Haven't been in Thailand since 2019, is it worth a visit atm? (un'vax'xed un'test'ed etc.)

flyDelight

12 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

I sat in restaurants with 50 people. No dramas at all.

Anyway which Thai laws are you talking about? Or is this just personal choice?

You still do not get it do you.  Thai laws do not apply to private establishments.  If they decide you need to wear a mask and mandate it then you follow the rules in the establishment or hotel.  Up to you to cause others problems, like the staff who try to avoid strife and be easygoing and will avoid you at all costs.  My Condo in BKK still makes it mandatory to wear a mask in the common areas, and in the lifts, and they will not hesitate to fine you for failing to obey the buildings rules.  Why do you think only government laws apply to all and everywhere.....My House in PKK Hua Hin no rules, but when we go out we take a mask and follow the rules that private establishments have in place.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

Those who habitually don the gear, and especially those who think it necessary to do so, will never know if those venues would just as readily accept someone of a different mindset unless they were confronted with the evidence directly.  In other words, you do not know how the people in those venues would have reacted had you not been wearing your gear. 

Those of us who do not habitually put the symbols of paranoia on our faces or hands are in a better position to speak, from experience, about the reception that the OP will likely get in coming here again.  While I have not been in Bangkok recently, or Hua Hin, I can say that masks are no longer required in any of the places I have been lately, which includes travels to about five provinces in the northern region.  The stores and restaurants (you ever seen someone try to eat with a mask on?) happily welcome non-mask-wearing clients.

If one but stops to think about it, the mask-wearing charade does appear a bit foolish when one enters a restaurant.  After all, if covid were spreading like wildfire on account of not having one, then the restaurants should all be shut down instead of doing good business as they are these days.

In many places you might be correct, but when many of the establishments have signs indicating masks and gloves are to be worn while using the buffet lines and the lifts then it is not my decision to fail to follow the private establishments rules, or are you saying they are just suggestions.

20220911_180000.jpg

Edited by ThailandRyan

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

You still do not get it do you.  Thai laws do not apply to private establishments.  If

Proves my point exactly. Only Thai laws are a concern. Tourists can pick and choose where they eat.

I went to restaurants, music mkts and food courts. No issues.

Thais in nk, bk, KK, CM sitting in restaurants no masks. 

• Like 1

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

In many places you might be correct, but when many of the establishments have signs indicating masks and gloves are to be worn while using the buffet lines and the lifts then it is not my decision to fail to follow the private establishments rules, or are you saying they are just suggestions.

Nobody has to eat buffets. I went MK no issues.

Private rules if not legally enforceable are no big deal. Dont have to follow made up rules. If they kick you out go elsewhere.

Why be a slave to made up non legally enforeable laws?

What tourist wants to have no fun?

2 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Proves my point exactly. Only Thai laws are a concern. Tourists can pick and choose where they eat.

I went to restaurants, music mkts and food courts. No issues.

Thais in nk, bk, KK, CM sitting in restaurants no masks. 

Never said you had to wear a mask in the restaurant now did I?  Just when using the buffet or the lift. Can nit very well eat with a mask on.  In places where we order food from the server, we wear a mask into the restaurant and then once seated remove them.  With the recent coughing and flu season now here as well as Covid still being around better to be safe than sorry.  Two friends and their wives are now down with illnesses after taking a two week trip and not wearing masks, but that was up to them.  I am not advocating for mask wearing, I am saying mask wearing is still pretty high here and required by some establishments that is all.

1 minute ago, ThailandRyan said:

I spent nearly every single day for two weeks in the government office of a local amphur this past month.  Signs were up, in Thai, saying to wear the masks for everyone's safety.  I read Thai.  But I never wore a mask.  No one troubled me one iota about it.  Some of the time, the ladies behind the counters did not wear a mask.  What interested me in observing that was that on one day, one lady had a mask and the other did not; on the next day, the roles were reversed!  I would have thought that someone unwilling to wear a mask on one day would be equally unwilling the next, and that someone who chose to wear a mask would likely be quite in favor of doing so consistently--but I saw this with my own eyes.

The question becomes: "Why do they wear the mask?" 

I think it may have as much to do with appearances as with any concerns for personal safety.  It's clearly, however, not required.

