Its Official: west is boring

Sparktrader

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sorry, but if your standard of beauty is Rachael Hunter, then IMO you have low standards. I never got why men fall for women like her other than having big boobs and not actually ugly. I've seen more beautiful women in a Bkk skytrain station.

Kept the boredom away in the west which it would appear others struggle to avoid 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Kept the boredom away in the west which it would appear others struggle to avoid 

Yes, I lived closer to larger metro areas, so never bored in the west/USA.

Except when living in West Virginia, though living rural and mountains was a pleasant change from Philly metro suburbs.  Good for a year of exploring, then got a bit boring.

It's a bit slow here/PKK, and why we are O&A so much, if only for day trips.  Not buying processed for and cooking most things from scratch fills in a lot of time, and actually enjoy it.

On 9/27/2022 at 5:41 AM, LaosLover said:

Because Bangkok is the least boring part of Thailand. I will put up with more traffic to get less boredom. I want to visit places like Mae Hong Song for a few days, and then I want to go back to a place with a real sushi bar. I want to eat tricked up fusion-food and go to art galleries.

Incredible as it may seem, I want different things than you do, like the Pattaya gym guy does too, even tho he likes the most boring band in indie-dom. When the logo is better than the band, you might just be an indie fan.

As a self-help reader, you must know that boredom is the fault of the bored, not the supposedly. boring environment. 

I like your style.

In my view, life is about two things:  challenges and experience. To enjoy both, one needs variety.

Some folks are perfectly content to live a rural Isaan life, where there is a constancy and consistency, and where change doesn't disrupt one's idea of what is comfortable and normal. For such folks, more power to them.

Before the neurons stop firing, and this sentient pile of dust becomes a non-sentient pile of dust, I like to take on as many challenges and enjoy the widest variety of experience possible. Currently living and owning a business is Thailand is giving me that challenge and experience, just as living and working in other countries did it for me in the past. Just about anyplace can provide those two things (challenge and experience). While currently it's Thailand, it could also be the West. It's up to me---my curiosity and my passion---to make wherever I am NOT boring.

One's person's happiness is consistency. Another's is variety. To each his own.

18 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

People confuse over-familiarity with boredom.

I'm in Siem Reap, enjoying a typical buffet breakfast spread. They're often very similar. I am again very unsurprised to see a toast convey belt. I am not bored by toast.

Two good posts above W88 and LL 

Experiences and challenges, yep good points to alleviate boredom 

The every day life in Issan for those of us who navigate the farming smallholding path,  indeed throws up daily challenges, none moreso than the current wet spell ????

Familiarity, yes annual/daily tasks which bring their own challenges, successfully growing rice, raising cattle each demanding attention to bring to fruition 

Throw in the ups and downs of Thai family life 

Never boring ????

Edited by 473geo

Any proper Buddhist wandering by would point out that the feeling states come and go and you shouldn't over-invest in any of them.

I was a bit bored today slogging through reading about England's financial problems, but then less so, and then more so, as I read the article. It comes and goes. All of the time.

I am soon out in a car all day looking at Angkor Wat. Some of that time, I will be bored, yes, even while exploring a true wonder of the world.

It's just no biggie. I don't blame myself, and I certainly don't fault Angkor Wat -or "The West" for that matter.

As an adult, not an adult child, I accept that I will not be maximally entertained during every waking moment.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Two good posts above W88 and LL 

Experiences and challenges, yep good points to alleviate boredom 

The every day life in Issan for those of us who navigate the farming smallholding path,  indeed throws up daily challenges, none moreso than the current wet spell ????

Familiarity, yes annual/daily tasks which bring their own challenges, successfully growing rice, raising cattle each demanding attention never boring 

Throw in the ups and downs of Thai family life 

Never boring ????

