How will life in Thailand change when the COVID state of emergency ends this month?

webfact

3 hours ago, KhonKaenLive said:

It's been normal for me since they dropped the mask mandate. Just hope it goes for the kids too. Masks in school is stupid. 

Yup, parents at the school where I teach still insist everyone wear a mask. Easily 10% of my students in every class ignore the mask. Go figure.

5 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

For those of us living in Thailand I think it’s pretty meaningless. (My) life is as normal as it was before. For Thai people generally on a day to day basis I don’t see how things will change much either.

"(My) life is as normal as it was before." True, apart from the mask wearing. Oh! One more thing. Will all the public swimming pools be opened?

Maybe a bit off topic, but when I was in the UK recently for three months, the swimming pools were all closed the full time, and probably still are, yet everyone was saying that everything is back to normal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thailand49 said:

????

Pshycology, these are people who don't like to be told what to do but have no problem telling othersbecause they like to be in control. 

I just came back from the West Coast, after two plus years due to the virus. I wore my mask regularly just like in Thailand, I was thinking prepared if someone approach me as to my right of choice but no one did.  I notice a lot of people still did their choice and that is the way it should be. 

What you don't see is people harping on why people don't? ????

Which west coast is that? Do all country's not have a west coast?

3 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

High inflation and massive uncertainty about the future financially is exactly why Thailand can kiss large numbers of long haul visitors goodbye for the foreseeable future. Westerners are infinitely more concerned with keeping food on the table and keeping warm this winter than buying seats to Thailand or anywhere else. Any smart person would be saving as much as they can, if they can, as a cushion against what the future holds. Despite what TAT might think, visiting Thailand is not the number one aim of foreigners at the moment. Having enough to eat is. Keeping warm at home is.

This will definitely be the situation in the UK, I experienced it personally in June and July. I sure pity the average person especially the older people in the UK when winter really steps in, though I don't know about other western countries.

NOTHING will change, at least in daily life. After all Thailand has a moron health minister, who seriously praises their citizens after 2.5 years that they are still wearing mask outdoors!!

After all they got what they wanted.. keep the state of emergency until the majority of thai people loose their interest in protests and demonstrations.

Edited by SpanishExpat

2 hours ago, Harveyboy said:

yes dropped the need for masks but if i go out without one ..im the only one ..shops..markets ..schools its as if covid is still at its peak ..i feel i need to wear one just to blend in ...

24 minutes ago, Spamhead said:

No !

Geography is not my strong point, but you get my drift.

I will be curious to see how voraciously the populace will want to express their extreme dissatisfaction with the so called leadership here. These guys are despised like never before. Now that criticism and protests will be legal again, I expect alot of demonstrations. Will be interesting to see how the goons will try to muzzle that, censor the media, etc. Of course if they had a free and fair election, all of this would be irrelevant. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

This will definitely be the situation in the UK, I experienced it personally in June and July. I sure pity the average person especially the older people in the UK when winter really steps in, though I don't know about other western countries.

I'm a Brit and would definitely not want to be there now. Except for the pubs. I miss the beer selection.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, sandrew33 said:

Hopefully it reduces the absurd level of pointless mask wearing. Was quite jarring to e see folk wearing pointless cloth & surgical masks even outdoors en masse in BKK just a couple of weeks ago. 

For those of us currently living elsewhere it is quite odd. 

Thais have been wearing masks for as long as I have been in Thailand (12 years). They wear them for air pollution and when the cold season starts.

As to kids wearing them in schools.  I have seen this past few months students that have covid still attending class one school had to shut down because there were so many students with covid.

I think schools will keep the mandate for a while longer.  Until there rate of covid in students drops.  The same as they did when the flu was going around.

Thais will continue to wear masks for the foreseeable future just as possible protection against anyone that has a cold, or anything that is airborne.  Especially if they take the BTS where people can be crammed in.

As to changes in Thailand, the biggest change will be the ability for Thais to protest and meet in groups.

besides that nothing

Always interesting to hear the immigrant armchair warriors wax lyrical about why Thailand is so bad at everything.

While I don’t pretend to be a scientist, most scientists and health practitioners were extolling the virtue of wearing masks, washing hands and distancing. Anyone who says they weren’t doesn’t read the NHS or CDC websites.

Then the aseannow.com crows boasted about how they don’t wear masks because they know better than Thais - and I thought, how have the westerners handled the pandemic compared to Thais? They must have done better than little Thailand surely?

So, I thought let’s look at the Covid deaths per million. This will prove that some westerners know more than Thais when it comes to preventing the spread of Covid and justify their sarcasm. I picked two heroic countries that seem to know everything.

Deaths per million

3,231 USA

2,773 UK

467 Thailand 

Oops.

Now, I know that masks are not the only preventative action for slowing Covid but we are looking at how good westerners are at doing the right thing compared to Thais. This would ensure their criticism of Thailand has a foundation.

There must be something they know that Thais don’t.

Yet it seems they are terrible at dealing with the issue compared to Thais. Who would have thought it?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Always interesting to hear the immigrant armchair warriors wax lyrical about why Thailand is so bad at everything.

While I don’t pretend to be a scientist, most scientists and health practitioners were extolling the virtue of wearing masks, washing hands and distancing. Anyone who says they weren’t doesn’t read the NHS or CDC websites.

Then the aseannow.com crows boasted about how they don’t wear masks because they know better than Thais - and I thought, how have the westerners handled the pandemic compared to Thais? They must have done better than little Thailand surely?

So, I thought let’s look at the Covid deaths per million. This will prove that some westerners know more than Thais when it comes to preventing the spread of Covid and justify their sarcasm. I picked two heroic countries that seem to know everything.

Deaths per million

3,231 USA

2,773 UK

467 Thailand 

Oops.

Now, I know that masks are not the only preventative action for slowing Covid but we are looking at how good westerners are at doing the right thing compared to Thais. This would ensure their criticism of Thailand has a foundation.

Yet it seems they are terrible at dealing with the issue compared to Thais. Who would have thought it?

A flawed pro-mask argument based on flawed data. Even the Thais don't trust their own covid numbers, they might of well originated from the TAT - do you also believe we are going to attract 14 billion visitors this year (use the world population estimates to help you on this one)...

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, mberbae said:

For the poster who said masks in school are stupid.

Our school in San Kampaeng  had to close 3

times due to students catching Covid. Masks played

an important role in not having MORE kids exposed.

In previous years it was called flu and schools did not close because of it (most of the times). It is called "training the immunity".

• Like 1

Covid/SoE, hasn't affected us at all, with exception to wearing a mask (nose exposed) at chain vendors & malls in the past.

Already stopped wearing to Makro or 7-11.  SoE hasn't stopped us from anything.  Went O&A from day 1 of, to all parts of the country, in 2020/21/22.

Lost a bit of respect for the intelligence of locals & expats that bought into the silliness, and prefer to live in fear, IMHO

But that's about it.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Deaths per million

3,231 USA

2,773 UK

467 Thailand 

Oops.

What you may not know is that hospitals in the USA were given government funding to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars (about 50k, I understand) for EACH covid diagnosis.  For this reason, the numbers were, of course, inflated--including a few cases that hit the public eye like the miscarried fetus said to have died of covid.  Dr. Fauci was very influential in America.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, thailand49 said:

What you don't see is people harping on why people don't? ????

Don't read the forum much do you.  We've been called 'murdering scum', more than a few times.  'My body, my choice' goes over a few folks' head on the forum.

• Like 1