Goodbye Emergency Decree and Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration, an era comes to an end in Thailand

webfact

26 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

As a customer entering a private business, you have two choices: abide by the rules the business has set, or go elsewhere. Ignoring their requests has a term that is slang for the end of the alimentary canal.

Were all getting our nickers in a not here. We are not suggesting a private business cannot have it's own rules, but to go one above the law which says it is not mandatory to wear a mask is what I am on about.

An example would be no smoking, ok fine, the law says no smoking so they must comply, but the law doesn't say that wearing of masks is law, so why does the business have the right to make it mandatory, is it to protect it's clients from the invisible boogie man, why not then say only vaccinated patrons with proof of vaccination will be admitted, because that would create a whole new sheet fight wouldn't it.

The pandemic is over, it is endemic, no masks are required to be worn as far as the law goes, so all I am saying is because some business says masks are required before entering, are behind the times and I will enter without a mask, and anyone who wishes to stop me will have to hold a damn good reason as to why I am required to wear a mask, that said, I can understand if it was in an aircraft, confined space with air conditioning being recirculated throughout the aircraft, but a Makro, Lotus or a big store like Central, give me a break.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Were all getting our nickers in a not here. We are not suggesting a private business cannot have it's own rules, but to go one above the law which says it is not mandatory to wear a mask is what I am on about.

An example would be no smoking, ok fine, the law says no smoking so they must comply, but the law doesn't say that wearing of masks is law, so why does the business have the right to make it mandatory, is it to protect it's clients from the invisible boogie man, why not then say only vaccinated patrons with proof of vaccination will be admitted, because that would create a whole new sheet fight wouldn't it.

The pandemic is over, it is endemic, no masks are required to be worn as far as the law goes, so all I am saying is because some business says masks are required before entering, are behind the times and I will enter without a mask, and anyone who wishes to stop me will have to hold a damn good reason as to why I am required to wear a mask, that said, I can understand if it was in an aircraft, confined space with air conditioning being recirculated throughout the aircraft, but a Makro, Lotus or a big store like Central, give me a break.

As long as the property owner operates within the law then it is THEIR property and it is up to THEM!

Do you not understand THAT?

So far, there is no (Thai) law that prevents a private business from making its own rules  as regards to mask wearing.

If a private business (or property owner)  wishes to retain a mask requirement for patrons then they are entirely within their rights.

You , also, are within your rights, to go elsewhere.

But the law does not give YOU the right to challenge or  ignore THEIR rules. 

Edited by wordchild
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ty Hareways said:

Anyone know if masks are still mandatory at the main airport BKK?

Thanks

If you mean Suvarnabhumi, then no, based on direct personal experience most recently 2 weeks ago. Can't speak for Don Muang but would assume it's the same.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

This is somewhat confusing, one minute it says, masks are still being recommended, and some venues and services based on "business" may still require them, BUT....the mandate has been dropped for months, AND it's a personal decision, NOW if someone wishes to wear a mask.

So, if I rock up to Makro or Lotus or Central is some dipstick going to try and tell me that they are above the law and ask me to wear a mask  to go in ?

In my experience I have stopped wearing a mask for the past few months. Not had a single issue so far. If a person was (irrationally) fearful I would wear a mask as a courtesy to them. But is a store asked me to wear a mask to shop and spend my money in their store or mall. I'd go elsewhere. As adults we are in control of where we go and where we spend our money.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wordchild said:

But the law does not give YOU the right to challenge or  ignore THEIR rules. 

That is where you are WRONG, l have the right to challenge any businesses policy or any legislation which makes the law.

Many have won cases against businesses and laws which are then known as precedents, they form the new law.

An example that could be the Equality Act or the Human Rights Act and so on and so forth, just because a law says this or a business says this, doesn't make it right and they can be challenged.

You have obviously never challenged, but accepted, that is your choice, but don't go preaching to me that the law doesn't give me the right to challenge it.

Edited by onthedarkside
flame comment removed

3 hours ago, jonclark said:

In my experience I have stopped wearing a mask for the past few months. Not had a single issue so far. If a person was (irrationally) fearful I would wear a mask as a courtesy to them. But is a store asked me to wear a mask to shop and spend my money in their store or mall. I'd go elsewhere. As adults we are in control of where we go and where we spend our money.

Agree with you 100%, an example would be tonight, I entered Big C, I had my mask in my hand, when entering the store, there was a security guard there wearing a mask, I walked straight by him, not a word.

When in the store, everyone was wearing masks, I didn't, I had mine in my hand, when at the check out, I saw people queued up wearing masks, out of a courtesy, I put mine on as I know how uneducated most here are, I could have left it off, but why make them feel uncomfortable, however my point was made, i.e. I entered the store without a mask on, no one said boo to me, however it was me who chose to cover up when exiting so as not to allow those wearing masks to be Anutin's followers, another dirty farang spreading the disease.

