Climate crisis - A third of Pakistan is underwater amid its worst floods in history

onthedarkside

Screenshot_1.jpg.9b758316e78cf6aea39d134a572717c8.jpg

More than one third of Pakistan is underwater, according to satellite images from the European Space Agency (ESA), as deadly floodwaters threaten to create secondary disasters.

Food is in short supply after water covered millions of acres of crops and wiped out hundreds of thousands of livestock. Meanwhile, aid agencies have warned of an uptick in infectious diseases, leaving millions vulnerable to illness caused by what the United Nations has called a “monsoon on steroids.”

More than 1,100 people have died from the floods since mid-June, nearly 400 of them children, while millions have been displaced, according to Pakistan’s National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA).

Pakistan, which was already grappling with political and economic turmoil, has been thrown into the front line of the human-induced climate crisis.

(more)

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/09/02/asia/pakistan-floods-climate-explainer-intl-hnk/index.html

CNN.jpg.958a5b7626079aef8360d216e6a1e5cc.jpg

How Pakistan floods are linked to climate change

The science linking climate change and more intense monsoons is quite simple, global warming is making air and sea temperatures rise, leading to more evaporation, warmer air can hold more moisture, making monsoon rainfall more intense.

But Pakistan has something else making it susceptible to climate change effects - its immense glaciers.

The northern region is sometimes referred to as the 'third pole' - it contains more glacial ice than anywhere in the world outside of the polar regions.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-62758811

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

Time for world leaders to quit backtracking on promises made at international conferences and actually start to take action. 

Maybe a good idea if Asian Countries stopped the slash and burn method of farming and stopped the regular burning season which lasts months on end ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Maybe a good idea if Asian Countries stopped the slash and burn method of farming and stopped the regular burning season which lasts months on end ?

See my previous comment. It applies to all countries rather than picking out some based on the ethnicity of the citizens. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

See my previous comment. It applies to all countries rather than picking out some based on the ethnicity of the citizens. 

Some Countries seem to be taking huge measures to combat climate change , whilst other Countries don't seem to be bothering .

Those Countries who are not taking any measures to combat climate change , really need to change their policy and stop the  pollution .

Its nothing to do with anyone's ethnicity , its about what measures  Countries are taking and the pollution they cause 

Edited by Mac Mickmanus

17 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Some Countries seem to be talking huge measures to combat climate change , whilst other Countries don't seem to be bothering .

Those Countries who are not taking any measures to combat climate change , really need to change their policy and stop the  pollution .

Its nothing to do with anyone's ethnicity , its about what measures  Countries are taking and the pollution they cause 

You raised the issue of ethnicity not me. 

i agree countries are “talking” (your words) but the time for talking is done.

The time is to act on promises, or even go beyond them, and stop backtracking. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

You raised the issue of ethnicity not me. 

i agree countries are “talking” (your words) but the time for talking is done.

The time is to act on promises, or even go beyond them, and stop backtracking. 

I did make a typo and meant to write *Taking" , (although you knew that already )

I also didn't mention anyone ethnicities it was you  . BUT, just to be P.C for you , *Every Country* in the World should stop the farming method of slash and burn , which causes horrendous pollution which is effecting Asian Countries .

The E.U , U.K and USA and Asian Countries , Jamaica , Thailand, India and Pakistan and every other Country  should all stop slashing and burning their crops to stop pollution 

18 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I did make a typo and meant to write *Taking" , (although you knew that already )

I also didn't mention anyone ethnicities it was you  . BUT, just to be P.C for you , *Every Country* in the World should stop the farming method of slash and burn , which causes horrendous pollution which is effecting Asian Countries .

The E.U , U.K and USA and Asian Countries , Jamaica , Thailand, India and Pakistan and every other Country  should all stop slashing and burning their crops to stop pollution 

“I also didn't mention anyone ethnicities”

Maybe a good idea if Asian Countries

Your words. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

“I also didn't mention anyone ethnicities”

Maybe a good idea if Asian Countries

Your words. 

I was talking about the location of the Countries that participate in slash and burn   , rather than anyone's ethnicity ,

Asia is a continent and I was referring to the continent .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

So you would like them to break their promise of reviving fracking ?

You want them to back track on their promises, rather than to stop back tracking on their promises ?

They promised to revive fracking , do you want them to keep that promise and revive fracking ?

I want the promises made at COP 26 to be honoured, no backtracking, as I said in my first post. 

