Living without rent - Is this a problem for Non-O Marriage?

Hello everyone. I am currently living with my wife in one of her sister's house, and we do not need to pay any rent.

One of the requirements for Non-O based on marriage mentions a rental receipt of past 3 months:

Other Relevant Documents such as; Rental Agreement between the Applicant and The Landlord. With a copy of ID card and House Registration of the Landlord (certified true copy by the Landlord) ; Condo or House purchase agreement ; Location the house or condo map and a rental receipt Past three months

Since we do not have any receipts to show, is it going to be okay if we submit only a letter by my wife's sister stating she's letting us stay in the house for the next year or so, without rent?

Just renewed 1 year extension under almost identical circumstances, MIL not SIL. My wife typed a letter stating I lived at xxxx copy of MIL's housebook and ID. MIL signed it. No mention of rent in the letter.

This was at Chang Wattanna.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Make sure your photo on the back of the TM 7 is up to date by the way. I had to get one done downstairs, near the big DTAC shop.

Oh, did you mean TM86?

My understanding is TM7 is for extension of Tourist Visa? I am applying for Non-O based on marriage.

2 minutes ago, EdwardM said:

Oh, did you mean TM86?

My understanding is TM7 is for extension of Tourist Visa? I am applying for Non-O based on marriage.

All extensions require TM7.  Perhaps you do not have the required non immigrant O visa entry so the TM86 would be a one time requirement for that.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, EdwardM said:

My wife did TM30 reporting online. Can we use a screenshot from the online system to show? ????

Can I add here that it is important to ensure you know the difference between an extension of stay and a visa.

It can make a big difference in the answers you will get.

Best to state what you have at the moment, eg visa exempt entry, tourist visa etc and how long you have been in Thailand. Visas and extensions of stay are two different animals.

Not being picky, but those points help.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

Can I add here that it is important to ensure you know the difference between an extension of stay and a visa.

It can make a big difference in the answers you will get.

Best to state what you have at the moment, eg visa exempt entry, tourist visa etc and how long you have been in Thailand. Visas and extensions of stay are two different animals.

Not being picky, but those points help.

I am now on a Tourist Visa. Got married yesterday, and will apply for a Non-O based on marriage next week. 

So my understanding is I'll be applying to change my visa type, from TR to Non-O.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EdwardM said:

I am now on a Tourist Visa. Got married yesterday, and will apply for a Non-O based on marriage next week. 

So my understanding is I'll be applying to change my visa type, from TR to Non-O.

It's so long since I did that things will have changed.

Others will give you clearer advice.

2 minutes ago, EdwardM said:

Thank you everyone for the help. I really appreciate it.

One further question here: do I absolutely need to provide a map of the house? And does it need to be hand-drawn (I remember reading about this here a while ago).

I used Google Earth, found my area and house, printed it off, cut out an arrow out of masking tape pointing at the house...????

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, EdwardM said:

Thank you everyone for the help. I really appreciate it.

One further question here: do I absolutely need to provide a map of the house? And does it need to be hand-drawn (I remember reading about this here a while ago).

You will need a map and you will likely have a visit by Immigration officers.  Most places accept Google Map printout these days but only information from office you will be using can confirm, and you did not provide that.

6 minutes ago, EdwardM said:

A map is not mentioned of the list of requirements for for a non-o visa but it might best to have one ready.

Requirments are here: https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/6.FOR-PROVIDING-SUPPORT-TO-OR-BEING-A-DEPENDANT-OF-A-THAI-CITIZEN-SPOUSE-VISA-NON-O.pdf

3 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

You will need a map and you will likely have a visit by Immigration officers.  Most places accept Google Map printout these days but only information from office you will be using can confirm, and you did not provide that.

Oh, I will be using the CW office. I am based in Bangkok.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A map is not mentioned of the list of requirements for for a non-o visa but it might best to have one ready.

Requirments are here: https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/6.FOR-PROVIDING-SUPPORT-TO-OR-BEING-A-DEPENDANT-OF-A-THAI-CITIZEN-SPOUSE-VISA-NON-O.pdf

It is actually mentioned toward the end of item 10. But yes, maybe best to provide anyway. ????

6 minutes ago, EdwardM said:

I was thinking of the TM7 and map will be required for that; and I would have for the change of entry visa just in case.  Always best to be prepared.

image.jpeg.b096be75138465ee834f790dcd11e57b.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EdwardM said:

For years CW have insisted on a hand drawn map showing distance from nearest intersection etc.

In more recent times reports from folks using Google map etc.

Personally I have been using a basic map from back of my condo flyer.

Just draw one to cover all bases. 

Just now, DrJack54 said:

For years CW have insisted on a hand drawn map showing distance from nearest intersection etc.

In more recent times reports from folks using Google map etc.

Personally I have been using a basic map from back of my condo flyer.

Just draw one to cover all bases. 

Sounds like a good plan! I guess I can do both.

On 9/8/2022 at 11:46 PM, EdwardM said:

My wife did TM30 reporting online. Can we use a screenshot from the online system to show? ????

If the TM30 reporting can be done with the Opera web browser on a computer and there is a confirmation page, the Opera web browser allows you to save the web page as a pdf document which can be printed out.  

Before closing the confirmation page after saving it as a pdf, be sure to open the pdf and try printing it.   There is a problem doing this with some web pages and the pdf does not print correctly.   

An alternative is to try and save it as an html document then do a print page later of the html document. 

• Thanks 1