Liz Truss’s premiership has got off to the worst start possible

Scott

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Are you saying that there's no connection between rail workers high salary and high train ticket prices ?

Also, that if bus drivers were to get a higher salary then bus ticket prices wouldn't have to rise as well ?

Don't you think that there's a connection between operating costs and ticket prices and the higher the operating costs the higher the ticket price ?

Or management pay and bonuses? Dividend payments?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Are you saying that there's no connection between rail workers high salary and high train ticket prices ?

Also, that if bus drivers were to get a higher salary then bus ticket prices wouldn't have to rise as well ?

Don't you think that there's a connection between operating costs and ticket prices and the higher the operating costs the higher the ticket price ?

There's far more to it than that. As I said, you have only a tenuous understanding of what you write about. Some bus routes are subsidised by counties or cities or towns, for example, or they wouldn't be sustainable. So no, there isn't always a connection between operating costs and ticket prices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There's far more to it than that. As I said, you have only a tenuous understanding of what you write about. Some bus routes are subsidised by counties or cities or towns, for example, or they wouldn't be sustainable. So no, there isn't always a connection between operating costs and ticket prices.

So, raise taxes and pay everyone a high salary ?

Give bus drivers a large salary and raise peoples taxes to pay for it because the ticket price wouldn't cover the cost ?

6 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Seems that some are still singing from an old song sheet.  The Labour Party started their conference by singing the national anthem.  The likes of Corbyn and Abbot are long gone with Starmer taking his lead from the right wing leaning Tony Blair.

Just for clarity, I have never voted Labour and would sooner eat my own teeth than do that in the future.  But it is clear that Britain cannot continue with these morons running the country into the ground.  A cabinet full in incompetents put in place by the most incompetent of them all.

There needs to be a complete overhaul of politics and politicians in the UK.  There are simply no contenders at the moment who can turn this around.  Problem is that the general public haven't got the wherewithal to see beyond the same old Tory or Labour boxes to tick.

It has been said for years now that "we are in uncharted waters" or "we are in unprecedented times" and then just carrying on in the same way.  We have a Prime Minister and Chancellor who are in hiding (though unlike Johnson, not in a fridge or a shed) and getting underlings to face the difficult questions.  This is no way to "run" a country.

Screaming for a general election isn't going to fix this because you are then left with having to vote for the same inadequates and ne'er do wells that are in place now.  And I don't have the answer, but maybe we should have teams of experts calling the shots rather than a room full of amateurs who go from Health Minister to Home Secretary are the drop of a hat.

Dead right , its a broken system , and as long as being an MP is such a lucrative position it will always by default attract the wrong sort of people. who are backed by the wrong sorts of people.

Every now and again when a bright spark does appear who may have potential they invariably don't last long as when they  they  rattle a few cages along the way and threaten the status quo  they  are got rid of  pretty quickly  on the pretext of saying the wrong thing or some other technicality there's many ways to achieve that these days with all the "offence" waiting to be taken out there, on behalf of others

Who do these creeps actually represent ? The unions and big business ?  both of those need to be taken out of the equation for starters

We need to separate politics from government if its at all possible and keep politicians well away from running the country 

I've No Idea what the way forward  is.

We could start by forcing the players in the current system to be legally obliged to achieve a certain % of all the things they claim they will do in their manifesto or be forbidden from standing for election again.  

If we are to be stuck with two parties the there should be a limit on how many successive terms they can serve

Its clear that these people are not fit to police themselves either and that needs to be addressed too 

The  same goes for them voting for their own pay rises, as they are All rotten to the core 

• Love It 1

6 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

David Waboso , works in management on the trains , gets 380 000 GBP per year

Not any more apparently.

He’s working on water projects in Africa.

But let’s assume he’s still running a rail company in the UK and that he’s really good at his job and that he’s employed a red hot management team to help run the railway company with him.

Let’s say he’s worth the money.

Why then the need for another 23 managers and management teams to run all 24 rail companies when for decades a signaled British Rail sufficed?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You mean millions of people in the UK aren’t struggling to afford regular meals?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cost-of-living-crisis-uk-food-poverty-b2074449.html

Is that Liz Trusses fault too ?  Strangely when looking back in time I don't recall any periods under a labour government when there were no poor people,  and neither can you or anybody else , 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You mean millions of people in the UK aren’t struggling to afford regular meals?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cost-of-living-crisis-uk-food-poverty-b2074449.html

I have noticed that the U.K population seems to be getting slimmer , lot less fat people around, which isnt such a bad thing 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

Is that Liz Trusses fault too ?  Strangely when looking back in time I don't recall any periods under a labour government when there were no poor people,  and neither can you or anybody else , 

I like to go to the data:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/382695/uk-foodbank-users/

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 2

Just now, Bday Prang said:

I  bet the rise in food bank usage mirrors the increase in immigrants arriving by whatever means  no government should have allowed that to happen . However your little chart shows that there has been a drop of nearly 400,000 or around 16%  over the last 2 recorded periods,  so something seems to be working.

Anyway there are plenty of people availing themselves of free food when its available whether they need it or not and many of them were not born in the UK  

Oh, you’re on the immigrant thing.

• Like 2