Its Official: west is boring

Sparktrader

20 hours ago, Denim said:

Tell me about it. Going stir crazy here. Worst rainy season I can ever remember. Relentless. Got an unplanned swimming pool in the back garden and lawn totally ruined. Mouth of our soi now has a fast flowing river across it as water runs off the nearby ridge. Even as I type this coming down in buckets. Dogs covered in mud and have spread that around the front balcony. At least the humidity means wife is going around the house in her undies all day but even that gets boring after a while.

Leave articles about the benefits of nudity lying around. That might relieve your boredom.

Think how all-consumingly interesting the most boring place in the west would be to a tire repair shop employee in Ubon.

Thailand is interesting to us because:

-we have money to entertain ourselves (even if only with booze)

-it's cheap and comfortable (for us, not them)

-we can leave whenever we want to and we have the middle class conceit of travel as interesting and educational (they don't).

7 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Think how all-consumingly interesting the most boring place in the west would be to a tire repair shop employee in Ubon.

Thailand is interesting to us because:

-we have money to entertain ourselves (even if only with booze)

-it's cheap and comfortable (for us, not them)

-we can leave whenever we want to and we have the middle class conceit of travel as interesting and educational (they don't).

I see lots of happy Thais. Food is great. 7/11s are great.

West has no culture. Ruined by pc <deleted>.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Can't fault it, but happy families, nice 7/11's, the same dozen dishes (if you're lucky) for the rest of your life is a little......boring.

I have a full 6 foot high bookcase full of SEA titles, and lot of it is Issan related. It's interesting to me, but for most people, Thai knowledge begins and ends with Leonardo Di Caprio on The Beach.

If you didn't have a shot with the women, you'd be on Kuta Beach with the rest of your nation. Your take on Thailand is very passionate, but pretty superficial. No crime in that.

You're not here for spiritual enlightenment and cultural awareness, you're here for friction.

If it were PC up the wazoo and still offering that at steeply discounted prices, you'd still be swimming through flames to get here.

6 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Can't fault it, but happy families, nice 7/11's, the same dozen dishes (if you're lucky) for the rest of your life is a little......boring.

I have a full 6 foot high bookcase full of SEA titles, and lot of it is Issan related. It's interesting to me, but for most people, Thai knowledge begins and ends with Leonardo Di Caprio on The Beach.

If you didn't have a shot with the women, you'd be on Kuta Beach with the rest of your nation. Your take on Thailand is very passionate, but pretty superficial. No crime in that.

You're not here for spiritual enlightenment and cultural awareness, you're here for friction.

If it were PC up the wazoo and still offering that at steeply discounted prices, you'd still be swimming through flames to get here.

What are you talking about?

What language is this?

5 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I......I...... don' unnerstannnnnd is the dopey feint of internet passive agressive saddo's the world over. 

Short version: the west aint dull, you just don't like the pickings there. It's not the place, it's you.

Why you in Bangkok then? 555555

Because Bangkok is the least boring part of Thailand. I will put up with more traffic to get less boredom. I want to visit places like Mae Hong Song for a few days, and then I want to go back to a place with a real sushi bar. I want to eat tricked up fusion-food and go to art galleries.

Incredible as it may seem, I want different things than you do, like the Pattaya gym guy does too, even tho he likes the most boring band in indie-dom. When the logo is better than the band, you might just be an indie fan.

As a self-help reader, you must know that boredom is the fault of the bored, not the supposedly. boring environment. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Because Bangkok is the least boring part of Thailand. I will put up with more traffic to get less boredom. I want to visit places like Mae Hong Song for a few days, and then I want to go back to a place with a real sushi bar. I want to eat tricked up fusion-food and go to art galleries.

Incredible as it may seem, I want different things than you do, like the Pattaya gym guy does too, even tho he likes the most boring band in indie-dom. When the logo is better than the band, you might just be an indie fan.

As a self-help reader, you must know that boredom is the fault of the bored, not the supposedly. boring environment. 

You sound more bored than me. 

3 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

want to visit places like Mae Hong Song for a few days, and then I want to go back

Mhs is a small town

Hire a car and visit caves, waterfalls etc

Drive to Mae Sariang. Train to Phitsanulok.

75% of the fun is in the getting there.

What have you done in Bkk? Boats, trains, skytrain , taxis, tuk tuks.

Thats where the fun is.

You could read a book and lift weights at home.

I've been here 20+ times, and have done your full list and written a book about the folk art.

And yet, I still want to eat at an izakaya, just because that's a great thing to do. Even though it's not strictly Thai. It's another great thing available here at a fraction of the NYC price. It's OK to come here for women, but not for dinner?

Why do I sound bored? I'm saying I want to go out and do stuff. You're the one who's replicating the same day over and over again in Ubon and Udon and whatever the next U-one is.

You want to live here like I do, right? What will make that non-boring for you? The endless revelations that accrue from conversations with low education, poor people? I just left Appalachia; I've had enough of those to take me to the grave.

Off to lunch. Gonna have Chinese. Spare me the 'you're not China' lecture. We have google maps on the phone if we get confused.

4 hours ago, LaosLover said:

I......I...... don' unnerstannnnnd is the dopey feint of internet passive agressive saddo's the world over. 

Short version: the west aint dull, you just don't like the pickings there. It's not the place, it's you.

I can go with that, anyplace I go is only boring if I let it be be, worked and lived in the west for years, boring was a very limited experience, although can't pretend every day was full of excitement, had no repetitive tasks, but boredom very seldom 

I make videos for YouTube, have raunchy conversations with the massage ladies, swan around on my scooter, invent new dishes, exercise and play golf. Read books, watch Netflix. Post on ASEAN.

IMO boredom is self-inflicted, and demonstrates a lack of initiative.

The west boring? Hang around for a couple of months. Especially in Europe. Recession coming, Ukraine conflict swapping over to "mainland Europe" (one way or the other). This in combination with a harsh winter will eliminate any feelings of boredom.

Countries and societies, where "survival of the fittest" has become the norm will not allow for boredom anymore. Quite the opposite: We would be living "in highly interesting times".

A case in point: Nobody would oppose the fact, that Germany is a so called "rich" country. (Export champion, Europes economic locomotive etc etc).

But it is this very (rich) country where governement programs must be implemented so that 1/4 of the population will be able to heat AND eat in the coming winter. How will the "poorer" European countries fare, I wonder.

Bored in Europe? Be careful what you wish for.

6 minutes ago, swissie said:

The west boring? Hang around for a couple of months. Especially in Europe. Recession coming, Ukraine conflict swapping over to "mainland Europe" (one way or the other). This in combination with a harsh winter will eliminate any feelings of boredom.

Countries and societies, where "survival of the fittest" has become the norm will not allow for boredom anymore. Quite the opposite: We would be living "in highly interesting times".

A case in point: Nobody would oppose the fact, that Germany is a so called "rich" country. (Export champion, Europes economic locomotive etc etc).

But it is this very (rich) country where governement programs must be implemented so that 1/4 of the population will be able to heat AND eat in the coming winter. How will the "poorer" European countries fare, I wonder.

Bored in Europe? Be careful what you wish for.

Europe has culture

I agree. Even with the culture I like to take advantage of in California (museums, live jazz, theater, ballet, stand up comedy) it is still boring. After just 3 weeks I can't wait to get back to Planet Thailandia. People here are so much more playful. Not to mention the gals. I find the west stifling.

Edited by spidermike007