Why Don't Thais Care If Their Kids Die

Bangkok Barry

It is part of the right wing ideology. Everyone out for themselves, individualism, life of hard knocks etc.

They throw the kid in deep water and expect them to learn to swim.  I did a lot of things like this in my life. I always learned a lot but also lost a lot too. lost money, made money, broken bones, etc.

If you don't learn to learn things by yourself you will never really get anywhere. Life is about taking risks.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

* If something is going to happen then its going to happen and there's nothing you can do about it* is a phrase I have heard quite a few times .

Like, if you are scheduled to die on that day, then you are going to die and there's nothing you can do about that , just need to go to the Temple regularly and try to gain favour with Buddha and hope he stops you from dying , walk around the Temple three times, ring some bells and make a donation , should see you through the week 

True ????

13 hours ago, bob smith said:

lack of education breads an ignorant populace. half of the grown ups in rural areas never even finished high school, what did you expect?

Physically they may be grown ups, mentally they are still kids. Until the education system advances beyond the 1700s, it will always be thus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

While I basically agree with the OP, but kids/teens riding bikes is often part of life in isolated or farming communities. All over the world , kids on farms learn to ride bikes, horses, tractors etc, it often a necessity in rural locations. Given the correct instruction and supervision they can learn the skills and have a healthy respect for the riding, get themselves to school, help out with farm chores etc.

I appreciate the concern but would also ask the question, "are significant numbers of kids/teens having accidents/dying on bikes that they control" ?

I would be more concerned with riders that are the correct age, have a license etc, and are driving drunk, speeding etc

Yep ???? We all know that there are so many moments on the roads here by almost everyone where folks drive mind-bogglingly badly.

I have family from the land and the kids drove very well, safely, knew the road rules (Australia NSW) by the age of 10 but, never drove on public roads!

Our member who spoke of grandparents taking care of energetic fast moving kids is a huge endemic issue here with control and directing.

Lack of money and sheer practical necessity is another.

If folks drive safely e.g. 'didn't pull out in a pickup and have a large truck stop inches from it' ... is just one example of cause and effect here.

Basic road rules and behaviours are all but absent.

Pulling out into gridlock crawling traffic in BKK or the local town is not like pulling out into a fast flowing roadway and thinking I can crawl out or simply drive out into the traffic and not invite an accident.

Speeding, driving vehicles in poorly maintained often overloaded condition is another serious issue. With kids add the undeveloped brain, mirrored/modelled complacency and children die horrifically and needlessly on the roads.

Add lots of alcohol and ya ba to the mix with adults and teens n what a death-recipe.

11 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'd guess that many would still demand 'compensation' from the rich farang, and if the police get a cut then they'd likely 'suggest' very strongly that you comply. It must be your fault regardless, as that voids them of any responsibility. In my 26 years here I've only once seen anyone take responsibility for anything.

In the Muslim world it is called inshallah. Allah wills

In Thailand,  I think it is more about convenience and economics.  stead of mom, dad or a relative driving them anywhere they just teach the kids how to ride a motorcycle then give them the keys and tell them not to take anyone on the bike with them and to drive safely.

Famous last words.

I think that if the rules were as lax in the west that we would see more kids driving cars or motorcycles there.  It makes sense sort of.

The reason that we do not see it in the west is that the rules are there AND ARE ENFORCED.  Also insurance companies would have a field day with parents if they got caught with their kid driving the car alone.

Kids driving is the same problem as everything else in this country.  NO ONE WANTS TO ENFORCE THE RULES.

Thousands die from accidents due to alcohol and yet the punishment is minimal

Thousands probably die from not wearing a helmet

The country says it is against prostitution

Seatbelts

There are so many things that are not legal but are done all the time that it is ridiculous.

Add this to the list and just remember that we are in their country and that we are seen as a cash cow if we are in an accident. 

