Tricky farang in a Lambo! Egg seller claims foreigner switched drivers after accident

webfact

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Traffic accidents victims are not treated free in Thailand. Hence why the driver paid her 6,000 Baht. She had NO insurance, not even the Por Ror Bor or that would have covered her medical bill. She should not have been out on the road. I can't speak for him other than he seemed to have been aware of his responsibility.

Based on your response I read what was presented here not saying it isn't true just my scanning all pages here I don't see information or link that would draw your conclusion.  

Regardless here in Thailand from my own experience I would not be surprise if what you said isn't true.

There is two ways one can handle the situation even for a Thai lawyer in court.  You can apply " This is Thailand " or the actual law of operating any vehicle in Thailand. 

One can simple use the law and argue " based on your remarks : she shouldn't have been on the road if that is the case the other party shouldn't have offer even the 6000, doing so anywhere would be a admission of guilt? You indicate they were aware of their responsibility if so then why offer anything?  Can't have it both ways in my book. 

As I noted there is no mentioned of fault in the accident at this point not relevant but out of interest I would like to know who is the victim? 

The fact if you are correct she shouldn't have been on the road if not there would be no accident is what I consider thinking " this is Thailand "  the law doesn't matter like many police practice " if you have it better off you should pay regardless you feel better about yourself " ????

In court even in Thailand it is the law that matters but the Lamborghini negated that right by offerring her 6000 plus 100,000 for the eggs, in my book if they were within the law should have offer nothing doing so is an admission of guilt on their part.  But if footage shows they did make a switch it is reason why the offer was made and when they did they should have just offer enough so it isn't on the news! 

In the end, driving a Lamborghini they got a bit cheap the reason they are a bit deeper in the <deleted>. Just my two baht. 

4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Where did it say that it is a "very fact" that a foreigner would be treated differently?     The very fact that it didn't does speak volumes, though.

He was expressing an opinion or quoting an experience.

You always are quick to jump in with your thoughts, which may be wrong or right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

Based on your response I read what was presented here not saying it isn't true just my scanning all pages here I don't see information or link that would draw your conclusion.  

1 hour ago, thailand49 said:

anywhere would be a admission of guilt?

Paying money to a person in Thailand is not an admission of guilt. It's the way Thais cement over problems that aren't problems if you get my drift. It's expected that the more affluent person will pay, or offer, compensation. It's the Thai way.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Paying money to a person in Thailand is not an admission of guilt. It's the way Thais cement over problems that aren't problems if you get my drift. It's expected that the more affluent person will pay, or offer, compensation. It's the Thai way.

Yes you are correct,  the reason I noted the law " or This is Thailand " regardless in a court of law it is the law that applies if argue correctly just because that is how it might be done.  As I noted if that was the case the Lamborghini should have cough up more as you just stated outside of the law.

How much is the Lamborghini?  Some noted 30 million and you offer 6000, and only 100,000 for the eggs yet market it was value at 190,000.

Based on your reply certainly the better off got cheap and didn't do as they are capable thus your statement falls apart. 

A few years back in Na Jomtien police station with a family friend (victim) other driver admitted wrong yet police try to extort 200,000 this was a civil cases not criminal. As you noted we were better off police said we were better off,  feel better,  this is how things are done. We kind of stood around see who was going to crack first after 15 minutes of silent we got up told the captian we are leaving if you need us again we will bring our lawyer to this day we have never heard again from anyone. 

In this case you have two elements the accident itself which is civil then because of the possible switching is criminal. Reason I noted the offer not because they are just better off because guilty of what they did?  If correct as I noted and noted should of not got cheap anty up and case is closed! 

Edited by thailand49
  • Thanks 1

Had a Benz breaking to hard unexpectedly so I drove in it from behind. The driver was a young lad and then the older guy took away the police. I quickly followed and saw him give the police his Drivers licence. I told my gf to tell the police that he wasn't driving, instead the young guy was.

Then the insirance guy came and asked me for 6000bht to cover insurance. I said.ok and drove away. They tried to screw me .

11 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

This, while possible, would not be the norm in Thailand where insurance usually covers the vehicle, without respect to who is driving it.

Not always

Named driver insurance is going to be cheaper especially in a Lambo.

Edited by kwak250
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, sead said:

Had a Benz breaking to hard unexpectedly so I drove in it from behind. The driver was a young lad and then the older guy took away the police. I quickly followed and saw him give the police his Drivers licence. I told my gf to tell the police that he wasn't driving, instead the young guy was.

Then the insirance guy came and asked me for 6000bht to cover insurance. I said.ok and drove away. They tried to screw me .

Theoretically, you hit the car from behind, too close, you were at fault. 

If you had 1st class insurance, it should have dealt with it all without any need for payment from you. 

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Theoretically, you hit the car from behind, too close, you were at fault. 

If you had 1st class insurance, it should have dealt with it all without any need for payment from you. 

Unless excess was 6000 baht ?

12 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

The very fact that a foreigner would be treated differently than a Thai for doing the same thing speaks volumes.  No wonder they traded places.

It's possible he had a lot to hide - perhaps past DUI convictions, visa or immigration issues, license or insurance issues, car registration issues, maybe killed a policeman while driving drunk. So it might be that he gets treated differently because he deserves to legally, not because he's a poor discriminated against farang. Did he not just break the law by switching places? That speaks volumes about his respect for the law. 

13 hours ago, pokerface1 said:

He just has to find another witness to say that he had swapped prior to the lady seeing him swap  the second time. It might cost him a few baht but it's worth a try Right?

.... or they could claim that they were not wearing seat belts so a involuntary swopping happened during the accident. When they stopped, they swopped back. This will only cost 2x fine for not wearing a seat belt .... :thumbsup:

22 hours ago, webfact said:

Now a lawyer is going to the Muang Phetchaburi police with the damning evidence that could see the foreigner in deep trouble, possibly facing prison.

So we are openly admitting the punishment for a foreigner would be substantially different to that a Thai would receive?

21 hours ago, AsianAtHeart said:

The very fact that a foreigner would be treated differently than a Thai for doing the same thing speaks volumes.  No wonder they traded places.

You must be a newcomer to Thailand if you make such comments...

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have had 8 cars... Insurance have only ever taken a photo of one of the cars (an expensive one).... 

Did insurance come out to take photos of your car for the policy ?

Anyone else, have you had insurance come out to take a photo of your car at the beginning or renewal of your policy ?

No never, but told them 10% discount for dash cam ? only came and took photos of dash cam, with the young lady laying across the rear seat, legs akimbo ????   to take the photo, and then it was probably only to show head office as prove for the discount.