Its Official: west is boring

Sparktrader

Big bands played big and small venues. A quick search will see Nirvana played at small places too such as the Coogee Bay Hotel. I saw Prince at a relatively small venue in the early nineties the night after he played a huge concert hall.

Australia or Melbourne in my case had a fun party in pub culture in my teen days of the 80's. So many good local bands playing in so many pubs with sticky carpet. International bands like New Order and Echo and the Bunnymen in their early days playing smaller gigs. I missed Souixsie and the Banshees but friend said it was the best. See Violent Femmes then they come back to my girlfriends house probably trying to <deleted> her friends.  

So many parties in old ungentrified mansions, rented by students, and in old factories. Property prices took off and the houses got renovated, pubs became pokie venues, then knocked down to become huge ugly apartment blocks. Live music and that easy inner city life had its day. Hard for new bands. 

So I am but a loud American, with an uber loud Thai wife tourist and we did an Australian vacation about 10 years ago. 

I have to say of all the cities we visited I loved Perth the most.

Not the biggest, not the noisiest, but by far the nicest.