2 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

I spent nearly every single day for two weeks in the government office of a local amphur this past month.  Signs were up, in Thai, saying to wear the masks for everyone's safety.  I read Thai.  But I never wore a mask.  No one troubled me one iota about it.  Some of the time, the ladies behind the counters did not wear a mask.  What interested me in observing that was that on one day, one lady had a mask and the other did not; on the next day, the roles were reversed!  I would have thought that someone unwilling to wear a mask on one day would be equally unwilling the next, and that someone who chose to wear a mask would likely be quite in favor of doing so consistently--but I saw this with my own eyes.

The question becomes: "Why do they wear the mask?" 

I think it may have as much to do with appearances as with any concerns for personal safety.  It's clearly, however, not required.

Habit. 2 years of masks. Masks not very effective say some drs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

It's true, I'm currently double masked.

The base mask is a normal market bought mask but the covering mask is a Gucci original. ????

Coupled with my cream chiffon trousers, I'm viewed as 'quite the fashion hound' when shopping around the Pak Nam suburbs.

To be honest I haven't been to any tourist areas recently but for my own area (a main market town), I cannot recall seeing anyone outside without a mask on since the pandemic first kicked in.

The convenience stores and supermarkets here still have the temperature check at the doors and nothing has really changed from mid pandemic days.

Odd thing is supermarkets and 7/11s and everyone wears a mask , 3 local coffee shops and no one bothers to get masked up . I come out of Lotus'sss remove mask go for a coffee and mask stays in the Manbag.

8 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Habit. 2 years of masks. Masks not very effective say some drs.

You see, this is the problem when obvious low information posters here parrot right wing media and misinformation. "some drs" LOL 

USA CENTER OF DISEASE CONTROL, MASKS:

SARS-CoV-2 infection is transmitted predominantly by inhalation of respiratory droplets generated when people cough, sneeze, sing, talk, or breathe. CDC recommends community use of masks to prevent transmission of SARS-CoV-2.

1.Masks are primarily intended to reduce the emission of virus-laden droplets by the wearer (“source control”), which is especially relevant for asymptomatic infected wearers who feel well and may be unaware of their infectiousness to others (estimated to account for more than 50% of SARS-CoV-2 transmissions).

2. Masks also help reduce inhalation of these droplets by the wearer (“filtration for wearer protection”). The community benefit of masking for SARS-CoV-2 control is due to the combination of these two effects (source control and filtration for wearer protection); individual prevention benefit increases with increasing numbers of people using masks consistently and correctly.

Now you know.

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

Only Thai covid laws matter which are normally countrywide.

Whether 10% or 90% of locals where a mask is not important.

Why would a tourist care about stuff that isnt important?

No worries this is just another Thai knock thread if OP needs to ask questions like that don't come.

• Love It 1

13 hours ago, VinnieK said:

I would give it a miss for now.

90% mask compliance in the streets ...little foot traffic outside.

Btw...are some hotels still asking for the vaxx?

Other forum members might want to chime in on this one.

Don’t know where this is but I observe the opposite. In a non touristy part of Thailand but have travelled recently. There might be fewer western tourists, for obvious reasons, but Bkk is as busy as normal with locals. People wear masks because they feel obliged to. I haven’t observed any mass psychosis either and the Thais I hang with (typically middle class, business owners etc) are laidback about it all. 

One hotel out of around a dozen asked to see vaccine certificate over the last 3 months. 

35 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Odd thing is supermarkets and 7/11s and everyone wears a mask , 3 local coffee shops and no one bothers to get masked up . I come out of Lotus'sss remove mask go for a coffee and mask stays in the Manbag.

Personal choice or maybe the boss tells them

Went to 7/11 20 times never wore a mask nobody cared

Thais are used to following rules even if not logical

8 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

But that's just it--if it isn't needed, why do they ask for it?  Back to square one--what will they do if you don't have it?

It was law a couple of months ago. Must have changed. Didnt ask today. Didnt even weigh my bags for carry on.

Just follow law. Ignore the rest.

Edited by onthedarkside
trolling jibe removed

11 minutes ago, AsianAtHeart said:

But that's just it--if it isn't needed, why do they ask for it?  Back to square one--what will they do if you don't have it?

Ask the Thai embassy or the the travel opperator they know whats required. 

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Ask the Thai embassy or the the travel opperator they know whats required. 

The Thai embassy might know about Thailand's requirements, such as if testing is still required.  But I doubt they would know why someone was asked to show a vaccine certificate at the Heathrow airport, and not in BKK, unless it was a Thai requirement to fly to Thailand (but not to enter).