BTW this is normal for all of  Asia and Africa

• Like 2

I see almost daily on my Soi during early mornings where other small roads merge, mothers and or fathers with their kids, merge without even looking, its unbelievable. Drive defensively folks or YOU will be headed for trouble.......  

• Love It 1

Years ago I asked a Thai teacher, who had just been given a 200B fine yet again for not wearing a helmet, why didn't he get one the answer was to the effect that they don't have checkpoints every day and a 200B fine is cheaper than buying a helmet.

I tried to point out to him that as a teacher he should be showing a good example to the pupils by wearing one, the reply was it's up to me, and they'll do what they want.

The police don't help, today I saw one on a motorcycle pushing his way through traffic with his red lights flashing wearing only a standard uniform cap. He stopped 100 yards up the road to take photos/video of the policeman that was directing traffic.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I doubt they'll live until the weekend, but no-one cares. Someone gave them the keys and happily sent them off to a possible death. Why? Of course, the kids may not have been sent out by parents as so many parents don't actually raise their own kids, but dump them on elderly grandparents who probably struggle to look after themselves, let alone a boisterous kid. Still, it's their kids, their culture, their problem, so why should we care if they don't? But what happens if someone dies by crashing into your car, or mine?

You can't cure stupid, you can't change mindsets.

It's too far ingrained, chill-out and let them do as they wish.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, stoner said:

so is walking then. quick hide under your covers you will be safe there. 

meanwhile out in the real world most rational people see a huge problem with a 10 year old riding a motorbike. there is really a quick and easy solution. 

also how many kids do you hear about dying on bicycles compared to motorbikes ? ill go out on a limb and say the numbers are a little lopsided to say the least. 

Not many of either tbh...you have some reliable figures?

PH

12 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I'd guess that many would still demand 'compensation' from the rich farang, and if the police get a cut then they'd likely 'suggest' very strongly that you comply. It must be your fault regardless, as that voids them of any responsibility. In my 26 years here I've only once seen anyone take responsibility for anything.

What happens when a driver or rider is involved in an accident with you, a farang, and is either underage, unlicenced, uninsured, and is 100% to blame, and causes you very serious health or financial damage?

Is it just a case of "sorry, the person who caused to all this grief, and serious financial damage has no insurance and unable to compensate you in any way, bye bye?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stoner said:

so is walking then. quick hide under your covers you will be safe there. 

meanwhile out in the real world most rational people see a huge problem with a 10 year old riding a motorbike. there is really a quick and easy solution. 

also how many kids do you hear about dying on bicycles compared to motorbikes ? ill go out on a limb and say the numbers are a little lopsided to say the least. 

When you read the Thai news either here on AN/TV, or anywhere else, why is it there are always reports about people being killed and seriously injured on the roads, but rarely if ever, do you read of some underage kid, who was killed while riding a motorbike.

That must happen very often here in Thailand every day.

8 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

When you read the Thai news either here on AN/TV, or anywhere else, why is it there are always reports about people being killed and seriously injured on the roads, but rarely if ever, do you read of some underage kid, who was killed while riding a motorbike.

That must happen very often here in Thailand every day.

Of course it must.  They are clearly hiding the truth.  I'm sure you can explain why they would do this.

Or maybe, just maybe, this supports a view that few underage kids are involved in serious accidents.

PH

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

What happens when a driver or rider is involved in an accident with you, a farang, and is either underage, unlicenced, uninsured, and is 100% to blame, and causes you very serious health or financial damage?

Is it just a case of "sorry, the person who caused to all this grief, and serious financial damage has no insurance and unable to compensate you in any way, bye bye?

A very good reason to have Class One Insurance and front/rear dashcams.

PH

Edited by Phulublub
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

In the Muslim world it is called inshallah. Allah wills

In Thailand,  I think it is more about convenience and economics.  stead of mom, dad or a relative driving them anywhere they just teach the kids how to ride a motorcycle then give them the keys and tell them not to take anyone on the bike with them and to drive safely.

Famous last words.

