Biden speech denouncing Trump, 'MAGA ideology' sparks threats, calls for violence

onthedarkside

17 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

"Muddy the waters" That is Trump's playbook!

Trump's always covers his ****, by firstly clearly promoting his hate rhetoric, then days later walking it back. This gives approval to the supremacists then the walk back provides cover for his apologists and general confusion. Propagandist's main objective is to create confusion, so no-one believes the truth anymore. It seems to have worked on 73 million.

Is it possible, just maybe, for a political discussion to not devolve into a Trump-based whingefest?  Bad enough that the current occupant of the White House does it, no need for everyone else to as well. 

The former President isn't on the ballot this fall. The current administration IS, at least in policy form. That is why I found it rather discomfiting that President Biden said nothing at all about the issues that Americans care about in his speech. Inflation, gas and energy policy, immigration, none were even given a word.  Which is a sad testament to the current administration. They see their only path to victory is in trying to re-win the past election and hope people don't notice.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

Is it possible, just maybe, for a political discussion to not devolve into a Trump-based whingefest?  Bad enough that the current occupant of the White House does it, no need for everyone else to as well. 

The former President isn't on the ballot this fall. The current administration IS, at least in policy form. That is why I found it rather discomfiting that President Biden said nothing at all about the issues that Americans care about in his speech. Inflation, gas and energy policy, immigration, none were even given a word.  Which is a sad testament to the current administration. They see their only path to victory is in trying to re-win the past election and hope people don't notice.

They don't need to re-win the past election they already won it!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

You said you haven’t seen any survey on democracy under threat and I gave you one. So now you shift the goal post and make your ignorance conditional. You are wasting my time. 

No, I didn't. I said that it didn't figure in the latest Pew research. You gave me an 8 month old article.  I am sure that some people care about it, but according to Pew there are many other issues that are seen as more pressing. 

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Would you like some more up to dates ones as well? They don't even contain the "Big Lie" in the headlines but I'm sure you'll find something to discard them:

1st Sept 2022 Americans Are Increasingly Fearful That Democracy Will Collapse

More Americans are concerned that democracy in the U.S. is in danger of collapse, according to a new poll from Quinnipiac University.

The poll's findings, which were published on Wednesday, come ahead of President Joe Biden's scheduled prime-time address to the nation on Thursday night. Biden is expected to address threat to democracy during the speech.

1st Sept 2022 Americans continue to feel U.S. democracy is under threat

Americans continue to believe democracy and the rule of law are under threat — a view that's remained high over the last year and is at 72% today — though they believe that for an assortment of reasons. The influence of money in politics tops the list of reasons, among those who feel it is threatened. The potential for political violence concerns most across party lines. Two-thirds cite people trying to overturn elections as a major threat. Just under half of Americans believe a major threat comes from people voting illegally, but this view is held by a majority of Republicans .

The Newsweek article resorted to "the Big Lie", so it is tainted. 

The CBS results were interesting, but again does not put "threats to democracy" in context of other issues that are on the minds of voters.  Pew does.  Also showed that money and violence were the two biggest threats.

These are sadly bipartisan problems, if anything more prevalent on the left.  I mean, you see the Democrats actively funding MAGA candidates in primaries these days- all in the hopes of getting GOP candidates they think are beatable. How cynical is that? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Man, you're just jumping all over the place.  Firstly, the Big Lie is understood by everyone that it's Trump's fake claim of election fraud in 2020.  It's "big" and it's a "lie," pretty accurate.  The only people who would claim that the term is "tainted" are those who believe Trump won the election.  Who cares what those people think.

As for Dem's supporting MAGA candidates, Trump was no different.  He was pushing for Bernie Sanders to get the Democratic nomination prior to the 2020 election because he knew Sanders was more beatable.

[President Trump has stepped up his efforts to boost Bernie Sanders’ presidential campaign and to sow doubts among Sanders’ supporters about the fairness of the nomination process, an update of the disruptive strategy he believes helped him win the White House four years ago.]

