Anutin: "They" may have stopped wearing masks but Thais are still "naa rak" for keeping them on to prevent disease

webfact

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've been wearing N95 masks whenever I'm close around other people outside of the house for the duration of the pandemic, and will continue doing so until COVID is no longer a health risk one way or another.

I don't need or rely on Anutin or the Thai government to tell me what to do. I don't care whether Thai people have the custom of wearing them or not, though obviously I'd personally prefer they do. Don't care how many people in my home country (with 1 million+ "officially" dead from COVID) have stopped wearing them.

Rather, I follow the science, follow public health agency advice, and follow common sense, and do my best to both safeguard my own health and not endanger the health of those around me.

But it does quite amuse me how mask wearing for public health purposes seems to drive some folks here literally crazy.... ????

From June 2022:

“Now, more than ever, we need to decrease the transmission of COVID-19,” said Dr. Edje, noting that “Omicron is the most contagious of the variants, so far. It is three times higher than that of the Delta variant and the second most contagious virus known to man, only second to measles.

“This is the reason that N95s are recommended for use by the general public,” she added, noting that “N95 masks offer the highest level of protection because they protect against both large and small particles rather than just large particles.”

--Louito Edje, MD, a family physician and associate dean of graduate medical education at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center

https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-care/public-health/what-doctors-wish-patients-knew-about-wearing-n95-masks

The pandemic was declared over a few days ago. Do you live under a rock?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SpanishExpat said:

Will this clown ever shut up???!! It was YOU, „Mr 7x vaxed“, who went to Europe and didn’t give a <deleted>** about wearing a mask. 

i hate the Thai elite so much for being able to manipulate the thai population, as it has nothing to do with fear anymore. If there was a clear statement that masks (at least outdoors) are not necessary at all, guess what? Thai People would stop wearing them immediately. 

however this „up to you“ mask situation is nothing else than „wear it to until we stop telling you“. I pity the average Thai for just following blindly, but I don’t judge them , as it’s all about how they are educated since they are born.

Dont hate the Thai elite. It are the people who let it be.  Why don't they open their mouth for one time. And get rid of these so called elite. It happened before I France. Millions of Thai can make the change.  No army can prevent it. 

9 hours ago, LatPhrao said:

This is the fundamental purpose of wearing a mask.  PROTECTING OTHERS.  And Thai people care to protect their families, their parents, their aunts, uncles, cousins. They  are 'lovely' in this regard.  They are also distinct from people who do not care except their own discomfort and selfish lack of concern about others.   'Wearing a mask helps stop infected people from spreading disease to others. Evidence also suggests that masks may offer some protection for the people wearing them.'   It is not about you! It's about others.

Was yes...  But now not anymore.  Start to think by yourself instead as a blind horse follow what is told and untrue

Mask don't protect you... 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Snig27 said:

Correction. People in parts of Bangkok are. In much of the country they've largely gone and have been for a while now. Even in BKK there are less and less in some back street areas. Off the main roads of Chinatown for example, younger people seem to have dumped masks. 

The parts of Bangkok I’ve been around, and the area I live in 90% of Thais and 0% of tourists are wearing masks. I’ve been in the UK and Spain recently and Covid is still very much around with only a handful wearing masks. In Spain most don’t wear masks except on public transport where it’s still mandatory.

3 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

I have traveled to the south. Krabi area.  Hardly anyone wearing a mask. Today I went to 7-Eleven in Hua Hin. Half the people in there no mask. Both shopping malls alot of people no mask. I have one in my back pocket, but haven't been using it. If I see 100% of the people wearing one I will put mine on to be polite.  But if I go in someplace and there are others without.  It stays in my pocket. 

A good compromise. I suppose that this fad will eventually and only suspicious characters will wear them which is becoming the norm in the UK

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

"We have to remember that wearing masks is not just a preventative measure for Covid but protects people against resipratory and gastrointestinal diseases too", he noted.

Maybe after Covid you can cure PM2.5 then Thais could remove them without filling their lungs with killer particles.

19 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

Dirty foreigners.

