Coffee Machine: Recommendations?

aldriglikvid

Moka pot…. With decent coffee roasted & then ground to order from a company like coffee culture.

Next step beyond that is taking a financial leap with your own quality grinder & espresso machine set up.

Step below that is a Nespresso Machine & pods, simple, easy & decent coffee. 

want to know what’s decent ? Look for James Hoffman vids on YouTube…  well presented & knowledgeable vids for people who like coffee. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Moka pot…. With decent coffee roasted & then ground to order from a company like coffee culture.

Next step beyond that is taking a financial leap with your own quality grinder & espresso machine set up.

Step below that is a Nespresso Machine & pods, simple, easy & decent coffee. 

want to know what’s decent ? Look for James Hoffman vids on YouTube…  well presented & knowledgeable vids for people who like coffee. 

Second this. I buy the Trung Nguen pre ground Vietnamese coffee off Lazada. I had $1000's of dollars worth of Italian coffee machine, grinder etc back home and the Moka pot runs a close second. Will be far superior to drip. The little frothers are great too if you like capuccino.     

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.Svmar

• Like 1

I have owned a Nescafe Dolce Gusto Mini Me machine now for about two years now.

Would I recommend it?

That really depends on how you like to drink your coffee.

If you like a big mug of then it's not the setup for you. About 200ml is the biggest cup it will make from one pod, which are quite expensive.

However, if you're preference is a smaller expresso style coffee then it's perfectly fine for that.

One big advantage is that it very quick. From plugging it in to having a coffee in your hand takes about 2 minutes.

It will also make cold coffee as well for those that like it over ice.

You get a nice crema style head on your drink because it's made under pressure.

I tend to buy third party pods these days from Lazada because they do work out quite a bit cheaper than the Nescafe originals.

Another advantage is that the only thing you need to wash up is your cup!

Although the machine itself does require a small amount of maintenance from time to time.

7 hours ago, aldriglikvid said:

It's a 1-person household and I actually only drink regular/black coffee

For this purpose it is hard to beat a simple AeroPress

Buy at any coffee place in Thailand like Hillkoff etc

At the same time buy the reusable metal filter & you never have to buy paper ones

Put some nice fresh coffee in it add hot water *& press

Get a "fresh" cup of coffee not a burnt overdone one ????

41TmC2Zhr6L._AC_SX466_.jpg

YRP-Stainless-Steel-Reusable-Coffee-Metal-Filter-For-Yuropress-Aeropress-French-Press-Espresso-Maker-Filter-Tools.jpg_Q90.jpg_.jpeg

Edited by mania
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/12/2022 at 6:32 AM, Kenny202 said:

Second this. I buy the Trung Nguen pre ground Vietnamese coffee off Lazada. I had $1000's of dollars worth of Italian coffee machine, grinder etc back home and the Moka pot runs a close second. Will be far superior to drip. The little frothers are great too if you like capuccino.     

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.Svmar

Good tip that, i bought the mok pot and coffee and first cup good which I wasn't expecting, so thanks for that. One problem, the "induction" mok pot didn't work on the cooker as was too small for it to switch on, so i put in a saucepan and worked although saucepan now burnt a bit, any idea about induction adapter? or just anyone on Lazada?

14 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

Lol.......Kind of like buying a Mercedes to drive to  the neighborhood 7-11...  

Edited by redwood1

we have the electrolux drip filter machine at both houses, had them for years and they are great, grind fresh beans every morining, use unbleached paper filters and coffeee is excellent, beans are from a family friend, they are mountain beans, only a couple of hundred baht a bag too

Not sure about those pod machines.  Better now since you can use generic pod (larger) and own ground coffee.

But still, a small yield.  I like a good 12oz / 350ml cup of coffee in the AM.  Not going to get that with standard pod, and a bit watered down even with large pod.  13gr = 414ml image.png.73571e8796da2f9fed36e733629b5ff5.png

Peeked at this chart, and someone's calculator needs batteries:

image.png.4b5fa8d303cdade483bc79517b9aeb01.png

https://thegreenpods.co.nz/how-much-coffee-is-in-a-nespresso-pod/

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Good tip that, i bought the mok pot and coffee and first cup good which I wasn't expecting, so thanks for that. One problem, the "induction" mok pot didn't work on the cooker as was too small for it to switch on, so i put in a saucepan and worked although saucepan now burnt a bit, any idea about induction adapter? or just anyone on Lazada?

I put mine straight on the gas burner...sits on the top of the actual burner. Put the flame on low so it doesn't come up around the handle etc. I will also say the proper Bialetti Moka pots are well worth the extra money. The cheap generic ones work ok but the Italian one so much better, even get some crema extraction. Usually on sale Central / Robinsons online. I got a 3 cup one which I do in the morning and does me for a few cups through the day. I only have a small cup....about 1/2" in the bottom and rest milk. Heat it up in the microwave 50 seconds

• Like 1

As mentioned above - get an Aeropress.

Ignore the instructions that come with it. I recommend brewing inverted (google and youtube) and let it steep for 2-1/2 minutes then press.

And as soon as you can get whole beans (Bluekoff or others) and a grinder. This one:

Baratza Encore grinder 6,900Bht

https://shopee.co.th/เครื่องบดกาแฟ-BARATZA-ENCORE-i.56671972.5359524160

The easy & excellent one cup way is a Moccamaster One-Cup... but unfortunately this wonderful coffemaker is 16,900bht here... so if you go to the UK you could pick one up for less than half the price

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/brands/technivorm-one-cup-filter-coffee-machine-orange.html

• Like 1