Do stores have gift receipts in Thailand?

dj230

Central Group stores have either printed gift vouchers with a fixed value of THB 100/ THB 200 and THB 500.

They also have plastic gift cards which you can purchase with a fixed value of THB1,000/ THB 2,000/ THB 5,000/ THB 10,000.

ngmoej7ezzduwbc3ifuc.jpg.500fb8d7b4638a13569b303a8fbf70c1.jpg

See here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

Many stores do not accept returns or exchanges unless the item is faulty.

Much safer to give cash. It's highly regarded and preferred 99 times out of 100.

yea didn't seem like returns are very great in Thailand, went to jdsports today to get some shoes for my gf's friend, they said you could return the shoes but when I read the receipt it said exchanges only. I asked about gift receipts and they had no clue what I was talking about. Luckily asked for their shoes size but its weird because every shoe fits different even with the same size.

I went to an Asus store in central world looking to buy a laptop, horrible return policy, 7 days only and ONLY if the item is faulty, thats probably the worst return policy I've seen with computers.

2 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

Central Group stores have either printed gift vouchers with a fixed value of THB 100/ THB 200 and THB 500.

They also have plastic gift cards which you can purchase with a fixed value of THB1,000/ THB 2,000/ THB 5,000/ THB 10,000.

ngmoej7ezzduwbc3ifuc.jpg.500fb8d7b4638a13569b303a8fbf70c1.jpg

See here.

I thought about gift cards at central but I found most things at central department stores to be priced a bit higher than if you went to the stores themselves 

Edited by dj230

5 minutes ago, dj230 said:

I thought about gift cards at central but I found most things at central department stores to be priced a bit higher than if you went to the stores themselves 

Why would you want to exchange cash, which you can spend anywhere, for anything, in perpetuity, into an unguaranteed credit note with an expiry date that is only redeemable at limited locations where the goods on sale may not be the cheapest? Gift cards really are a triumph of marketing.

Thai culture is very different from your home country. Cash is most welcome here.

Just now, blackcab said:

Why would you want to exchange cash, which you can spend anywhere, for anything, in perpetuity, into an unguaranteed credit note with an expiry date that is only redeemable at limited locations where the goods on sale may not be the cheapest? Gift cards really are a triumph of marketing.

Thai culture is very different from your home country. Cash is most welcome here.

I personally never gave gift cards, I prefer to give a gift that the person would use on a daily basis which could somehow improve their lives in someway. i.e more comfortable shoes, better phone/laptop, electric toothbrush, depends on the person and the occasion. 

I prefer not to give cash either, it's easily forgotten, when you give a gift that someone uses daily it leaves a longer lasting memory. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dj230 said:

I personally never gave gift cards, I prefer to give a gift that the person would use on a daily basis which could somehow improve their lives in someway. i.e more comfortable shoes, better phone/laptop, electric toothbrush, depends on the person and the occasion. 

I prefer not to give cash either, it's easily forgotten, when you give a gift that someone uses daily it leaves a longer lasting memory. 

Just don't buy your partner a steam iron and an ironing board.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JayClay said:

To be fair to them, I'd never heard of the concept either until I opened this thread.

Interesting, maybe it's a North American thing,

It's essentially a receipt you give with the gift so the person receiving can exchange or get a gift card if they don't like the gift or if it doesn't fit them

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, dj230 said:

It's essentially a receipt you give with the gift so the person receiving can exchange or get a gift card if they don't like the gift or if it doesn't fit them

Yes I kind of got that from the contents of the thread and I have a couple of questions.... How does it differ from a standard purchase receipt? And if it affords you additional options for changing at a later date than a normal receipt does then why would you not always ask for one (in your home country) whenever making a purchase regardless of whether you really are buying it as a gift or not?

Sorry if I'm derailing the thread somewhat (although I think it's safe to assume that they don't exist here ???? )

3 minutes ago, JayClay said:

How does it differ from a standard purchase receipt?

A gift receipt typically doesn't have the pricing on it. It's a proof of purchase rather than a proof of purchase at a specific amount, but it can be matched to a full receipt in the POS system.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JayClay said:

Yes I kind of got that from the contents of the thread and I have a couple of questions.... How does it differ from a standard purchase receipt? And if it affords you additional options for changing at a later date than a normal receipt does then why would you not always ask for one (in your home country) whenever making a purchase regardless of whether you really are buying it as a gift or not?

Sorry if I'm derailing the thread somewhat (although I think it's safe to assume that they don't exist here ???? )

Actually it provides you less options for changing the product. 
a gift receipt only allows you to either exchange the product or get a gift card in exchange for the return, while a regular receipt allows you a full refund to the payment method you used 

it’s typically only used when giving a gift incase the item doesn’t fit the person I.e shoes being too big/small

• Like 1

On 9/18/2022 at 9:45 PM, Woof999 said:

A gift receipt typically doesn't have the pricing on it. It's a proof of purchase rather than a proof of purchase at a specific amount, but it can be matched to a full receipt in the POS system.

Still, when they went to exchange the gift item, they'd know the price eventually if they ask what value they can exchange it for

On 9/18/2022 at 2:34 PM, dj230 said:

Holiday season coming up, was wondering if Thailand has gift receipts, i.e receipts for people to return gifts for exchange/gift cards?

Always weird asking people for their shoe size

Just give cash as a gift, in our western culture that would seem a bit strange, but absolutely common in Thailand, even within the family etc. To make it a little bit special you could get such a flower/cash bouquet.

For new year my girlfriend's extended family decided that everybody should by a gift in the 500-1000 baht range, and then we make a draw so that everybody gets a random gift. Turned out most people just put a 500 or 1000 baht bill in an envelope or a box.

Edited by FriendlyFarang