Liz Truss’s premiership has got off to the worst start possible

Scott

13 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Plenty of buses available to Heathrow.

You can get a bicycle for a few quid from Ebay.

Or an electric bicycle/moped for a couple of hundred. I used to ride a 150 quid Moped from Bristol to Bath during Uni holidays to work on a building site as a Labourer. Nothing heroic about that, it's what normal people do if you really WANT to work. I also did Bristol to Weston Super Mare in a 300 quid Mini for 3 months during the summer break.

Alternatively you could just make up excuses for failure and laziness before you even start, just as you are trying to do.

So now you expect people to cycle miles to an airport in the middle of the night in winter for a poorly paid zero hours gig? Wow. You're all heart.

And Heathrow is not the only airport in the UK, believe it or not.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, KanchanaburiGuy said:

I grew up in a house where we did "Spring Cleaning." 

Every year, all the plates, picture frames, and nick-knacks were taken off the shelves and dusted or cleaned, along with the shelves they sat on. The silver was polished. The drawers were all relined. Every wood surface was dusted and polished, from tabletops and arms to legs and spindles.

"Spring Cleaning!" YES! Not just cleaning, but DEEP cleaning, to make sure every surface sparkled!

Except.........

If someone had walked into the house shortly after we started? Oh my god........ it would have looked like a bomb went off! All the drawer and shelf items plopped down on stretches of floor or the dining room table, the coffee table.

Everywhere you looked, there was a HUGE MESS!

It would have looked like we were the the world's biggest slobs!

But here's the thing..........

We had to make this huge mess. It was the only way to get the cleaning done as quickly as possible!

---------------

So one of the things I learned as a kid from our annual "Spring Cleaning" project was this..........

Sometimes you have to make a BIG MESS, before you can CLEAN THINGS UP!

But along with that, I also learned........... 

If you look too soon, all you may see is the BIG MESS............ and you'll never see the positive results that come from it!

---------------

As an adult, I've tried to explain to people my "Spring Cleaning" theory of politics, many times:

Sometimes you have no choice but to make a big mess.......... before you can fix things! And if you look too soon........ judge too soon....... you simply won't understand what's going on!

(Mostly, people dont get it. They just roll their eyes. ???? But mostly, these are people who never did actual "Spring Cleaning" growing up!)

---------------

I think...........

Impatience  may be the worst part of our politics today. Too few people are willing to wait to see what happens. They want to pass instant judgment; throw out instant condemnations. They act like the immediate response to an action......... is the ONLY response to an action! They act like there is no such thing as a long-term results......... that come AFTER the short-term reactions! 

But I learned important lessons from growing up in a house that did "Spring Cleaning."

I learned that sometimes it's best to withhold judgment until after you see what actually happens. Because if you look too soon........ all you may see is the big mess......... and never see all the good that can come from it!

----------------

Liz Truss has been Prime Minister for HOW LONG? 

Jeez! 

She ain't Ramen Noodles or an SMS! This ain't "Instagram" or Snapchat! 

Jeez! Give her a chance, will ya? You know, at least as long as you'd, say, let a teabag steep or the marinara simmer! 

It's like digital cameras and camera telephones have warped people's perceptions so much......... that polaroids and one-hour processing have become INTOLERABLE! Now! Now! Gotta have it NOW!

But somehow, in our warped political world, we've overlayed these expectations on the brand new Prime Minister of a large and complex industrial power, Liz Truss!

Now! Now! Make it all perfect NOW!

Jeez, take a breath, will ya?

???? 

good post,  as they say , "can't make an omelette without breaking eggs," 

23 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Plenty of buses available to Heathrow.

You can get a bicycle for a few quid from Ebay.

Or an electric bicycle/moped for a couple of hundred. I used to ride a 150 quid Moped from Bristol to Bath during Uni holidays to work on a building site as a Labourer. Nothing heroic about that, it's what normal people do if you really WANT to work. I also did Bristol to Weston Super Mare in a 300 quid Mini for 3 months during the summer break.

Alternatively you could just make up excuses for failure and laziness before you even start, just as you are trying to do.

They could get a taxi ,  they go everywhere else in taxis , why not use one to go to work

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I thought it was obvious the Tory party membership would never vote for a non-White leader. 

If a white man had been in the running Liz wouldn't have been selected either. 

You have mentioned a very delicate subject which , as far as I know , was not discussed in the media but was talked about with friends . Maybe a bridge too far at this time to have a coloured PM and this I believe was an effect on the Tory party members vote .  

