Haven't been in Thailand since 2019, is it worth a visit atm? (un'vax'xed un'test'ed etc.)

flyDelight

4 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Quality tourists which Thailand has been seeking.

Whats a quality tourist? Most of the ones staying 3 months are either backpackers, it nomads or guys living in villages with thai wife either a visa or just holiday extend.

The ones staying 14 days spend far more per day

• Like 1

Thailand will take any person vaxed or not.  

Probably not smart but that's the little world of antivaxxers.

If you end up getting hospitalized in Thailand expect a massive bill.

Insurance won't cover you if get COVID-19, get hospitalized and are not vaccinated.

Be aware that countries may suddenly change their entry restrictions without prior notice, so make sure to stay updated before your departure

Edited by MrJ2U

14 hours ago, VinnieK said:

I would give it a miss for now.

90% mask compliance in the streets ...little foot traffic outside.

Btw...are some hotels still asking for the vaxx?

Other forum members might want to chime in on this one.

"90% mask compliance in the streets"

No mandatory mask wearing, anywhere, no one will bother non-mask wearers.

"little foot traffic outside".

Plenty in Bangkok

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

OK, I actually live here, away from the tourist areas and I'm just telling you what it is like here.

Why would I want to lie about the current local mask situation?

Have you been around or stayed in my area (a main market town in Samutprakarn)?

If I walk outside of my office now, out onto the main road running through the area, I can guarantee that just like yesterday and the previous 600 days, everyone (and I do mean everyone) will be wearing a mask.

How can what I see in front of me, with my own eyes, be nonsense?

Also, other posters who live here are posting the same story.

Please note that I did acknowledge that the tourist areas will be different, why don't you open your mind up to the fact that the places in Thailand that you haven't visited might not be the same as the places that you have actually visited?

In Sukhumvit area 95% masks. I live in serviced apts. and only short stay western tourists ignore mask recommendation. All staff wear masks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

And none of them are forced to wear a mask against their will.

If you want to do any business with Thai Immigration in BKK, you'd better be wearing a face mask, because they REQUIRE it.

During my visit there this week, the IO's were going up to several non-mask wearing farangs sitting waiting for service, and telling them they had to don a mask, and not leaving until they put one on.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:
18 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

And none of them are forced to wear a mask against their will.

If you want to do any business with Thai Immigration in BKK, you'd better be wearing a face mask, because they REQUIRE it.

"Thai Immigration in BKK ... REQUIRE it"

I was referencing Bangkok IN GENERAL.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

...but it is not mandatory, no one cares and no one takes any notice of those recorded announcements on the train.

just what the recorded announcement said, and 99% were wearing them, Thais. Victory Monument to Siam Sq.

Edited by roo860

23 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

OK, I actually live here, away from the tourist areas and I'm just telling you what it is like here.

Why would I want to lie about the current local mask situation?

Have you been around or stayed in my area (a main market town in Samutprakarn)?

If I walk outside of my office now, out onto the main road running through the area, I can guarantee that just like yesterday and the previous 600 days, everyone (and I do mean everyone) will be wearing a mask.

How can what I see in front of me, with my own eyes, be nonsense?

Also, other posters who live here are posting the same story.

Please note that I did acknowledge that the tourist areas will be different, why don't you open your mind up to the fact that the places in Thailand that you haven't visited might not be the same as the places that you have actually visited?

I live in a small non touristic town too. Ever since the day mask regulations were dropped I don't wear one not carry it with me. 7-11, family mart, any other shop, big shopping centers in the nearest big city - no one ever said anything about it. Only in 2 small bank branches I was asked to wear a mask.

As for others around - some still wear them even when driving alone in a car or riding a bike, but more and more don't.

As for the temperature checks at 7-11 and such - me as well as most people just ignore the machines.

I visit a couple of local schools in my area and most kids are without masks on their faces. Some wear them around their necks or arms. 

I've been to Europe a couple of months ago and even there you can see some people still wearing masks, and some are even double masked.

As time goes by less people will wear them and eventually only those who wore masks before COVID will continue to wear them.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's not "compliance", it's choice, there are no mask mandates in Thailand.

Correct, my mistake, had intended to mean more like don't break the mould or walk against the flow, flow the herd, pretty sure most of them have long forgotten their reasoning for even starting..

17 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

As time goes by less people will wear them and eventually only those who wore masks before COVID will continue to wear them.

Hopefully, then its down sub 1-2%, but apparently most Thais habitually wore masks before COVID anyway according to some legends here ????

On 9/14/2022 at 8:19 AM, mnomad said:

Thais are still pretending its the black plague, compliance in bangkok is higher than 95%, I would go a surrounding country instead for now heard Vietnam is pretty much back to normal, there's a very small hope it changes here on the 1st October if government downgrade causes the news presenters and influencers to demask but it's more probable Thailand remains a mask mecca into 2023

I keep to myself for the most part out here in south east Thailand (Chanthaburi/Trat) but have to say I am amazed every night I am out on my empty jungle street in the middle of the night (work thru the night) and a motorbike passes or a car, and the single rider/occupant is wearing a mask still over 90% of the time around here, and during the day when we do some errands mask use is easily still well over 90%. The wife says many woman like it for the presumed protection from the sun they get / less need for make up if in a rush, but it is amazing to me how many have them glued on even though there is no requirement. We go everywhere with no mask and never get hassled about it so I am grateful for that, but we do get looks as we often are the only people in crowds of over 100 that have no masks. What can you say.....

• Haha 1

On 9/14/2022 at 7:27 AM, Bert got kinky said:

Step away from the tourist areas and it's a completely different story.

I understand that in Pattaya, Phuket, certain areas of Bangkok, etc, masks are the rarity but this does not go for the vast majority of Thailand.

As mentioned in my post above, I have been in a busy non tourist area for the entirety of the pandemic and since the mask rules came into place, I haven't seen one person out in public without a mask on.

Even within Bangkok, it depends where you are whether everyone is in masks or not.

While I concur with your mask wearing observation outside tourist areas and generally I mimic the wearing just to fit in,on the occasions I’ve forgotten my mask I carry on and am not met with any pushback or unsaid disapproval 

8 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

While I concur with your mask wearing observation outside tourist areas and generally I mimic the wearing just to fit in,on the occasions I’ve forgotten my mask I carry on and am not met with any pushback or unsaid disapproval 

Thais wouldn't speak of disapproval to you they would just think it. ????