• Thumbs Up 1

I passed thru BKK airport 5 days ago and everyone was masked up as were most on the plane. I'm in the US now and the mask is a rare animal.

The only way the mask has any chance of being useful one must wash or sanitize hand before putting mask on and before taking off. Once off it should be washed or disposed of. And a new mask used. Not using the same cloth mask for days on end with it in your back pocket.

Goodbye Emergency Decree and Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration, an era comes to an end in Thailand

Not really.  Most Thais are still wearing masks which show that they either are indoctrinated or actually still fearful.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, connda said:

Not really.  Most Thais are still wearing masks which show that they either are indoctrinated or actually still fearful.

Or more likely, they're just interested in protecting their health, and the health of those around them, from COVID.

12 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Agree with you 100%, an example would be tonight, I entered Big C, I had my mask in my hand, when entering the store, there was a security guard there wearing a mask, I walked straight by him, not a word.

When in the store, everyone was wearing masks, I didn't, I had mine in my hand, when at the check out, I saw people queued up wearing masks, out of a courtesy, I put mine on as I know how uneducated most here are, I could have left it off, but why make them feel uncomfortable, however my point was made, i.e. I entered the store without a mask on, no one said boo to me, however it was me who chose to cover up when exiting so as not to allow those wearing masks to be Anutin's followers, another dirty farang spreading the disease.

Exactly, that is the correct way to do things. We live in a pluralistic society where thankfully we can all express our views with a relative degree of openness. That doesn't mean our views are correct.  

If you are courteous when others are uncomfortable, then that courtesy will no doubt be repaid at some point when you are faced with an uncomfortable situation. And thus we coexist peacefully and with consideration for others.

Seems to be a much more harmonious way of living that some of the polerising rants and attacks that seem to occur with ever increasing frequency on this site. Be it mask wearing, marijuana, politics etc. . 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 8:51 PM, Ginner said:

I have seen a few Thais in Makro, Lotus and Big C not wearing masks or had them round their chin. Nothing was said to them. But I get funny looks even when I am on my motorbike, wearing a helmet with visa down, but no mask.

@Ginner you're getting funny looks cuz you're wearing a helmet.  

9 hours ago, jonclark said:

Exactly, that is the correct way to do things. We live in a pluralistic society where thankfully we can all express our views with a relative degree of openness. That doesn't mean our views are correct.  

If you are courteous when others are uncomfortable, then that courtesy will no doubt be repaid at some point when you are faced with an uncomfortable situation. And thus we coexist peacefully and with consideration for others.

Seems to be a much more harmonious way of living that some of the polerising rants and attacks that seem to occur with ever increasing frequency on this site. Be it mask wearing, marijuana, politics etc. . 

@jonclark when Thais start being courteous to me I'll do the same but I think it could be a long wait.                              also if mask wearers think they work why are they bothered if I wear one or not?  ????

On 10/1/2022 at 8:51 AM, Ginner said:

But I get funny looks even when I am on my motorbike, wearing a helmet with visa down, but no mask.

Are you sure it's because of the lack of mask? I've never put my visa on my helmet. Could be that?

On 10/1/2022 at 3:54 AM, EVENKEEL said:

This is not good news for some mask fans. You know who you are. ????

I noticed my neighbour wearing a mask in my condo foyer yesterday. I jokingly asked her if she was still afraid of covid. She said no, I'm just not wearing makeup LOL. Pretty much everyone in the building (myself included) has had at least one bout of covid. It's pretty hard to escape covid in a condo lift if you're too lazy to use the stairs.

I don't normally wear a mask myself, but I'm quite happy if everyone else still wants to. From that perspective, I'm guilty of being a mask fan.

Edited by JensenZ

On 10/1/2022 at 8:08 AM, 4MyEgo said:

This is somewhat confusing, one minute it says, masks are still being recommended, and some venues and services based on "business" may still require them, BUT....the mandate has been dropped for months, AND it's a personal decision, NOW if someone wishes to wear a mask.

So, if I rock up to Makro or Lotus or Central is some dipstick going to try and tell me that they are above the law and ask me to wear a mask  to go in ?

In Pattaya, you can enter unmasked in Central, Big C, Lotus's, Friendship, and Terminal 21. Those are the only shopping malls I have visited. There has been no problem since July 1. I carry one in my pocket just in case an establishment still has a requirement. Hospitals require one (did in September, but not sure about this month).

• Thanks 1

On 10/1/2022 at 8:29 AM, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

Obviously, private businesses may make their own decision about the matter, which is their right, but if a customer does not wish to wear a mask (like me), then they have the choice of going elsewhere.