Farming is certainly never boring, but I gave it up as 84 hour weeks for a pittance was obviously a dead end career. Joined the military and acquired a trade qualification and a thirst for travel- that was really not boring. Became a nurse for a change of occupation and also traveled the world ( due to worldwide shortage of nurses can get a job almost anywhere )- definitely not boring.

Retired and spent half my time in LOS and half in home country- not boring at all.

Nowadays it isn't really boring, as I have loads of things I could do, but I think my problem is that I can't afford to travel anymore, and that was the thing that I most looked forward to. Planning my next trip, preparing things like visas/ insurance etc occupied my time between trips. All that is gone, so life seems pallid by comparison.

Oh well, such is life.

17 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I have never met or even seen a 10. Since that represents utter perfection for me, I have never used it. I use a true Olympic scale. The hottest woman I ever spent time with was a 9.25. And she was French. Met her on vacation in Bali when I was quite young. Never even seen a 10. I doubt if that level of perfection even exists.

Dated alot of 8's and a couple of 8.5's in NY back in the day. I hear that term 10 used alot. It is the pinnacle and a number not to be used lightly. This is a serious thing. 

LOL. 

This is my version of an 8.75

17945102078_94bbc02732_b.jpg

I'd rate that as a 7 ......... nice legs, shame about the boat race!

31 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Any proper Buddhist wandering by would point out that the feeling states come and go and you shouldn't over-invest in any of them.

I was a bit bored today slogging through reading about England's financial problems, but then less so, and then more so, as I read the article. It comes and goes. All of the time.

I am soon out in a car all day looking at Angkor Wat. Some of that time, I will be bored, yes, even while exploring a true wonder of the world.

It's just no biggie. I don't blame myself, and I certainly don't fault Angkor Wat -or "The West" for that matter.

As an adult, not an adult child, I accept that I will not be maximally entertained during every waking moment.

Should take a tuk-tuk.......enhances the 'feeling states'........ ambience is intangible, yet very real - I rarely get that in a car.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Loads of 10s on the internet, but are they actual real people or products of Photoshop?

I once remarked to a guy that I'd never known a 10, to which he took offense, claiming that "all women are beautiful". I hadn't realised he was a plonker before talking to him, but I've done my best to avoid PC woke people since.

Only a "very well trained man" would utter such a spectacularly ignorant statement, as what that guy said. Sounds like it came out of an "all women are goddesses"  feminist college textbook. So PC. So weak. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'd rate that as a 7 ......... nice legs, shame about the boat race!

I think that you are being unusually naïve by setting your score just from a photograph  -  I accept that is a bit of a game, set by someone else.

OK, playing under those rules, on appearance, I would give a 7. On appearance she would be a target barfine in most of the bars that I occasionally frequent. In fact the biggest mistakes that I have made is to choose what looked like a 9 or a 10.....they were the starfish and loved themselves too much.

That 7 could become a 10 (or a 4) before the night was out  -  and certainly before sunrise.

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I can do a photo of the first Thai lady I lived with for a year Vs my former UK wife I lived with for 30 years. Both photos taken when I was in my early 50s and representative of the way they really looked, 6 month gap between living with one then living with the other. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven, was already  living with the Thai lady when my divorce came through..

I'll leave you to rate them!

comparison.jpg

I can give honest scores if no offense

One is 7x better

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If I only learned one thing in my life, it's that attractive people are often messed up mentally. Perhaps because of all the fawning attention they get from a young age. Far as beautiful women are concerned, I apply the Playboy philosophy of "look, but don't touch".

God gives you 1 out of 2

Looks or brains

On 9/29/2022 at 3:18 PM, spidermike007 said:

Only a "very well trained man" would utter such a spectacularly ignorant statement, as what that guy said. Sounds like it came out of an "all women are goddesses"  feminist college textbook. So PC. So weak. 

Agree.

I thought of the appropriate response years later which would be " yes, all women are beautiful just as all men are handsome", but I doubt he'd have been happy with that.

