24 tonnes of pork smuggled from Brazil destroyed to prevent spread of swine flu in Thailand

webfact

image.jpeg

The Livestock Development Department buried about 24 tonnes of frozen pork, which originated in Brazil and was smuggled into Thailand from a neighboring country, at a landfill in Phayuha Khiri district of Nakhon Sawan province.

The pork was seized from a cold storage facility in Samut Prakan on September 11th. It was delivered by truck to the department’s quarantine zone in Phayuha Khiri district for destruction, to prevent the possible spread of African swine fever (ASF).

Officials from the department said that Brazil has no agreement for the export of pork to Thailand and it is a country in which ASF has been reported.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/24-tonnes-of-pork-smuggled-from-brazil-destroyed-to-prevent-spread-of-swine-flu-in-thailand/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-09-28

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

Quite frankly, I'd trust the Brazilian Pork over the Chinese Diseased carcases any day of the week..........methinks this was done because a brown envelope fell thru the crack, so they retaliated by saying it was smuggled..........article says there is no agreement between Brazil and Thailand to import pork................I saw a lot of Brazillian Beef in Top's and Central in my days................suspect, bvery suspect.  They could have turned it into dog food, once cooked well, no flu.   This was pure retaliatioin, nothing less.

Edited by TunnelRat69
  • Like 1

From a commercial point of view; I wonder how much cheaper the pork meat must have been in Brazil to send it across the Pacific via Singapore to a "neighbouring" country from where it got "smuggled" into Thailand to be sold at the local price levels. 

Taking the costs of a cool chain (freezing)  of sea freight container transport, little envelopes at the "neighbouring" country, smuggler reefer truck to Thailand ....... the mind boggles.

There's more to this story as well but in all fairness, who cares ............. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Bon appetite 😋

Much of the smuggled pork is believed to have come from ASF-infected animals, according to veterinarian Worawut Siripun, who also serves as deputy secretary-general of the SRAT.

A large proportion also arrived from countries that do not ban the use of leanness-enhancing agents, which can pose health risks for consumers.

Consumption of meat containing leanness-enhancing agents can cause dizziness, nausea, and peripheral weakness.

Screenshot_20240317_103643_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/28/2022 at 3:25 PM, Sydebolle said:

From a commercial point of view; I wonder how much cheaper the pork meat must have been in Brazil to send it across the Pacific via Singapore to a "neighbouring" country from where it got "smuggled" into Thailand to be sold at the local price levels. 

Taking the costs of a cool chain (freezing)  of sea freight container transport, little envelopes at the "neighbouring" country, smuggler reefer truck to Thailand ....... the mind boggles.

There's more to this story as well but in all fairness, who cares ............. 

I'd suspect the ex-works value of that pork may have been less than zero in Brazil.  For example, if it was condemned after inspection.  Probably easier and cheaper to stick it on one of those freezer ships to almost anywhere in Asia than to dispose of it legally in country.  And if they can sell it on...  Bonus!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, impulse said:

I'd suspect the ex-works value of that pork may have been less than zero in Brazil.  For example, if it was condemned after inspection.  Probably easier and cheaper to stick it on one of those freezer ships to almost anywhere in Asia than to dispose of it legally in country.  And if they can sell it on...  Bonus!

The scale of this operation is just mind-boggling. Possibly 10,000 shipping containers of Brazilian pork has entered the country.

This is too big to be smuggled by land from neighboring countries, it was shipped in.

25 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

The scale of this operation is just mind-boggling. Possibly 10,000 shipping containers of Brazilian pork has entered the country.

This is too big to be smuggled by land from neighboring countries, it was shipped in.

Unless I've missed something, I think your calculation is a bit off. 24 tonnes is 24,000kg. 1 cubic metre of pork weighs a little more than 1 cubic metre of water (1 tonne). So 24 tonnes would occupy the space of approx. 24+ cubic metres.- less than one 40' container.