I think that if the rules were as lax in the west that we would see more kids driving cars or motorcycles there.  It makes sense sort of.

The reason that we do not see it in the west is that the rules are there AND ARE ENFORCED.  Also insurance companies would have a field day with parents if they got caught with their kid driving the car alone.

Kids driving is the same problem as everything else in this country.  NO ONE WANTS TO ENFORCE THE RULES.

Thousands die from accidents due to alcohol and yet the punishment is minimal

Thousands probably die from not wearing a helmet

Seatbelts

There are so many things that are not legal but are done all the time that it is ridiculous.

Add this to the list and just remember that we are in their country and that we are seen as a cash cow if we are in an accident. 

BTW this is normal for all of  Asia and Africa

"we are seen as a cash cow if we are in an accident."  That is one of the reasons I only keep enough money in Thailand for living expenses. They cannot force you to sell your house as it is not in your name. In other words, no one can get what you haven't got. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

When people argue that they don’t want Thailand to turn into a ‘nanny state’ like home, it is for these reasons I disagree with them. 

Rules and regulations when adequately enforced protect us - the above example posted by possum is a perfect example of exactly why we need the government to step up and protect us. 

While some rules from our home countries may seem stifling and controlling and perhaps unnecessary there are many more which are in place purely for the welfare and safety of the general public - in Thailand, these rules exist, but they are not enforced. 

In the situation above ‘the nanny state’ would ensure the injured party is looked after - while there may be a lot to be said against an ‘over controlling nanny state’ there is a lot to be said for a government that ensures regulations are enforced for the betterment and general protection of society.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

3 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

A very good reason to have Class One Insurance and front/rear dashcams.

PH

Very true, but what if the person who causes the accident to you has no insurance. Do you just have to accept it and that's that?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bob smith said:

lack of education breads an ignorant populace. half of the grown ups in rural areas never even finished high school, what did you expect?

It is both a lack of education and idleness of the parents who feel it is okay to send their children on errands on motorbikes.

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Very true, but what if the person who causes the accident to you has no insurance. Do you just have to accept it and that's that?

My insurance covers me and my car whether the other party has any insurance or not.  That's kind of the point of it!

PH

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As many have mentioned, fatalism is a big part of Thai life. No one sees their imminent death because of something they did. Seven-year-olds especially.

I wouldn't blame it on Buddha as he is not there in a statue (gone to Nirvana is the official stance, kicked the bucket a more colloquial term) and has no ability to assist anyone. Also, a lot of Thai beliefs are part Hindu, part animistic, hence the superstition that if you wear an amulet or have a tattoo, you won't face harm.

Possible reasons why parents give their kids a motorbike are (a) because of the belief kids will take care of parents in their old age - so don't upset the kids. Show them love, give them leeway and they are your future pension and (b) distances being what they are, walking over 10 kilometers is never going to get you to school on time. 

Telling them to ride a bicycle instead is still going to get them killed if they go on a main road as they really do not learn how to ride. Just try cycling around the bicycle track at Bangkok's Railway Park to see how many swerve left and right at will, emergency brake to see if dad is following and the unexpected U-turn two feet in front of you because, well, I don't really know.

The best you can do if your are a westerner is to teach your kid/stepchild to ride and cross the street safely.

• Like 1

I know I am in the 10% of the worlds population that does not believe in any form of religion so any belief (in my opinion) in any form of life after death is purely based on teachings by people who have not any proof of this happening. If it makes people feel good to believe what happens afterwards then good luck to them and I will not try to tell then otherwise . But the replies on here about this subject are undoubtedly from some people that do believe in religion  but not the Thai religion. 

2 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Seatbelts

"Prostitution seatbelts " should be installed in every bar in Thailand . When you stand up to leave the bar with a prostitute , the seat belt locks and keeps you in your seat .

Would have saved me a few quid and a few trips to the Hospital had I been wearing one 

Edited by Mac Mickmanus
  • Haha 1