What's YOUR record for the most refusals from a Thai cabby?

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption: Has anyone experienced more (refusals)?

Daily News reported on a TikTok video that touched a nerve or two.

A guy went online to have a go at taxi drivers who refuse to stop and take passengers in Bangkok.

He claimed on the video to have set an all comers record for rejections before the 24th cabby finally let him sit down. 

He recorded all the excuses and disappointments as he waiting in vain in the rain. 

The media went with the caption asking its readers if they had been turned down by more taxis than this?

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-09-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

@iceprapadang ทุบสถิติเรียกแท็กซี่มากที่สุดในชีวิต #แท็กซี่ #แท็กซี่ไทย #ห่วย #รีวิวชีวิตช่วงนี้ #vlogวันหยุด #taxi #fyp ♬ YouTube Piano Comical Cooking(813810) - RK Sound

Location location location & time of day, when you ask, dictates the price vs meter use.

Worst was ChinaTown at rush hours, and gave up after 5, and simply took the bus.  Understandable, as I wouldn't want to be stuck on the other side of town, with no fare coming back in rush hour.   People need to consider where & when.

On a normal time of day, non tourist area or rush hour, and we never really had a problem.  Of course never ask outside a hotel, standing / parked taxi, and always a 'working' taxi, looking for a fare.

I don't even bother any more, if parking/mall nearby where we're going, then I'll drive, or simply take the bus, and preferred over driving.  Avoids risk of accident away from home.

Not a fan of BTS/MRT of late either, and would rather take the bus, rather than walk to, then up/down stairs to rail lines. No longer convenient or faster unless longer distances of 3 or 4 stations or more.

• Like 1

I’m waiting for the ‘typical apologists’ to enter the fray and claim... 

- I’ve been taking taxi’s for 10 years and this never happened to me

- It must be because you are not speaking Thai

- It’s because the driver doesn’t understand you

- Its because of the area you are in

The taxi drivers want an increase in flag-fall rate which I think is fair enough. 

However, the sense of entitlement of people providing a service (taxi’s) is ridiculous.

By being a taxi driver they have ’theoretically’ agreed to the terms of service they provide. 

It terribly annoying to ‘want to rely’ on taxi’s and find them so unreliable. 

After getting rejected 5 times I start to think I should have just been done with it and taken the car or motorcycle instead. 

Grab is also getting a lot worse and its often getting harder to call a ride. 

Bolt is virtually a no-go... I only successfully secure a ride 10% of the time (may be my area of Bkk). 

Is it the weather that means so many drivers just want to ’sit it out’ at this time of year ???

I’m not sure.... there still seems like plenty of taxi’s (with red lights) on the roads. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only area where I find it quite hard to get a taxi who is OK using the meter is the Nana area. Been refused many times there. Guess they figure there are alot of out of touch tourists around. 

Also, when it is raining, they tend to be less likely to want to use the meter. 

We were waiting for a taxi yesterday, leaving school at 5.30

Traffic was ok.
In 20 min time, at least 15 taxis drove by.
I counted 8 of them with no passengers and none of them stopped.
Are they all so rich that they don't bother to take passengers?

Stop complaining about not having any work. Just stop and drive people to their destination.
As Richard said: Bolt is a no go. 

Grab is also more and more difficult and getting expensive.

As a test, outside the British Embassy at 8pm on some weekday, around 2018, I decided to try my luck. A 7km ride. It went about as well as you'd expect. 

On cab number 50 (!) (around an hour went by), with exhaustion, and increasing anger in my tone of voice, I decided it would be best if I give up. 

From Sukhumwit to the west of the city (across the river) from 7pm until around 10pm were always a nightmare. The last boat on the river was at 7:20pm at Saphan Taksin. The last canal boat was around 7pm. The buses were full and all the taxis refused the fares.

And then a New Dawn. 

The circular MRT blue line was built. 

Grabcars/Bolt forced drivers to accept fares.

The tourist numbers shrinked (cabbies love those very short rides by lost tourists).

It's still tough. Very tough. But there are now options.

48 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

By being a taxi driver they have ’theoretically’ agreed to the terms of service they provide

Exactly

Imagine if other occasions acted the way taxis do

If they are working as a meter taxi driver they should follow the rules.

If not then they can hang around street corners in a regular vehicle to try to pick up customers.

I usually get rejected about 5 times at least before getting a pick up.

I even had one the other night, make a wrong turn after a few minutes of me stepping into the taxi, and when I informed him he was going the wrong way, he told me I could get out if I wanted (but he expected me to pay what was the meter). Lol

Edited by 2009

Around lower Sukhumvit it is too many to count. I decided a long time ago to just call Grab. It isn't worth the blood pressure increase to even try to take a regular taxi.