31 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I want the promises made at COP 26 to be honoured, no backtracking, as I said in my first post. 

OK, I am not going to ask what those promises were .

As the last time I asked ,you gave me examples of what promises you want to be broken and I just get confused .

*I want them to stop breaking their promises and here's an example of the promises I want them to keep by giving examples of promises I want them the break * 

Yeah , OK, I gotcha......................................

10 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

First of all, just to get the terminology straight, what you're referring to is "agricultural burning" not "slash and burn" which has to do with raising crops in forested areas. 

And actually, agricultural burning is on the decline:

Amounts of burned areas have declined globally, but is it a good thing?

"When the researchers overlaid burned areas with population, cropland area and livestock density, they found that intensive farming, from both livestock and crops, is correlated with lower burned area. The only exceptions to this trend were in regions where farming practices include crop residue burning, such as in some parts of India and China. According to the study, transformation from forest and agroforestry landscapes to intensive farms accounts for the decline in burned area. Intensive farming increases as population and GDP increase, which explains the declining trend and means it is likely to continue."

https://environment-review.yale.edu/amounts-burned-areas-have-declined-globally-it-good-thing

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You think the UK government is giving money to individuals? If so, why?

IMO individuals are the responsibility of the Pakistan government, not other country taxpayers.

Of course, any UK citizen is welcome to contribute to charities that support individuals.

Because wealthy nations are responsible for generating a disproportionate amount of greenhouse gases.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Some Countries seem to be taking huge measures to combat climate change , whilst other Countries don't seem to be bothering .

Which countries would they be? Until recently the US was the main not botherer. Fortunately that can't be said now that Biden allocated 3.7 billion to fighting climate change. Australia was another not botherer until the public got jack of it recently.

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

Which countries would they be? Until recently the US was the main not botherer. Fortunately that can't be said now that Biden allocated 3.7 billion to fighting climate change. Australia was another not botherer until the public got jack of it recently.

In the U.K , we are encouraged/forced to recycle our waste by having different bins , cars engines automatically cut out  when they stop at traffic lights , plastic bags have been banned , plastic utensils are no longer used for eating , cars without low emissions are banned from some areas ..........................and Thailand sets its whole Northern Region on fire for three months every year and much of SEA goes up in smoke every year

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

In the U.K , we are encouraged/forced to recycle our waste by having different bins , cars engines automatically cut out  when they stop at traffic lights , plastic bags have been banned , plastic utensils are no longer used for eating , cars without low emissions are banned from some areas ..........................and Thailand sets its whole Northern Region on fire for three months every year and much of SEA goes up in smoke every year

Thailand is doing those things as well. Supermarkets either use biodegradable plastic or reusable bags, usually fabric. Most cars do that nowadays. Bangkok  bans trucks and diesels from the city during certain hours. With a similar population I don't need to check whether the UK or Thailand produces more total exhaust and power station emissions. The UK has made strong advances towards green power though but Thailand is also headed down that path. Thailand is also attempting to stop farmers burning rice and sugar cane but it's an uphill battle.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

So? Stop pointing at others not doing what they should do, but take action yourself.

And as ozimoron just pointed out, that other is doing a lot more than you give him credit for.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I live near the sea. The rise since I was a boy is so insignificant as to be meaningless.

I hope you ain't claiming the sea level has risen higher in different parts of the world.

Since 1993 the average sea level has risen at a rate of 0.12 to 0.14 inches per year , has the village that you grew up in not been effected by the global rise in the sea level ?

Has the water level in your village remained the same when its risen everywhere else in the World ?

A post with a link to an unapproved source discussing Bill Gates foundation and the replies have been removed.

Other off topic posts and replies have been removed and will continue to be removed,  once again, this topic is about:

Climate crisis - A third of Pakistan is underwater amid its worst floods in history

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Since 1993 the average sea level has risen at a rate of 0.12 to 0.14 inches per year , has the village that you grew up in not been effected by the global rise in the sea level ?

Has the water level in your village remained the same when its risen everywhere else in the World ?

No, it hasn't.

I haven't noticed any difference.

To say more would be off topic.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I live near the sea. The rise since I was a boy is so insignificant as to be meaningless.

I hope you ain't claiming the sea level has risen higher in different parts of the world.

Sea levels rise differently in different parts of the world.

https://sealevel.nasa.gov/faq/9/are-sea-levels-rising-the-same-all-over-the-world-as-if-were-filling-a-giant-bathtub/

• Like 2