Biden speech denouncing Trump, 'MAGA ideology' sparks threats, calls for violence

onthedarkside

2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

No. Not me. There is no way to check this "data" properly, with references like that.

How do you check the data with a poll aside from rely on the results given?

Would you like to check the data properly with the crime statistics as well? How would you do that?

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think the fact that Biden had a reason for that speech is the sad part here.

Could anybody imagine 10 years ago that an American president would refuse to accept the certified result of the vote?

And then, would anybody have imagined that the outgoing president would not only deny reality but then inflame the organized mob to storm the capitol?

And then? Many of us thought now it's over, finally. But it wasn't over.

Then lots of GOP politicians, who maybe for a day criticized Trump, supported him again.

I could add hundred similar lines to this post. A few years ago nobody would have thought any of that could happen.

Remember, we all thought W was bad, and we thought it could not possibly get worse. Those times...

And now millions and millions of Americans are so far away from reality that they still support all the utterly crazy things which happen over there.

In 2006 the film Idiocracy showed a crazy president, 500 years in the future. Look at this now and it almost looks like a normal speech of this MAGA guy.

Quo Vadis America?

I think It's not only about stupidity. I would tend to think that some Trump supporters are not that stupid, but rather consider that all shots are allowed against the other camp.

Hence the relevance of referring to fascism.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Now I don't find the link. Not long ago I saw a video with interviews of people who came to see Trump at one of those MAGA events. Obviously I don't know how much editing was necessary but it seemed all of them were utterly ignorant and/or stupid. They didn't want to look at anything that could possibly change their minds. I.e. Ivanka Trump testifying that Biden won, that must be fake. And and and.

I am sure there are also people like you describe. But it seems the MAGA masses are stupid and ignorant, and they do everything to stay like that.

In a way that shouldn't be my concern. If Americans want to vote for such a guy to be their president because they think he represents them, fine, let them do it. But there is the rest of the world which can't just ignore America. 

Agree. trump is not isolated to US politics nor insulated from world affairs - unfortunately he's an influencer on the world stage - IMO it will a huge negative for USA and world stability should he again win the Presidency.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Would you like to check the data properly with the crime statistics as well? How would you do that?

1. It's not a poll.

2. Precisely

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Many of us though so many people can't be so ignorant and stupid for such a long time. They must wake up at some time, and many of us though let them wake up and accept reality.

But somehow lots of people don't want to see reality. So finally, someone has to tell them that they should align their thinking with the truth.

Oh right. Align or?

8 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Agree. trump is not isolated to US politics nor insulated from world affairs - unfortunately he's an influencer on the world stage - IMO it will a huge negative for USA and world stability should he again win the Presidency.

If a poll was taken I'd bet that neither biden nor Trump 2024 would be the people's choice for president.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Probably. But I think it could backfire perfectly.

Really? You think that Trump's performances in Pennslyvania are a plus for Republican candidates? You think that someone so easily triggered is not going to be voicing the same kind of repugnant comments over and over again?

15 minutes ago, simple1 said:

To me it seemed that the world stabilized quite a bit while Trump was president - no new foreign wars nor major threats - I can only say the opposite about Biden so far.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Really? You think that Trump's performances in Pennslyvania are a plus for Republican candidates? You think that someone so easily triggered is not going to be voicing the same kind of repugnant comments over and over again?

I was talking about Biden's rant.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I was talking about Biden's rant.

Even if Biden's speech could be characterized as a rant, do you think it's anywhere near the league of Trump's outright vicious and lunatic comments? All Biden has to do now is sit back and watch Trump ruin the chances of so many Republican candidates. Or do you believe that Trump will repent of his ways and only talk sense from now on?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What do you think? Is it good that people know the truth and act according to the truth?

I.e. should people know the earth is not flat?

Is there any advantage of leaving flat-earthers ignorant?

There was a time when the political left and right just had different opinions. We could argue about how we would like to see the future. One example is we could argue if poor people should be supported with taxes from the rich people and to what extent. There are many positions and one or the other position is not really right or wrong, they are just different.

But now, at least in the USA, it seems it's always us against them. If they say A is true, then we must insist A is wrong.

The "problem" is that there are some universal truths. Biden won, Trump lost, is one of those truth. And inciting people to overthrow an election result is something that should never happen in any democracy - even if we don't like the winner.

The US constitutional democracy allows individual freedoms and beliefs.

As soon as those rights and liberties are withdrawn. then it is no longer a democracy.

14 minutes ago, simple1 said:

trump  carried on with existing US military involvement with overseas wars as well as negotiaiting with terrorists, whilst excluding the exisiting government. He also signalled intent contrary to US strategic interests. Yes, IS was mostly destoyed whilst he was in power, but that was just a continuation os existing strategy. Unfortunately he attempted to betray the Kurd who were the main infrantry combatants against IS. So far as I'm aware Biden Administration has not committed US forces to any new war or generated new threats.

What are you on about "intent"?

Just now, placeholder said:

Yes. Nothing is stopping Americans from believing that the Earth is flat or that Donald Trump actually won the 2020 election. But because Americans enjoy freedom of speech, there is no law compelling such nonsensical beliefs to be treated with respect.

Point well missed but that's OK.

3 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Ok seems you need to rewind a little, you say "There is no way to check this "data" properly" because the report says the following:

"We pulled the data from yearly crime reports released by state governments, specifically the Departments of Justice and Safety. For states that didn’t issue state crime reports, we pulled data from reputable local news sources."

https://www.thirdway.org/report/the-red-state-murder-problem

So tell me why are you concerned about checking the data when you do not seem concerned on checking the data from random polls or crime statistics?

I know why, because its not from Fox News but I'll leave that with you...............lol

For anyone else who wants to check the data then all they need to do is email or contact Thirdway.org which I'm sure the Washington Post also did when they ran the report.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

how depressing is the state of the current leadership selections in the US .......  

Joe Biden who talks like he's got a mouth full of marbles, with constant mistakes in speeches etc ....

and another crook named Trump who supports Russia & China .....   jeeeeze .....   god help us !

image.png.2c1d2bf8e650a689f08f009b673a8530.png

source: https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-compliments-fierce-smart-putin-101715059.html

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1