Best 60 day Visa routes/options for a UK National traveling in Lao?

Hi, I'm thinking of flying to Lao to apply for 60 day visa. Any ideas which city its best to fly to from chiang Mai, which is the most straight forward route/thai embassy etc? I did land border crossing into Lao last month (visa exemption) thai immigration gave me 30 days but told me i can't do same trip again, i have to fly to Lao next time. Its confusing there seems to be many rules..

many thanks

Montana

I don't think there is any airline that has direct flights to Vientiane. Savannakhet is even more difficult to travel to by air.

Since you will be applying for tourist visa this time you will not have a problem entering the country by land.

If you apply for the visa at the embassy in Vientiane you will have to make an appointment.

See: https://thaivisavientiane.com/#

No appointment is needed at the consulate in Savannakhet.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't think there is any airline that has direct flights to Vientiane. Savannakhet is even more difficult to travel to by air.

Since you will be applying for tourist visa this time you will not have a problem entering the country by land.

If you apply for the visa at the embassy in Vientiane you will have to make an appointment.

many thanks for the info bud, i love this forum ????

You can leave Thailand by land. The issue is returning for a visa exempt entry as (I assume) you already have two visa exemptions by land in 2022.

My suggestion would be to travel overland Chiang Mai->Udon Thani->Nong Khai->Vientiane, planning to get a tourist visa in Vientiane. With a visa, there is no problem re-entering Thailand by land.

Note that you need an appointment to apply for a tourist visa in Vientiane, and must plan to stay overnight in Vientiane.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

You can leave Thailand by land. The issue is returning for a visa exempt entry as (I assume) you already have two visa exemptions by land in 2022.

My suggestion would be to travel overland Chiang Mai->Udon Thani->Nong Khai->Vientiane, planning to get a tourist visa in Vientiane. With a visa, there is no problem re-entering Thailand by land.

Note that you need an appointment to apply for a tourist visa in Vientiane, and must plan to stay overnight in Vientiane.

I've only crossed land border once, I think immirgation got confused with my Covid exemptions stamps maybe? How many times can one apply for 60 tourist visa? for example can i continue traveling every 3 months to apply for tourist visa in Lao Vientiane?

16 minutes ago, montana2008 said:

How many times can one apply for 60 tourist visa? for example can i continue traveling every 3 months to apply for tourist visa in Lao Vientiane?

Until they turn you down, or warn you to don't try for another.  Use to be 180 days in country per year.

21 minutes ago, montana2008 said:

How many times can one apply for 60 tourist visa? for example can i continue traveling every 3 months to apply for tourist visa in Lao Vientiane?

Won't work.

Might be rejected after two back to back tourist visas.

Places like Phnom Penh issue the visa and place VOID stamp on it. 

6 hours ago, montana2008 said:

Staying indefinitely on tourist visas has become hard. If you want to try, I would suggest getting the first in Phnom Penh, Kuala Lumpur or Penang where they are liable to reject based on tourist visas from other consulates. After that, you can probably get two in Vientiane, then one in Savannakhet, then a couple in Saigon or Hanoi (but re-entering by land from there is a real pain, though you should be OK flying to Chiang Mai). When Myanmar reopens, the best consulate of all is probably Yangon. You can fly there (with a Myanmar visa) and return by land at Maesot. As I mentioned before, when your plans unravel, you use your two visa exempt entries by land as your emergency fall back.

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Can you get a Tourist Visa in Savannakhet or only in Vientiane?  Thanks.

8 hours ago, arithai12 said:

At a quick check, Lao and Thai Smile fly direct from BKK, Air Asia flies direct from DMK.

The OP was asking about a flight from Chiang Mai.

17 hours ago, montana2008 said:

Hi, I'm thinking of flying to Lao to apply for 60 day visa. Any ideas which city its best to fly to from chiang Mai