VISA EXTENSION BASED ON MARRIAGE

My wife, a Thai national, and I (US citizen), after residing for 30 years in the US, will be moving to Thailand next year. I will apply for a Non-immigrant O visa in LA, and then, in Bangkok, apply for a visa extension based on marriage.

During our visit to Bangkok six years ago,we filed, at the district office ที่ทำการเขตบางแค the required paperwork needed regarding our marriage and opened a joint savings account at the Bangkok Bank. All the requirements for us to move to Thailand (passports, marriage registration, my wife's national ID card, Tabien Baan, etc., are now in order.

I have seen many comments here regarding the financial requirements pertaining to obtaining a visa extension, but none specifically obtaining same based on marriage; it is my hope that someone can confirm, based on personal experience, my understanding of this matter from the information below that I got from the website of the THAI IMMIGRATION BUREAU in Bangkok.

VISA EXTENSION - In the case of being a family member of a Thai national.

The alien husband must have no less than ฿400,000 in a bank account and must must attach a funds deposit certificate issued by a bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook, or must earn an average annual income of no less than ฿40,000 per month and must attach documents such as any particular individual income tax return together with payment receipt, evidence of receiving retirement pension, evidence of receiving interest from funds deposit, or evidence of having other funds issued by the relevant agency proving that he earns an average monthly income of no less than Baht 40,000 throughout the year.

My understanding is that I qualify as a husband who earns no less than ฿40,000 per month as a recipient in the Ohio State Teachers retirement system (actual monthly income is >฿140,000) which can be verified by an income verification letter from STRS as the required evidence of receiving a retirement pension.

I appreciate all the useful information I read on this site. Thank you, all.????

To use the income option you will need to prove 12 months of transfers into a Thai bank from abroad that are no less than 40k baht. In the written rules it states 2 or 3 months can be accepted but most immigration office will not accept less than 12 months.

t

4 hours ago, sidleonard said:

The alien husband must have no less than ฿400,000 in a bank account

This is your best option for convenience.

The 400k would need to be in the bank for two months prior to application for extension.

The bank letter is a simple process and cost 100baht.

That is not a problem as your non O marriage gives you 90 day stamp.

You need to have bank account in your name only.

After you receive the final stamp you can use the money as you wish.

Edited by DrJack54

As others have said, the 400k deposit is the easiest option. Given that you need your own account, maybe open a foreign currency account. The 400k (equivalent) is in a thai bank in $US, acceptable for immigration. You can then transfer funds as needed to your joint account, and when the exchange is favorable. Top it up 2 months prior to next years extension etc. Keep your pension paid into US account.

On 9/29/2022 at 2:06 PM, DrJack54 said:

OP, to clarify ..your plan is to use income method.

The following is a quote from the Immigration Bureau website; there is no indication that any amount must be in my personal bank account. - I would very much appreciate hearing from a pensioner who has met the financial visa extension requirement quoted below from the Immigration Bureau.

The alien husband must have no less than ฿400,000 in a bank account and must must attach a funds deposit certificate issued by a bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook,   "or must earn an average annual income of no less than ฿40,000 per month and must attach documents such as any particular individual income tax return together with payment receipt, evidence of receiving retirement pension."

7 hours ago, sidleonard said:

The following is a quote from the Immigration Bureau website; there is no indication that any amount must be in my personal bank account. - I would very much appreciate hearing from a pensioner who has met the financial visa extension requirement quoted below from the Immigration Bureau.

The first line in the quoted info from the some immigration website states this. "The alien husband must have no less than ฿400,000 in a bank account"

That seems to be fairly clear that the funds must be in the husband name only.

Same for the income option. If not legally working here and paying taxes you must show monthly transfers from abroad since the US embassy has not done a proof of income document since December of 2019.