He just can't help himself.. 

tourism minister is almost begging foreigners to come and bailout the country while he can't resist having a dig at them.

Thailand really does deserve better than to suffer under these clowns.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

And he he has said in pointed comments that "people in other places" may not be wearing them but Thais still were.

That's because your government and tourism minister lie to foreigners and tell them that Thailand is squeaky clean and they can visit without the need to wear a mask.

However Thais who live here know that's a lie and continue to protect themselves accordingly.

20 hours ago, lessismore said:

Does anyone know if there are other countries where people don't want to give up the mask?

Just curious.

I like to watch Sumo and it appears they are still being worn in Japan, certainly inside sporting events. I suspect China is too.  

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've been wearing N95 masks whenever I'm close around other people outside of the house for the duration of the pandemic, and will continue doing so until COVID is no longer a health risk one way or another.

I don't need or rely on Anutin or the Thai government to tell me what to do. I don't care whether Thai people have the custom of wearing them or not, though obviously I'd personally prefer they do. Don't care how many people in my home country (with 1 million+ "officially" dead from COVID) have stopped wearing them.

Rather, I follow the science, follow public health agency advice, and follow common sense, and do my best to both safeguard my own health and not endanger the health of those around me.

But it does quite amuse me how mask wearing for public health purposes seems to drive some folks here literally crazy.... ????

From June 2022:

“Now, more than ever, we need to decrease the transmission of COVID-19,” said Dr. Edje, noting that “Omicron is the most contagious of the variants, so far. It is three times higher than that of the Delta variant and the second most contagious virus known to man, only second to measles.

“This is the reason that N95s are recommended for use by the general public,” she added, noting that “N95 masks offer the highest level of protection because they protect against both large and small particles rather than just large particles.”

--Louito Edje, MD, a family physician and associate dean of graduate medical education at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center

https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-care/public-health/what-doctors-wish-patients-knew-about-wearing-n95-masks

Are you purchasing the N95 masks locally?

Any brand or a name brand like 3M?

22 hours ago, Iamfalang said:

It's been  years, and people STILL tighten their mask when I, the falang, walk by.

You have chosen the Mask.  LOS is Mask.   You no like no like, go home to no-mask country.

but here, in Maskland.......expect to wear your mask for the next five years.  or longer.  

In Pattaya the mask situation is becoming quite relaxed... probably due to the number of tourists getting around that don't wear them. Masked and unmasked coexist quite comfortably. I'm quite happy if they keep wearing them forever as it keeps the environment cleaner for me. My wife always wears one, but that's fine - she doesn't have to put on all her makeup and it gets her out faster. Slowly I'm seeing more and more Thais sans masks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

The parts of Bangkok I’ve been around, and the area I live in 90% of Thais and 0% of tourists are wearing masks. I’ve been in the UK and Spain recently and Covid is still very much around with only a handful wearing masks. In Spain most don’t wear masks except on public transport where it’s still mandatory.

A good example is the Royal Funeral and the days leading up to it. Hundreds of thousands of people queuing up to pay their respects at Westminster Hall without masks. No servicemen were wearing them. Crowds of people along the streets with few wearing masks. I didn't see anyone at the funeral wearing them - 2000 plus in one building. Even the royal family wasn't wearing them when greeting mourners, and they were even shaking hands with them. Even the King, who has had covid twice. Even the original mask tzar, Biden, and his wife weren't wearing one.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, webfact said:

The CCSA is being disbanded and visitors to Thailand will no longer have to have vaccinations or ATK tests from the end of next week.

And are being told that Thailand is a safe haven and that masks are NOT mandatory.

So why should they wear them?

It seems this mans arrogance knows no boundaries, yet he mocks the people who are bringing money into his impoverished country.

Time to vote this hideous mob out of office.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

And are being told that Thailand is a safe haven and that masks are NOT mandatory.

So why should they wear them?

It seems this mans arrogance knows no boundaries, yet he mocks the people who are bringing money into his impoverished country.

Time to vote this hideous mob out of office.

Weak effort at politicising something that is cultural..

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1