Tops Club

Celsius

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Correct me if I'm wrong...but as best as I can tell, in picking Central Rama II as the location for their first Tops Club warehouse, they've picked a location with absolutely no good or close connection to BKK's rail mass transit system.

Main road connecting to tangduan as well as mini vans to many places at front of central. Stay away at weekends if going in a car, parking is a nightmare.

Edited by proton

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Do you ever have anything positive to say. I guess if it was Chinese owned you would be bashing it further.

Yes, Tops at central Rama 2 is a great shop as they revamped it all this year, the booze is in it's own shop in there with an outstanding selection on everything. Good bakery and food hall as well, much better than Big C across the road, also renovated over the past 2 years. Tops have robots trundling around which I talk to when the Mrs is in a mood. Avoid Chinese produce of course, not much of it anyway. ???? Park destruction would not be allowed in many countries, here they love concreting over everything.

• Haha 1

FWIW, I went back to the Tops Club Android app yesterday figuring after they had officially opened, that its previously sparse inventory listing -- lacking all fresh food items -- might have been filled out.

Wrong!  As of yesterday, their Android app for ordering had zero fresh or frozen food items listed, no meats, no bakery, no veggies, no fruits, etc.

What's the point of offering "free delivery" to paying membership holders if you can't remotely order most of what they're selling?

On 9/29/2022 at 12:13 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Correct me if I'm wrong...but as best as I can tell, in picking Central Rama II as the location for their first Tops Club warehouse, they've picked a location with absolutely no good or close connection to BKK's rail mass transit system.

Proximity to local metro transportation does not seem that major a factor with some big box stores.  Ikea plopped it's first Bangkok location way out in Bang Na, 2nd location in Nontabury and while it is on a MRT line. not a very easy one for Bangkokians to use.  

I don't know how the "Greater Bangkok" area is defined but there is a vast population within a 20km radius of Bangkok owning a huge number of vehicles.  Retail developers seem to care more about parking accessibility then public transport access.

The huge cost of large tracks of land in Bangkok, especially if close to public transportation may also be a big factor.

On 9/27/2022 at 4:42 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

They're NUTS if they think I'm gonna cough up 800 or 1000 baht per year for the privilege of being able to buy some packages of Kirkland roasted nuts from the U.S.... 

They're gonna have to do a lot better than just that!  ????

I used to love shopping at (membership warehouse store) Costco in the U.S., because they had loads of stuff I wanted to buy.... at good prices...and often things not found in the regular supermarkets.

It remains to be seen whether Tops Club is gonna come anywhere close to that....

On the basis of the stock shown in their Android app one day before their official opening, they're a NO for me, right now.

I agree. I've found I can get some products cheaper on Lazada, no membership fees there.

I don't mind paying for a Netflix membership or a golf club, but when a food supermarket is charging for a membership and making an undisclosed profit on what they are selling, IMO that's getting pretty dumb.

• 11 months later...
1 minute ago, Celsius said:

Correct  closing for "renovations" because it is already so old.

That explains why Tops supermarket was selling Kirkland items at large discount recently - but then no stock at any price.  Suspect rebranding of Family Mart to Tops on top burner at this time.

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

That explains why Tops supermarket was selling Kirkland items at large discount recently

I noticed that as well... including them offering briefly via their standard Tops Online platform some various Kirkland (Costco U.S.) products that previously had only been offered via Tops Club.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

On 9/28/2022 at 8:58 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Just what I've been waiting to find....in all my years in Thailand. Thank you, Tops Club!  ????   About 7000 baht, if memory serves.

Screenshot_2.jpg.42def08f22b2d69319cff470f3f382fa.jpg

That thing is still there. I guess they couldn't cram it into one of their tops or central stores.

I hope someone pops it out of its misery.

• Haha 1

On 9/27/2022 at 8:53 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I seriously doubt the new Tops Club is going to come close to this...

But Thailand really needs a grocery warehouse with the breadth of a place like this in Vietnam, which is neither a Costco nor a Sam's Club, despite the title of the video....

Apparently, this one is something called MM Mega Market in VN.

https://mmvietnam.com/en/

Looks impressive, but my (limited) experience shows that Supermarkets and Vietnam in general do not really fit yet. The selection over there is terrible. Most shelfs are filled with the same product. This gives the impression of a large variety offered. But I would have difficulties to get the food I wanted would I be forced to cook myself. Reminds me of old pictures I have seen from East-Germany before the fall of the curtain.

I wish them good luck with their new concept. Urgently needed.

• Thanks 1