Back to the topic . Last night I watched BBC Question time . There was a lively audience that was made up from a majority of previous Tory voters . When asked for a show of hands of who would vote for the Tories at the next election , there were no hands up . On the panel representing the Tories was Minister for London , Paul Scully .  He took a beating from all . Truss is adamant that her policy will work , to a mark of stubbornness and it is only a matter of time before there is a vote of confidence ( heavy defeat ) , leading to a general election . There will be a "U" turn on her policy as she is under duress from within her party and today will have a meeting , together with her chancellor , with the head of  Office of Budget Responsibility . She is in serious trouble and her actions are ruining the country .  I bet Boris has a grin on his face and is it beyond belief that he could return ?  He still has big support and I bet the Tory MPs wish they could turn the clock back and give him the confidence vote .

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Since when did the markets care about anything but greed making money?

Very seldom (if ever). And ...?

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't know if what she is doing will work or not, but I wouldn't base my opinion of her on the market.

It's not the sole criterion for judging her performance but are you suggesting market reaction is unimportant and can be ignored?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, superal said:

You have mentioned a very delicate subject which , as far as I know , was not discussed in the media but was talked about with friends . Maybe a bridge too far at this time to have a coloured PM and this I believe was an effect on the Tory party members vote .  

Back to the topic . Last night I watched BBC Question time . There was a lively audience that was made up from a majority of previous Tory voters . When asked for a show of hands of who would vote for the Tories at the next election , there were no hands up . On the panel representing the Tories was Minister for London , Paul Scully .  He took a beating from all . Truss is adamant that her policy will work , to a mark of stubbornness and it is only a matter of time before there is a vote of confidence ( heavy defeat ) , leading to a general election . There will be a "U" turn on her policy as she is under duress from within her party and today will have a meeting , together with her chancellor , with the head of  Office of Budget Responsibility . She is in serious trouble and her actions are ruining the country .  I bet Boris has a grin on his face and is it beyond belief that he could return ?  He still has big support and I bet the Tory MPs wish they could turn the clock back and give him the confidence vote .

Ah yes "Question Time" with its (totally random) hand picked audience,  not one of which would vote for the tories,  what a coincidence

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RayC said:

Very seldom (if ever). And ...?

It's not the sole criterion for judging her performance but are you suggesting market reaction is unimportant and can be ignored?

Yes market reaction is unimportant and in this case should definitely be ignored.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, baboon said:

I see you know as much about the unemployed as you do on how they claim their benefits. 

assuming you actually work,  how much of your money would you be happy to give to the workshy ? what % 

come on put your money where your mouth is,  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RayC said:

Either this is a radical new approach to political economy or it shows a lack of understanding about the (global) economy.

Or it shows how fickle the markets can be ,  you may have noticed the pound has started to recover already, surely this can now be heralded as a positive sign  or do we only comment when it drops, ? It would appear your understanding of things leaves a bit to be desired 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DezLez said:

Who cares apart from the "so called unemployed!

Their "enablers" seem to be very concerned for some inexplicable reason.  It appears to be a form of virtue signalling, they enjoy that, in case anybody hadn't noticed

• Like 1

On Monday, as the pound fell, government supporters on this board were telling us that the positive effects of the (mini) budget would take time to be felt - rough estimates were upwards of 12 months - and that we should reserve judgement about their success: It was - and remains - a fair comment imo.

However, I wake up this morning - after a recovery in the value of the pound - to find a number of these same posters declaring that the problem(s) with sterling is now over and claiming this as proof of the success of last Friday's measures!

• Like 1

Just now, JonnyF said:

Show me the facts. You showed me quotes from un-named sources.

I asked for facts.

You've got the reported facts in both links. You just wish to deny their veracity because you don't like them...no denials from 1922 committee on the Independent report, [which other news media reported on] and the tory misgivings on the disastrous mini budget have also been widely reported upon.

Tough to take, eh...

money is getting tight , there has even been talk of cancelling the triple lock on pensions, That's obviously ok as long as the money taken away from our pensioners  is diverted to the more deserving social security scroungers.  

It should be the other way round, cut their benefits and give it to the pensioners  who actually cannot work anymore and  really deserve it 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

You've got the reported facts in both links. You just wish to deny their veracity because you don't like them...no denials from 1922 committee on the Independent report, [which other news media reported on] and the tory misgivings on the disastrous mini budget have also been widely reported upon.

Tough to take, eh...

A Communist tabloid like The Guardian creating bad press for The Tories using quotes from the good old un-named sources.????

No, not tough to take at all. Entirely predictable in fact. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1