Is a Hysterectomy Free in Thailand for a Thai Citizen ?

Jumbo1968

My colleagues lady has cysts on her ovaries and requires a hysterectomy, she says she has to pay for the procedure even at a government run hospital. She hasn’t had a job for over 10 years as my colleague provides for her and their daughter, is this why she wouldn’t be entitled to free treatment as she hadn’t paid into the system ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If it's medically necessary (and there isn't a possible cheaper alternative treatment) it's free for every Thai (Actually 30 baht...)

Every now and then a thread like yours is made here on aseannow, where some Thai tells her spouse that she has to pay for a procedure.

I think it boils down to one of these reasons:

- The Thai is fully aware that it's free and just wants to pocket the money.

- The Thai isn't registered at the local hospital, but somewhere in their home province. Upon attending the hospital nobody ever tells them that treatment in the registered hospital is free, but just that they will have to pay for it. They don't know any better, so they tell their spouse that they have to pay.

- The Thai is aware that treatment at the registered hospital (can easily be changed to the local hospital) would be free, but because their foreign spouse pays for it they can't be bothered to register at their local hospital or travel to their home province. It's not their own money so they just don't care.

I do believe that an upgrade to a private room might require funding, the facilities are an improvement on the regular perhaps 10 bed ward in the government run hospitals so perhaps not an unreasonable request, depends on the asking price. 

Edited by 473geo

1 hour ago, FriendlyFarang said:

If it's medically necessary (and there isn't a possible cheaper alternative treatment) it's free for every Thai (Actually 30 baht...)

Every now and then a thread like yours is made here on aseannow, where some Thai tells her spouse that she has to pay for a procedure.

I think it boils down to one of these reasons:

- The Thai is fully aware that it's free and just wants to pocket the money.

- The Thai isn't registered at the local hospital, but somewhere in their home province. Upon attending the hospital nobody ever tells them that treatment in the registered hospital is free, but just that they will have to pay for it. They don't know any better, so they tell their spouse that they have to pay.

- The Thai is aware that treatment at the registered hospital (can easily be changed to the local hospital) would be free, but because their foreign spouse pays for it they can't be bothered to register at their local hospital or travel to their home province. It's not their own money so they just don't care.

Sometimes hospitals try to make patients pay for things that should be free.

Traffic accidents are a good example.  The hospital may try to bill the patient thinking this way in the end insurance would pay.

Patients in whose orbit they see a foreigner are another example. 

Ramathibodi Hospital once tried to make me pay for the treatment of the sister of my current girlfriend.  Nice try.

Sometimes the "medical necessity" is debatable. You can live very well without a couple of teeth, or with some pain, or with some stiff joints.

But there may  be better options. They may try to charge you for better options. 

She can get this done for free under the universal (AKA "30 baht") scheme.

ALL Thais have access to free health care. That she hasn't worked for 10 years simply means she is not longer covered by Social Security but rather by the "universal" scheme which automatically covers any Thai citizen not covered under another scheme. While there are some few things that require extra payment (for example new drugs not on the Ministry list etc), hysterectomy is not one of them. 

If she wants a private room, have to pay extra for that.

Sometimes people prefer to go through a private channel at a public hospital in order to avoid a wait list, if doing that there is payment. But it does not sound like there is an compelling reason to do this in this case.

The other thing that often happens is that people are living in one province but registered in another. If it is not an emergency, they need to either (1)  travel back to the province where they are registered and have the procedure done there or  (2) change their registration - this often requires a change in house registration but I have heard of people in Pattaya apparently being able to register under the universal scheme based on rental agreement etc.

And, lastly yes, it is not unusual for Thai women to take advantage of situations like this to get extra cash from a foreign partner. (Actually not unusual to make up the entire thing, but if living together there is obviously no way she can fake a hysterectomy that isn't actually done).

Your friend should ask her to ask the hospital what she needs to do to register under the 30 baht scheme. If necessary can call the NHSO hotline for further help - tel 1330 or 02-141-4000

If it turns out to be not readily possible to get registered at Bang Lamung she still has the option of having this done in her home province - get all the records from Bng Lamung and bring there. But going forward, try to resolve the registration.

• Thanks 1