Pouring a concrete slab for parking motorcycles, price of concrete truck or own pour

AndyAndyAndy

I need to pour a slab for parking motorcycles - 7m * 3m * 12cm (no idea about burger units).

How much would it cost to order a concrete mix truck? Last time we ordered one, we paid 1800 Bath per something (cubic meter, I don't know?). Slab is 2.52 meters^3  which would make it 4500Baht, if I'm right, does it make sense? Seems little too much?

Other option would be mix it by myself - I have 140 litres concrete mixer. Do you thing it would be possible to end up with reasonable result? I was pouring a lot of footings etc., sometimes like 20 mixes per evening. But I have no idea how much would the slab take. And how would that turn up?

If you have a concrete mixer then do it yourself. 

If you were mixing for footing foundations and and pouring then to mix for a slab will be easier for you. 

Don't see why you ask, you know the cubic M requirement already so, how many bags of cement and rough sand & stone needed is easy to work out. 

• Like 1

7 x 3 = 21 m/2 that's a sizeable slab.

You must put reo-bar in and add at least 1 expansion joint x 2 minimum.

To be sure of no random cracking, also use a heavier gauge e.g no less than 4 mm than the tiny gauge reo-bar Thai's tend to use - which is not anywhere near Oz standards and if at the lesser gauge invites random cracking. 

The issues with mixing and pouring small amounts i.e.a wheelbarrow at a time with a small mixer like you've got is the cure time between pours compromises the structural integrity of the slab - melding of each barrow load at the pour boundaries creates this weakness.

Remember your in a hot country where MPA needs to be quite high to slow the quick drying time of any pour whether truck or barrow styled mixes.

If you get your crete from a reputable supplier they can/will add cure-slowing agents to the mix to help with the fast cure time due to the inherent heat here. If the slab is under cover, and against the house then maybe add a waterproofing agent to deter ground moisture rising through it.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

7 x 3 = 21 m/2 that's a sizeable slab.

You must put reo-bar in and add at least 1 expansion joint x 2 minimum.

To be sure of no random cracking, also use a heavier gauge e.g no less than 4 mm than the tiny gauge reo-bar Thai's tend to use - which is not anywhere near Oz standards and if at the lesser gauge invites random cracking. 

The issues with mixing and pouring small amounts i.e.a wheelbarrow at a time with a small mixer like you've got is the cure time between pours compromises the structural integrity of the slab - melding of each barrow load at the pour boundaries creates this weakness.

Remember your in a hot country where MPA needs to be quite high to slow the quick drying time of any pour whether truck or barrow styled mixes.

If you get your crete from a reputable supplier they can/will add cure-slowing agents to the mix to help with the fast cure time due to the inherent heat here. If the slab is under cover, and against the house then maybe add a waterproofing agent to deter ground moisture rising through it.

total volume is only  2.1cbm if he goes 10cm thick which is fine. 

You  can purchase the lowest grade of the mixed cement that should be less than 1,800. 

You can spread it up in ca. 10cm thick layer by yourself, no need to bother with any rebars if the terrain is compact (more or less).

There 2 cbm trucks available, should be enough.  

Yesterday I got delivered 2 pallets of ceramic tiles. If I had this roofed motorcycle parking, I would let the truck back on that slab and put it down there. Slab will be right next to road and roofed. Because of this I want it to be at least 12cm thick. I don't think it will be much more money and it could come handy in future.

About paving it - wouldn't it required a concrete slab underneath anyway? If I wanted it to withstand truck driving on it?

The slab is L shaped (around the corned of the house). I was thinking about putting around house polyester insulation boards to keep a little space between house and slab to allow it expanding, moving. 

2 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Yesterday I got delivered 2 pallets of ceramic tiles. If I had this roofed motorcycle parking, I would let the truck back on that slab and put it down there. Slab will be right next to road and roofed. Because of this I want it to be at least 12cm thick. I don't think it will be much more money and it could come handy in future.

About paving it - wouldn't it required a concrete slab underneath anyway? If I wanted it to withstand truck driving on it?

The slab is L shaped (around the corned of the house). I was thinking about putting around house polyester insulation boards to keep a little space between house and slab to allow it expanding, moving. 

If you want to pave it,   you just need compacted crusher dust for a base, medium fine black stone,  it's used under pavers.  Lay the crusher dust down then spread it out and compact, water then compact, then lay pavers on top.  Provided rain water cannot infiltrate underneath the pavers and was the base out it will be fine.  Trucks drive on pavers at times.  After a few months it will have settled rock hard and no issue. 

image.png.a04f75bc74bf1e9e1164011612e0754f.png

image.png.0326d8c6e039041afda6ede24df75619.png

Edited by steven100