[Many of Trump’s allies see Sanders as the most beatable Democrat in November, although there is growing debate over whether they are underestimating Sanders’ ability to galvanize a hidden bloc of disgruntled voters, as Trump did in 2016.]

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-02-28/trump-seeks-to-boost-sanders-and-foment-discord-among-democrats

"The Big Lie" was an anti-semitic trope used by Hitler and the Nazis to falsely smear their Jewish compatriots.  It is gaining traction lately in an attempt to link the GOP to Hitler's goons. But it really comes across as hysterical and not appropriate and has no place in modern politics.

"But Trump did it" is a pretty poor excuse for the Democrats' strategy. Are your standards really that low? Plus at the time the GOP wasn't pushing a narrative that Democrats were threatening the foundations of the Republic. Sorry, you can't have it both ways. IF "MAGA people" are actually a serious and unique threat to the country, it is the height of cynicism and hypocrisy to spend even one thin dime to get them nominated.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

"The Big Lie" was an anti-semitic trope used by Hitler and the Nazis to falsely smear their Jewish compatriots.  It is gaining traction lately in an attempt to link the GOP to Hitler's goons. But it really comes across as hysterical and not appropriate and has no place in modern politics.

"But Trump did it" is a pretty poor excuse for the Democrats' strategy. Are your standards really that low? Plus at the time the GOP wasn't pushing a narrative that Democrats were threatening the foundations of the Republic. Sorry, you can't have it both ways. IF "MAGA people" are actually a serious and unique threat to the country, it is the height of cynicism and hypocrisy to spend even one thin dime to get them nominated.

Chancellor Hitler, Franz von Papen and National Catholic Party.

Trump's admiration for Hitler.

President Trump, GOP and Federalist Society.

Join the dots!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

No, I didn't. I said that it didn't figure in the latest Pew research. You gave me an 8 month old article.  I am sure that some people care about it, but according to Pew there are many other issues that are seen as more pressing. 

You said that according to PEW research there are many other issues that are more pressing than threat to democracy. What about providing PEW research showing the threat to democracy is not a pressing issue compare to the list you provided. You are making assumption not backed up by real data to suit your narrative with malefide intention. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

You said that according to PEW research there are many other issues that are more pressing than threat to democracy. What about providing PEW research showing the threat to democracy is not a pressing issue compare to the list you provided. You are making assumption not backed up by real data to suit your narrative with malefide intention. 

?

Sorry I don't get what you want.  I provided a "top 10" list of issues that voters think are very important. The "threat to democracy" did not make the list. Neither did environmental concerns, interestingly.   So I am not sure what you want.  

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Would you prefer they referred to it as "The Big Election Lie"? both mean the same thing but send in suggestions on a postcard.

However Trump prefers the term "The Big Lie"

Former President Donald Trump on Monday announced he’ll begin to use the term “the big lie” – commonly used by his critics to describe his baseless election fraud claims – to refer to the 2020 election results, a sign he has no plans to tone down his rhetoric as one social media platform adjudicates his suspension.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsolender/2021/05/03/trump-says-hell-appropriate-the-big-lie-to-refer-to-his-election-loss/?sh=147e1eb95584

Trump is equally at fault for using it. No one covered in glory here. 

Probably the best thing to do is not refer to it at all. It is history and has no bearing on the current situation. Trump lost, he was butt-hurt, but he'll get over it. But he will get over it a lot slower if you keep him in your dreams.

2 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Trump is equally at fault for using it. No one covered in glory here. 

Probably the best thing to do is not refer to it at all. It is history and has no bearing on the current situation. Trump lost, he was butt-hurt, but he'll get over it. But he will get over it a lot slower if you keep him in your dreams.

Probably the best thing to do is for you not to use it as a deflection for poll results in articles

• Thumbs Up 1