train from CM to Bkk

1FinickyOne

4 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

does it break down for 13 hours? or you just don't like train rides and think everyone is exactly like you? 

I sure hope it don't break down. I don't mind a decent train journey actually, at least you can walk around and view the scenery .....  only problem is '  where's the bar '  ?

Edited by steven100

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

does it break down for 13 hours? or you just don't like train rides and think everyone is exactly like you? 

have taken a train from CM to BKK in a very long time ago so don't know what the current situation is like viz entry into Bangkok proper. back in the old days you'd get to the outskirts of Bangkok quite early then the train would crawl into Hualomphong, stopping randomly for what seemed like hours. 

Depending on your final destination and how keen your are to get off the train then disembarking earlier at say Bang Sue is an option. Then just jump a cab to your destination. it'll be nice and early so not much traffic.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrJoy said:

Is there a luxury sleeper option? Yes, 1st Class

How long? 12 to 13.5 hours

How much?  1953 THB per person

How often? Everyday

Online booking here -

https://www.dticket.railway.co.th/DTicketPublicWeb/home/Home

Depends how you define luxury. That most certainly does not apply to any train service in Thailand, except for the Orient Express if that still operates after Covid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First class, purchase two tickets for privacy and comfort. (You won't share with a stranger).

Newer trains much nicer.

Nothing luxurious.

If you have the time it's a great experience.

You'll probably choose to fly though after the train trip.

If you have time and a like trains it's well worth the experience. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TigerandDog said:

travelled from CM to BKK and return by the overnight train ( 1st class sleeping car ) last may. No restaurant or bar on the train. Need to buy your supplies ( food and drink) before boarding.

what sort of a train goes overnight 13 hours and doesn't have a god damn bar ?   that's crazy .... haha

2 hours ago, roo860 said:

Get your own food, and a few cans.

Done that with the wife and kids. But any liquor is frowned upon now. Had some Scotch and water in a "tea" bottle. Not the same at all as having beer or whiskey along with great Thai drinking food. Yam Wu Sen, Fried died beef, plates of cashews and the such. 

30 years ago I worked near Hualumphong and we had bought a house way out in Laksi. No worries I would jump on the 6:45pm train for Pitsunolak get to my seat in the dining car and the chef would have a cold beer right there. As I said the good old days. 

• Like 2

Although it has been many years often made that trip and quite enjoyed it - but luxury is not a term used for any class on Thai trains.  A cleaned bathroom is about the most you could hope for - and found 2nd class to be much more enjoyable than 1st class as good seating and people watching and you could actually sleep (rather than rolling out of bed every time the train stops in the across coach beds of 1st class).  Remember Thai rail is narrow gage so trains are not that wide.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

what sort of a train goes overnight 13 hours and doesn't have a god damn bar ?   that's crazy .... haha

They don't allow alcohol, or at least sell it on the train after a girl was raped by a drunk train steward years ago. 

Easy enough to purchase few beers and a greasy pizza to bring on board.

Many express trains travel all night.  Hopefully sleep and wake up close to your destination. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, marin said:

Done that with the wife and kids. But any liquor is frowned upon now. Had some Scotch and water in a "tea" bottle. Not the same at all as having beer or whiskey along with great Thai drinking food. Yam Wu Sen, Fried died beef, plates of cashews and the such. 

30 years ago I worked near Hualumphong and we had bought a house way out in Laksi. No worries I would jump on the 6:45pm train for Pitsunolak get to my seat in the dining car and the chef would have a cold beer right there. As I said the good old days. 

Definitely would increase ridership amongst tourists to have a dedicated lounge/restaurant car.  

• Like 1

Train No. 10 departing 18:00 is the newest and best fitted out one.  I've also used Train No. 14 which departs at 17:00 and found it acceptable, even though it's not as good as No. 10.

I travelled in Second Class lower bunk but the same is supposedly true for First Class.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Definitely would increase ridership amongst tourists to have a dedicated lounge/restaurant car.  

I don't drink but it surely would be nice to break up the trip w/a respite in a dining car and maybe try an adult beverage to help me sleep. 

Still undecided. 

Thanks for all responses.