Tops Club

Celsius

15 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Sounds like Tops is only in Bangkok mainly.  

There are stuff at Makro I like the wife seem to like it more but based on overall price if I had to pay for a membership based of any kind to shop there vs overall priced it is bye bye.  

This would be the same if they had a Tops in Pattaya although I think competition is good but here with this government I'm not sleeping on it much. 

I would reserve use a one day pass to check it out?

Here in Pattaya TOPS is linked to the Central "The 1" scheme. If you exceed a turnover of 250KTHB per year (for all shops in Central Festival including TOPS) then you get certain discounts and as well a special parking which comes handy on weekends when the parking house is completely overrun by cars.

In my opinion Makro and Tops are aimed at a totally different customer. Makro is more then a cash&carry aimed at restaurant owners which need large volumes of something and is rather on the cheap side. Tops on the other hand is more like Villa Market with focus on rare imported and expensive merchandise.

Never heard of a Tops club here.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Brand new to Thailand, first one opened in Bangkok, if successful they will spread out. Will be interesting to see what other items they will carry such as actual meat, fruit, vegies and frozen items.

15 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It's also a bit confusing, because the Post article talks about there being a "free" basic membership, and then the 799/999b per year premium membership. The article says the premium membership includes a 5% shopping discount and free delivery in BKK and surrounding areas thru 2023.

Suspect that is true - payment is for discount and free delivery.  They started a 99 baht a month for unlimited free delivery here in Bangkok a few months ago from normal Tops stores (which I have found very useful and order several times a week for delivery in an hour or two).  This when Lotus restricted MC delivery to local stores having no stock (at least on my one try 4 of the 6 items ordered, and listed as in stock, were not).

2 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

This is not a Top's but a Top's CLUB.  Same as a COSTCO, SAM's Club, S&R, many products from outside of Thailand.  Bulk items which if you have pantry storage space for is good. Between this and shopping at Makro we only need to shop now once every two months, except for fresh fruit and vegetables which we buy as needed.  I became used to shopping this way when working as I was only paid once a month, so I would stock up on the cleaning supplies, and meats such as Chicken, Pork, Fish etc... would fill the freezer as much as possible to last, as well as buying the snacks to fill the lunch bags for the kids.  Of course I have no kids at home regularly now here in Thailand except for the GF's daughter who comes and stays, but boy does she power through the snacks, and still is skinny as a rail. 

One think I like is buying the coffee in bulk so it lasts for a month and not having to buy the small bags of beans sold in markets here every week.

I fully understand your comments that it is like a Costco,  it doesn't exist here in Pattaya only Makro. 

I'm the opposite the wife handles the meat and Veggie. I shop for everything else during my spare time or break no different from back home I go out walk through different stores Lotus,  Big C, Makro,  check the prices as noted Makro has some bulk items that I like particularly cleaning stuff but I see nothing special if I had to pay a membership I would pass. 

I find what I need most of the time walking around buying from Lotus I think they have some great deals for my personal needs than Makro. I end up stocking the house for the family a bit at s time. 

I also use the shopping excuse to do MINE thing if you know what I mean ????

Back of our house is like a giant pantry but like home Costco has some nice things for the price Large volume items but one day I noticed Targets after changing their business plan was even better than Costco for most home needs 

2 hours ago, moogradod said:

Here in Pattaya TOPS is linked to the Central "The 1" scheme. If you exceed a turnover of 250KTHB per year (for all shops in Central Festival including TOPS) then you get certain discounts and as well a special parking which comes handy on weekends when the parking house is completely overrun by cars.

In my opinion Makro and Tops are aimed at a totally different customer. Makro is more then a cash&carry aimed at restaurant owners which need large volumes of something and is rather on the cheap side. Tops on the other hand is more like Villa Market with focus on rare imported and expensive merchandise.

Agree I could never understand these discount cards I do have a 1 card buy small stuff at their market to me much better than Villa. 

With Big C even Lotus under my wife name I must have millions of points?

Big C, unless with wife I tell them no card,  once  they told me I get 80 baht because under wife told me to go counter show passport she held up line 5 minutes I realized went back told her forget it 80baht I got no time for all this stuff,  Im no cheap Charlie,  handsome man,  time is money I got happy ending down the road ????

18 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

They're NUTS if they think I'm gonna cough up 800 or 1000 baht per year for the privilege of being able to buy some packages of Kirkland roasted nuts from the U.S.... 

They're gonna have to do a lot better than just that!  ????

I used to love shopping at (membership warehouse store) Costco in the U.S., because they had loads of stuff I wanted to buy.... at good prices...and often things not found in the regular supermarkets.

It remains to be seen whether Tops Club is gonna come anywhere close to that....

On the basis of the stock shown in their Android app one day before their official opening, they're a NO for me, right now.

You can simply buy the Kirkland Nuts in their regular Tops.

3 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

You can simply buy the Kirkland Nuts in their regular Tops.

Nuts.