I actually miss Covid, at least then any taxi would be happy to take you anywhere without trying to extort you.

I have zero sympathy for these crooks. I would be happy to see a large reduction in taxi licenses as well as completely eliminating tyk tuks all together.

In 16 yrs here, I have found they do us a favor. They have refused to take folks to specific locations at specific times because of heavy traffic. The long delays between red lights, bumper to bumper car crawl increases the fare. Those meters run on time and distance driven. 

55 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

You mean home ???  :giggle:

Yeah, sure! He is living with a girl who has 63 brothers.

There we go....   someone got it !!! :giggle:  

(or specifically 63 taxi drivers laying claim to be ‘the brother' !)

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’ve had this...  

I know my way around Bangkok - I’ve driven here for over 20 years (both cars and motorcycles). 

I know the short-cuts, I know the traffic and in most cases know where I’m going and how to get there more than the taxi driver and can speak decent enough Thai to articulate such and be understood. 

Some guys are just d!<ks and still don’t know that I know more than them and want to take me down a ‘busier route’ (since google maps its also been easier to identify faster routes).

If we haven’t moved off yet or have only moved a very short distance I just get out. 

If we’ve moved a reasonable distance (i.e. 1km etc) I pay the meter rate and get out. 

I do the same (get out) if the driver is using his phone and won’t put it down or if there is no seatbelt in the back etc.

If the taxi driver is an ayhole Its very childish but makes me chuckle - my little protest: not closing the door fully. 

Lol, I just didn't pay him.

He was going the wrong way then told me to get out.

But he did say I was to pay the 40 something baht for my trouble 

1 hour ago, rickray said:

Never been refused by any taxi driver and I've lived here more than 30 years. I just get in the back seat and tell them where I want to go.

There we go.... it was just a matter of time before the ‘I’ve never had a problem???????? poster pops up on a such a thread....

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Lol, I just didn't pay him.

He was going the wrong way then told me to get out.

But he did say I was to pay the 40 something baht for my trouble 

Yeah... it a tricky one, it also depends how we interpret the situation could escalate. 

It's certainly not worth getting into a fight over 40 baht - but sometimes when the guy is so obviously being a ???? and he’s inconvenienced you, why does he deserve anything... ?

Never had a problem with Bangkok taxis. 

Many of those who complain, and I know a few, have an attitude problem. Yes, I've been ignored by taxis in the street in the rain but hey.....pop in a bar till rain stops.

Now, if anyone needs an example of bad taxi drivers, look no further than Pukhet

• Like 1

Only in Bangkok. 4 times in one hour - waved them down, declined destination. So ended up walking about 3 miles (not pleasant) Next day booked a taxi to airport early in the morning - at hotel - he refused meter and was very threatening when we queried his price - had tight schedule so had to accept.

Last time i used a taxi in Bangkok (2015)

On 9/13/2022 at 3:52 PM, richard_smith237 said:
On 9/13/2022 at 2:36 PM, rickray said:

Never been refused by any taxi driver and I've lived here more than 30 years. I just get in the back seat and tell them where I want to go.

There we go.... it was just a matter of time before the ‘I’ve never had a problem???????? poster pops up on a such a thread....

His sarcasm was just for your pleasure.

On 9/13/2022 at 12:46 PM, brucegoniners said:

Not that many, but when I needed to take my dog somewhere there were definitely cabbies that didn't pick us up.

That was usually to go to the vet, so it was frustrating.

Glad I'm out of Bangkok and in Pattaya now and have a car. Life is much better.

GrabTaxi have a Pet Option... 

You could also have had your own car in Bangkok.

Not to be overly critical of Taxi’s in Bangkok, the refusal thing is very annoying etc...

But, at least there is an option to get home without being totally fleeced. 

What do the guys in Pattaya / Chiang Mai / Hua Hin / Phuket / Khon Kaen etc do when they go out for a some beers ???   Are there taxi’s available to take them home which aren’t going to fleece them ?

I may be mistaken, but based on other discussion on this forum in these areas there seem to be a lot more foreigners drink-driving, those same folk may not in Bangkok due to the availability of taxis.

So, while, I (we) complain about Bangkok taxi’s, it must be said, its better than in other areas of the country. 

5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You think that reducing the number of available taxis would really help?

It would reduce traffic and hopefully reduce the number of taxi's that just park on the side of the road waiting to rip off customers by charging them way to much and congest the soi's by turning them into a 1 lane only soi

• Haha 1