This from a immigration order issued in December of 2018 allowing for monthly transfers.

image.png.18097acac3c226b5d6136e580cfde7ec.png

Thank you for your reply.  The information I quoted from the Immigration Bureau only specifies that the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than ฿40,000 per month and must attach documents such as any particular individual income tax return together with payment receipt, evidence of receiving retirement pension." My income is from my state teachers retirement plan, on which I, of course, pay US income tax, and for which I can provide an income verification letter from the retirement system as specified above.

The Immigration Bureau website cited above says nothing regarding  required bank deposits for those alien husbands who have the required monthly income. If I find on checking further that I must do as you indicate, I assume I will need to open an account in my name; my wife and I now have a joint savings account with >฿1M on deposit, funds which I assume we will be able to transfer into a personal account in my name.  

21 minutes ago, sidleonard said:

฿1M on deposit, funds which I assume we will be able to transfer into a personal account in my name.  

That would not be a problem.

Since you have funds available I suggest the money in bank method is a good option. 

The 400k baht only needs to be in your account on the day you obtain the non O in Thailand and for annual extensions for two months prior to application.

After final stamp is given the funds can be used/withdraw as you wish. 

28 minutes ago, sidleonard said:

Thank you for your reply.  The information I quoted from the Immigration Bureau only specifies that the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than ฿40,000 per month and must attach documents such as any particular individual income tax return together with payment receipt, evidence of receiving retirement pension." My income is from my state teachers retirement plan, on which I, of course, pay US income tax, and for which I can provide an income verification letter from the retirement system as specified above.

The info on the immigration website is out of date.

The income they mention on that website is only if working here with a work permit and paying Thai tax for you income.

The info I posted came from m a immigration order. You can download it here. 

Amendment to police order 138/2557 Revising clauses 2.18 and 2.22 to include options for proof of income  

First, thank you, a legendary and obviously well-informed member, for taking the time to share your knowledge of the matter in question, including the link you provided, with me. Perhaps you would be willing to allow me to provide a more detailed picture of our status and intention vis-a-vis moving permanently to Thailand. 

In April 2017, my wife, a Thai national (with dual citizenship), and I, a US citizen, after residing for many years in the US, came to Thailand with the intention of stayanng permanently, but due to a family hardship it was necessary for us to return to the US. However, before we knew about having to leave, we filed, at the Bangkok district office, and the US embassy, the required paperwork needed regarding our marriage and to open a joint savings account at the Bangkok Bank, which we now have. Therefore, I believe we have fulfilled all the requirements for us to move to Thailand (i.e., marriage registration, my wife's national ID card, Tabien Baan, etc. So, at moving time, I will apply for a Non-immigrant O visa at the Los Angeles Thai consulate with the intention of then applying, annually, in Bangkok for a one-year visa extension based on marriage. 

My only concern regards the financial requirement, but if I understand your answer to this concern, regardless of my lingering confusion, particularly whether or not I need to open an another account, all I need to do is open an account at Bangkok Bank in my name and transfer ฿400K into same from our joint account, and timing is not a problem, as I can do this shortly after we arrive in Bangkok, right? One further question: Will I need to verify that the ฿400K was transferred from the US; it was, but the money was transferred via WISE where my wife and I each have a membership and most of the money was transferred by her, via WISE, from our Bank of America join account.

Again, thank you for generous help with this matter.

First, thank you, a legendary and obviously well-informed member, for taking the time to share your knowledge of the matter in question, including the link you provided, with me. Perhaps you would be willing to allow me to provide a more detailed picture of our status and intention vis-a-vis moving permanently to Thailand. 

In April 2017, my wife, a Thai national (with dual citizenship), and I, a US citizen, after residing for many years in the US, came to Thailand with the intention of stayanng permanently, but due to a family hardship it was necessary for us to return to the US. However, before we knew about having to leave, we filed, at the Bangkok district office, and the US embassy, the required paperwork needed regarding our marriage and to open a joint savings account at the Bangkok Bank, which we now have. Therefore, I believe we have fulfilled all the requirements for us to move to Thailand (i.e., marriage registration, my wife's national ID card, Tabien Baan, etc. So, at moving time, I will apply for a Non-immigrant O visa at the Los Angeles Thai consulate with the intention of then applying, annually, in Bangkok for a one-year visa extension based on marriage. 

