wouldn't accept that corruption .

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

If Political parties are using use of the law to stop opponents running in elections , they would be corrupting the democratic vote and one would hope that American citizens wouldn't accept that corruption .

I am not sure I understand. Do you mean the law should not be applied to political opponents?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, candide said:

I am not sure I understand. Do you mean the law should not be applied to political opponents?

The law shouldn't be used JUST because they are Political opponents .

If a President was concerned about his popularity decreasing and losing the next election , getting his opponent  arrested would be going against democratic principles 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/11/2022 at 10:01 PM, LosLobo said:

Trump's always covers his ****, by firstly clearly promoting his hate rhetoric, then days later walking it back. This gives approval to the supremacists then the walk back provides cover for his apologists and general confusion.

Note that these "walk back" words will probably not be covered by Fox or the other networks that have fallen off the edge of the sane world.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, candide said:

Here we are!

Trump warns of 'problems' like 'we've never seen' if he's indicted

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-warns-problems-weve-never-145023687.html

When DT goes vague like this it means he has nothing.

An enemy is targeted, of which he says "he (or she) has done some bad things!"  You well know if he had any details he would not shy away from saying them.  And when he thinks he has something he will repeat it incessantly.

And always be weary when he uses the word we

He told the 1/6 rioters "we love you."  Like that old punchline "what mean WE, white man?"

47 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

He claims otherwise though . 

It remains to be seen whether the raids on his home were genuine necessary raids and there were genuine legitimate  concerns  about secrets  and classified material or whether the raids were done to stop Trump running in the next election .

We are still waiting to find out

He claims otherwise! Lol! As if he had any credibility! ( You know, the same guy who claims he won the 2020 elections)

BTW what if a politician would  have strengthened a law just to harm a political opponent, and would ultimately end up having a taste of his own medicine? Should he feel outraged or just dumb?

Edited by candide
  • Like 2

On 9/16/2022 at 3:31 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

He claims otherwise though . 

It remains to be seen whether the raids on his home were genuine necessary raids and there were genuine legitimate  concerns  about secrets  and classified material or whether the raids were done to stop Trump running in the next election .

We are still waiting to find out

We know that this began with the National Archives asking Trump to return documents to the government. Documents that the law which he signed clearly forbade him from. It would have been a simple matter to return them immediately. Trump failed to fully comply with their request. It was only then, after about 1 year, that the justice department got involved at the request of NARA.

• Like 2

*Deleted post edited out*

More than a third of the accounts Donald Trump has amplified on his Truth Social platform in the last month have promoted QAnon by sharing the movement's slogans, videos or imagery

On Tuesday, using his Truth Social platform, the Republican former president reposted an image of himself wearing a Q lapel pin overlaid with the words “The Storm is Coming.” In QAnon lore, the “storm” refers to Trump’s final victory, when supposedly he will regain power and his opponents will be tried, and potentially executed, on live television.

https://apnews.com/article/technology-donald-trump-conspiracy-theories-government-and-politics-db50c6f709b1706886a876ae6ac298e2

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Both conspiracy and incitement to riot.

More than a third of the accounts Donald Trump has amplified on his Truth Social platform in the last month have promoted QAnon by sharing the movement's slogans, videos or imagery

On Tuesday, using his Truth Social platform, the Republican former president reposted an image of himself wearing a Q lapel pin overlaid with the words “The Storm is Coming.” In QAnon lore, the “storm” refers to Trump’s final victory, when supposedly he will regain power and his opponents will be tried, and potentially executed, on live television.

https://apnews.com/article/technology-donald-trump-conspiracy-theories-government-and-politics-db50c6f709b1706886a876ae6ac298e2

On top of it, It's quite a ridiculous image!

The bone spurred storm! ????

FcigOFuWAAEiC7L.png

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/16/2022 at 2:02 AM, Mac Mickmanus said:

Well, we do know as an actual fact of a certain President who actually asked a President of another country to do him a favor and announce a criminal investigation of the opponent who ultimately defeated him in an election. I'm sure you could never defend such a person.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, candide said:

Ahem...

Supporters Salute Trump at Ohio Rally

https://news.yahoo.com/supporters-salute-trump-ohio-rally-171644389.html

fbdc241185a8c5df08d6f4a4f9ad5329.png

They're telling us what they are. There is no mystery. The question is will Americans have the will to stop them from going further.

Retired General Compares Trump's Ohio Rally to Hitler's 1936 Nazi Event (newsweek.com)

Retired four-star U.S. Army General Barry McCaffrey compared Donald Trump's Saturday night rally in Ohio to a rally held by Adolf Hitler's Nazi Party in 1936 in Nuremberg, Germany.

"Astonishing Trump language. The crowd is similar to a Nuremberg rally 1936. A lawless Trump in office in 2024 election would slide us into autocracy and deny our Constitutional safeguards

Electing the super MAGA election deniers in the midterms will be a sign they are not being stopped.

• Like 2