However, on a purely physical basis, I have met a woman that was so beautiful and so sexy and so amazing in bed that I'd have been her slave for life had things worked out. Sadly, she was the only one ever in my life.

Back when I was a lot younger, us lads had a saying that "she is so beautiful that I'd crawl across broken glass to kiss her feet".

Happy days back then before reality set in and I became cynical.

50 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agree.

I thought of the appropriate response years later which would be " yes, all women are beautiful just as all men are handsome", but I doubt he'd have been happy with that.

However, on a purely physical basis, I have met a woman that was so beautiful and so sexy and so amazing in bed that I'd have been her slave for life had things worked out. Sadly, she was the only one ever in my life.

Back when I was a lot younger, us lads had a saying that "she is so beautiful that I'd crawl across broken glass to kiss her feet".

Happy days back then before reality set in and I became cynical.

Reality can be cruel. The fact is kingdoms have been won and lost over lesser women! Men can be easily swayed by beauty. Some men. It has little effect on Bond types. 

• Thumbs Up 1

There seems to me an underlying thread, boredom equates to not having sex.

Now I'm a boring fella, been with my wife 20+ years, we've lived in several countries along the way, but my ability to have sex never really factored in to whether I was bored or not.

I met my wife in Singapore and thats a great place, but after a few years I got bored with that, it's a small island.

Moved to Thailand, against my wife's better judgement, and I got bored after seeing every temple known to man, and discovered as predicted by my all knowing wife, that not working in retirement drove me crazy.

Curiously I was having sex all the time, and my boredom wasn't in the slightest connected to my sex life, which for some on here it seems it is!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

There seems to me an underlying thread, boredom equates to not having sex.

Now I'm a boring fella, been with my wife 20+ years, we've lived in several countries along the way, but my ability to have sex never really factored in to whether I was bored or not.

I met my wife in Singapore and thats a great place, but after a few years I got bored with that, it's a small island.

Moved to Thailand, against my wife's better judgement, and I got bored after seeing every temple known to man, and discovered as predicted by my all knowing wife, that not working in retirement drove me crazy.

Curiously I was having sex all the time, and my boredom wasn't in the slightest connected to my sex life, which for some on here it seems it is!

I am getting the same impression was about to suggest these bored in the west people have a day at the races, go to the theatre, a couple of airshows, see a couple of bands, all possible and enjoyable ????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 473geo said:

I am getting the same impression was about to suggest these bored in the west people have a day at the races, go to the theatre, a couple of airshows, see a couple of bands, all possible and enjoyable ????

Races ok

Theatre left wing

Bands ok but not common

R u Aussie? Most pubs r just pokies not bands

There is no culture left

3 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Not true. 70s and 80s live bands were epic - acdc, angels, oils, inxs even Nirvana 1991 in a small pub.

Post 1995 just rubbish.

Nice golf courses, surf thats it now.

Did you go and see Nirvana in a small pub ?

Oh, you were talking about Indie bands 

Did you go and see Nirvana in a small pub ?

Edited by Mac Mickmanus

30 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Races ok

Theatre left wing

Bands ok but not common

R u Aussie? Most pubs r just pokies not bands

There is no culture left

this. and they'll kick you out of a pub as soon as look at you because of RSA laws. Responsible Service of A**holes ????

plus everything is so expensive it's beyond a joke. add in the general me first attitude of Aussies/Westerners and it all adds up to a very 'mai sanuk' experience. 

you want to drink in the Sydney CBD or the Cross? good 'ken luck boys, better take out a second mortgage. and that's just for the bog-standard rubbish like Carlton Draught, New, VB and that 'Reeshes' swill. craft beer? better rob a bank first.

you want to take a taxi from CBD to the Cross. if you can find one then it'll probably be twenty bucks. then another hundred to get home to you gang-infested ghetto out in the burbs. I'm looking at you Bankstown!

so yeah, give me Thailand with all its 'flaws' over that wasteland any old day of the week.

• Thumbs Up 1