My only concern regards the financial requirement, but if I understand your answer to this concern, regardless of my lingering confusion, particularly whether or not I need to open an another account, all I need to do is open an account at Bangkok Bank in my name and transfer ฿400K into same from our joint account, and timing is not a problem, as I can do this shortly after we arrive in Bangkok, right? One further question: Will I need to verify that the ฿400K was transferred from the US; it was, but the money was transferred via WISE where my wife and I each have a membership and most of the money was transferred by her, via WISE, from our Bank of America join account.

Again, thank you for generous help with this matter.

You mention applying for the non O marriage in USA and subsequent extension in Thailand. 

For extensions the funds do not need to be shown to have come from abroad.

Even if you obtained the non O in Thailand the money being transferred from your joint account to account in your name would not be an issue.

Bit unrelated but discuss with your bank that your wife can be a signatory to your account without her name being listed on the account.

This is useful. 

As already pointed out several times you require a Thai bank account in your name.

The more simple option is to use money in bank method.

That would require 400k in bank for 2 months prior to application for extension plus best to keep in bank during the under consideration period (approx 1 month).

The funds can then be used. 

Income method is another option.

Note it's not average. It must be 40k+ per month. 

Will I need to verify that the ฿400K was transferred from the US; it was, but the money was transferred via WISE where my wife and I each have a membership and most of the money was transferred by her, via WISE, from our Bank of America join account.

There is no requirement to prove the 400k baht came from abroad.

You can open an account in your name only and transfer the 400k baht to that account from you joint account.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2022 at 6:14 PM, DrJack54 said:

This is your best option for convenience.

The 400k would need to be in the bank for two months prior to application for extension.

The bank letter is a simple process and cost 100baht.

That is not a problem as your non O marriage gives you 90 day stamp.

You need to have bank account in your name only.

After you receive the final stamp you can use the money as you wish.

As I explained in a previous post, my wife, a Thai national (with dual citizenship), and I, a US citizen, after residing for many years in the US, will be moving to Thailand. Pursuant to our move, I will apply for a Non-immigrant O visa at the Los Angeles Thai consulate with the intention of then applying, annually, in Bangkok for a one -year visa extension based on marriage. I would greatly appreciate comments regarding the following questions vis-a-vis said applications.

1.) In applying for a non-immigrant O e-visa am I correct in understanding that a one-way ticket w/single entry option will be acceptable; someone who has provided a video about applying for an e-visa is not sure if I may need either a round trip ticket or another one-way ticket to show that I will be leaving before my visa expires. Also, if I must for some reason return temporarily to the US, can I can get a re-entry permit (TM8) allowing me to return to Thailand without having to reapply for my another non-immigrant O visa?

2.) Regarding requirements for a visa extension (Thai Marriage Visa), thanks to certain of you veteran expats sharing your knowledge, I understand that I can meet the financial requirement by opening a personal account in my name only and transferring, at least 2 months before applying for said visa extension, ฿400K from our joint saving account at Bangkok Bank into my personal account, without having to show that the funds came from overseas (USA); did I get this right?

3.) I believe we have all the required documents (i.e., marriage registration [Kor Ror 22], my wife's national ID card, Tabien Baan [ทะเบียนบ้าน], but I am unsure if our intention to rent, indefinitely, condos, etc., in the CBD of Bangkok rather than residing at the residence indicated by said Tabien Baan, which is owned by my wife's sister, will be a problem with immigration. Any offered wisdom regarding this matter will be greatly appreciated.

On 10/4/2022 at 11:59 AM, sidleonard said:

I want to thank Dr. Jack54, ubonjoe, et al. for clarifying for me what I must do regarding the financial requirements for obtaining a visa extension based on marriage to a Thai national.  I wish you all the best.