All I need is:

1. Fresh pressed pasteurized yellow and red orange juice without added sugar, like the ANDROS Brand from France

2. Apple juice fresh, but filtered, AND NOT TOO SWEET, something like Gravensteiner

3. Vanilla Sugar

4. Yeast, fresh (not dried)

5. Italian cooked ham (they make the best)

6. Big, BLACK juicy (not red) Cherries

7. Peaches if posssible in its yellow and white variety - BIG and JUICY

None of these is available anywhere I know in the quaility I would like to see with the exeption of 5 which is sold out within miniues it seems. I would be a regular customer for all of it.

Does Costco in the US carry electronics like TVs and Appliance too? from the picture in social media so far Tops Club doesn't appear to have the electronics section

Central group's Powerbuy price for electronic are all over the place, Powerbuy in Central department store is one price, then it might be cheaper at their stand alone stores or the ones that used to be in Homeworks/Baan&Beyond don't know it there's any left... If they have discount on electronics too that'd make the membership price worth considering

The first few weekend's probably gonna be crowded 

4 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Does Costco in the US carry electronics like TVs and Appliance too?

This is not a Costco from my reading - it is an independent start of a new chain by Central.  They mentioned some brand items from Costco - not that is was a Costco.  Costco has no operation in Thailand or Viet Nam per Weki.

41 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Does Costco in the US carry electronics like TVs and Appliance too? from the picture in social media so far Tops Club doesn't appear to have the electronics section

Central group's Powerbuy price for electronic are all over the place, Powerbuy in Central department store is one price, then it might be cheaper at their stand alone stores or the ones that used to be in Homeworks/Baan&Beyond don't know it there's any left... If they have discount on electronics too that'd make the membership price worth considering

The first few weekend's probably gonna be crowded 

Typically electronics are never a good buy at Costco/Makro or anything like them.

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Typically electronics are never a good buy at Costco/Makro or anything like them.

BigC price is quite competitive if they have sales on TVs,

appliance like fans and washing machine looks like they cost the same everywhere BigC, Makro and Lotus, at Makro you can't use credit card so no cashback from your bank.... 

22 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Just what I've been waiting to find....in all my years in Thailand. Thank you, Tops Club!  ????   About 7000 baht, if memory serves.

Screenshot_2.jpg.42def08f22b2d69319cff470f3f382fa.jpg

• Haha 1

Interesting, hour-long video tour of the place here on YT... Seems to give you a pretty good idea of the range of things they are selling there.

It does LOOK a lot like a Costco on the inside, from what I'm seeing in the video... But prices and selection are a different matter.

The fresh and frozen food part of the video seems to start at about the 44 minute mark... and I spotted some Kirkland (Costco brand) frozen ground sirloin patties in the freezer case along the way.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

21 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Interesting, hour-long video tour of the place here on YT... Seems to give you a pretty good idea of the range of things they are selling there.

It does LOOK a lot like a Costco on the inside, from what I'm seeing in the video... But prices and selection are a different matter.

Yes Sir, it looks just like the inside of a Costco in the US.  The veggie and fruit room looks exactly the same.  Yes prices are a bit higher as you can see, but then you are paying for imported items, just like you do elsewhere.

16 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Yes Sir, it looks just like the inside of a Costco in the US.  The veggie and fruit room looks exactly the same.  Yes prices are a bit higher as you can see, but then you are paying for imported items, just like you do elsewhere.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but as best as I can tell, in picking Central Rama II as the location for their first Tops Club warehouse, they've picked a location with absolutely no good or close connection to BKK's rail mass transit system.

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Correct me if I'm wrong...but as best as I can tell, in picking Central Rama II as the location for their first Tops Club warehouse, they've picked a location with absolutely no good or close connection to BKK's rail mass transit system.

It does look like that, and quite possibly because when buying so many bulk items you will need a taxi or your own vehicle to transport it all home.  We will go this afternoon and take a look at the meat section and see exactly the quality by viewing it.  The Kitchen in the new house will definitely have the pantry stocked up with all of the cooking needs such as spices and so on.  I will report back tonight, because if it all looks good, I will load up one of my large ice chests so I can fill the freezer down in HH PKK.

I am sure the prices may send people away but if you have quality products and things I used to buy in the States then I will spend the price to make life comfortable with a product I liked and have not found here.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

They seem to be on an established Central complex - Big Box stores have parking lots in my experience here - as stated this is designed for the have generation; not the bus/train travelers. ????  I gave up on Marko after several tries as they did not even have taxi service available - if you are not adding to the driving problems you seem unwelcome at many locations these days.  

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

I predict they are going to either go out of business or have to adjust to a local market. A lot of Thais came with fancy cars and were leaving with noodles and coke.

Prices are exactly the same as their tops stores which completely negates the point of having a CLUB store. What Thai person is going to pay a membership fee to get a 5% discount? Most of their "imported" non frozen items are on Lazada 30% cheaper. Thais are not stupid shoppers especially now that they are squeezed for money.

The foreign management yesterday was completely clueless as to how to adjust to Thai market. I heard them the way they talk to a Thai staff.

FAIL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, proton said:

They built this monstrocity on the park behind central and ruined what was a rare public space around there. Can't see any reason to go in there instead of Tops across in central, has that horrible warehouse look.

Do you ever have anything positive to say. I guess if it was Chinese owned you would be bashing it further.