Here in BKK in the large malls I've been to, there are no restrictions or requirements, and nobody has asked me to wear a mask. Of course, nearly all Thais are still using them, but that is their choice. I have no complaints, and I do not find it "confusing" at all.

And it should be noted that in Pattaya, everyone is quite easygoing about your mask status. Thai people don't seem to care if you're wearing one or not. The only strange looks I get are from foreigners if I am wearing one.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/1/2022 at 3:08 AM, 4MyEgo said:

Easy: Vote with your feet.

And state loud and clear, that you’ll spend your money elsewhere.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Bernietravelling said:

Easy: Vote with your feet.

And state loud and clear, that you’ll spend your money elsewhere.

The problem there is Thai's don't want to lose face, so it will be the usual, "up to you" response, whereas I would like to question them as to why their policy is to wear a face mask, are they disease qualified experts, the government has no mandatory policy, what puts them above the law.

In other words, I like to have answers to my questions answered, most of the times, people can't deliver, and when and if it comes to well if you don't like it, you can shop elsewhere, to which my reply would be but of course, that is a given, but no before I have your name so that your boss, owner knows exactly what you have said and have created, because it is not only me that you are sending away to shop elsewhere.

As you can see, I like a bit of a challenge as opposed to bending over at someone's policy that would have very little substance in holding up why that policy was implemented. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

The problem there is Thai's don't want to lose face, so it will be the usual, "up to you" response, whereas I would like to question them as to why their policy is to wear a face mask, are they disease qualified experts, the government has no mandatory policy, what puts them above the law.

In other words, I like to have answers to my questions answered, most of the times, people can't deliver, and when and if it comes to well if you don't like it, you can shop elsewhere, to which my reply would be but of course, that is a given, but no before I have your name so that your boss, owner knows exactly what you have said and have created, because it is not only me that you are sending away to shop elsewhere.

As you can see, I like a bit of a challenge as opposed to bending over at someone's policy that would have very little substance in holding up why that policy was implemented. 

I fully understand, where you are coming from. … And normally, to make people think, would be the right way.

However, from what I observe, it’s interestingly the better educated and richer Thais, who are still sticking to the old Covid narratives.

That guy at the front door is most likely a low salary employee, just “following the orders” of his managers.

Had recently a similar experience in a famous venue in Chiangmai, where they even requested an ATK …. 55555

IMO it didn’t make any sense to discuss with the bouncers, but stated loud and clear, what I thought and spending my money elsewhere.

However: I made also sure to let the story known to others, who are connected with the owner and that our group spent that night ~10,000 somewhere else.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bernietravelling said:

I fully understand, where you are coming from. … And normally, to make people think, would be the right way.

However, from what I observe, it’s interestingly the better educated and richer Thais, who are still sticking to the old Covid narratives.

That guy at the front door is most likely a low salary employee, just “following the orders” of his managers.

Had recently a similar experience in a famous venue in Chiangmai, where they even requested an ATK …. 55555

IMO it didn’t make any sense to discuss with the bouncers, but stated loud and clear, what I thought and spending my money elsewhere.

However: I made also sure to let the story known to others, who are connected with the owner and that our group spent that night ~10,000 somewhere else.

Good on you.

As difficult it it might seem to point out the absurdity, the more this is done, the sooner it ends.

Bringing it up and talking about it is the only way. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2022 at 6:22 AM, LetsGoJoe said:

The lone rice farmer I seen on his tractor in the middle of his paddy, and still wearing a mask.....must of missed the memo. ????

I saw à guy jogging with one on yesterday, he was the only guy on the road. It's just sad at that point. 

Edited by rattlesnake
  • Haha 1

On 10/1/2022 at 6:21 PM, jonclark said:

And that is the choice businesses are having to make.... to protect their staff and reputation by requiring masks, or be open to  all customers like yourself. I expect they remember the not to distant past, where a business was forced to close for a quarantine period if covid was detected there. 

On 10/3/2022 at 3:03 AM, rattlesnake said:

I saw à guy jogging with one on yesterday, he was the only guy on the road. It's just sad at that point. 

I've got one better LOL. There was a Thai woman wearing a mask in the park tonight at about 8:30 pm with no one around. I passed by her within a few meters - I think she panicked. I can understand this in crowded shopping malls, but this was absurd.

7 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I've got one better LOL. There was a Thai woman wearing a mask in the park tonight at about 8:30 pm with no one around. I passed by her within a few meters - I think she panicked. I can understand this in crowded shopping malls, but this was absurd.

Let her do as she chooses....... have we got to the stage where a Thai woman cannot be in a park without some nosey foreigner looking at her, and mumbling under his breath?

There was not 'no one around'... you passed close by!

Edited by jacko45k