Hotmail Account. Things Have Changed.

NoshowJones

Anyone else with a Hotmail account have the same problem as me? It used to be the case that if you deleted something by mistake, you clicked on "deleted" and got it straight back. Did it for years without a problem.

Now if you try to recover one post, there are that many coming up, that it is hard to find that post again.

I have noticed this for a very long time now. Anyone know what's happened?

I found an email which I had deleted weeks ago when I clicked 'show more' in the Deleted box. Only works with Outlook, not with Mail. Hotmail account from when Bill Gates was a boy. 555

Edited by KannikaP

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Hotmail? Seems as ancient as AOL and Yahoo mail. Get with the times!

I do not understand what you mean. Microsoft Office uses Outlook, and Windows 11 uses Mail. Both work perfectly for all my different email addresses/accounts.

17 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Look in the deleted folder, think they stay there for 60 days

30 days. 

As long as OP has not ticked the box in Settings to empty the deleted items folder when Outlook (Hotmail) closes.

15 hours ago, topt said:

Outlook web mail is what Hotmail turned into. If you try and set up a new address you are not able to have hotmail address it will be outlook.com..

To all intents and purposes they are one and the same.

Office Outlook is also a stand alone part of the Office Suite (excel/word etc) or Office 365 but don't confuse it with the separate web mail which you are presumably using.

Although to confuse you more you can access your hotmail/outlook accounts using office Outlook......

Yes it is very confusing, so I cannot change even just the name from hotmail to outlook on my email address. Crazy.

26 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes it is very confusing, so I cannot change even just the name from hotmail to outlook on my email address. Crazy.

Of course you can't. Email addresses need to be unique.

If you use the email address "[email protected]", then you can't simply change it to "[email protected]" as somebody else may already own that email address.

Therefore you need to go through the signup process and set up the new email address from scratch.

That being said, there's no need to do so. You don't gain any functionality or anything; the service you receive is exactly the same regardless of the address.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just opened another @hotmail.com address in Outlook, all BS about not being able to do this. Please do NOT write Fake things about Hotmail and Outlook.

Thank you.

Win ????

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Kan Win said:

I just opened another @hotmail.com address in Outlook, all BS about not being able to do this. Please do NOT write Fake things about Hotmail and Outlook.

Thank you.

Win ????

Your right. never noticed before that they now have a drop down to open a new @hotmail instead of @outlook account. Importantly however it doesn't change the Op's issue.

Thanks for pointing it out.,

• Thanks 1