Condominium versus apartment

The minimum rental period in a condominium is fixed at 3 months!

At apartments there is probably no minimum rental period !

In most condos this is to be read at the reception also clearly recognizable! 

In some even in front of the condo to avoid annoying inquiries from tourists!

So that tourists just can not rent!

• Thanks 1

In a condo, you usually pay the direct government electric rate, between B4-5.  Apartments can and often do mark electricity up, often to 6 to 10 baht a unit which can double AC costs.  Also, apartments are more likely to charge marked-up rates for TV, internet and water.

Some condo owners may try to pass monthly maintenance fees on to renters but that's pretty rare.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, topswijaya said:

how much is on average the monthly 10-12k baht 1 bed room(  studio)  condo maintenance fee?

Maintenance, or common area, fees are based on the square meterage of the condo, and vary from building to building.  (According to CBRE, for Bangkok it ranges from 30 - 150 Baht per sq m per month - but anything in the upper range would be for either a large building, with a lot of facilities but few condos, or an extremely upmarket building.  We pay 50 baht per metre for a fairly upmarket place on lower Sukhumvit).  However, if you are renting you should not be expected to foot this bill.  The rent should cover what the owner has to pay.

• Thanks 1

Sometimes there's a situation like a friend had.  The owner of his rented condo was in Russia. When transferring funds out of Russia became difficult, they made a deal, my friend would pay the condo fee's and subtract it from the rent.

It's all cost per m², and what is considered an apartment.

How much space do you need, or security or lack of are you comfortable with.  Going to need or use the amenities, gym/pool ?  

I personally wouldn't rent either, and go with a townhouse, since having neighbors anyway.  Usually way cheaper and more m².

On 10/1/2022 at 10:59 AM, Richard 2020 said:

The minimum rental period in a condominium is fixed at 3 months!

No

If a place doesn't have a hotel license (a condo can't have one) then the minimum rental period is one month.

At apartments there is probably no minimum rental period !

Only if the "apartment" has a hotel license.

In most condos this is to be read at the reception also clearly recognizable! 

Condos usually don't have receptions.

Apartment: The whole building is owned by one person/company, basically same as a hotel, just for long term.

Condo: The units in one building are owned by different persons, each unit has its own house number and house book.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

It's all cost per m², and what is considered an apartment.

How much space do you need, or security or lack of are you comfortable with.  Going to need or use the amenities, gym/pool ?  

I personally wouldn't rent either, and go with a townhouse, since having neighbors anyway.  Usually way cheaper and more m².

For me, the point "safety" just counts more!

Had myself 2 times a house. 

Once a townhouse and once a detached!

Now live in a condo, first of the security not to compare with a house, no matter what type!

Then no pool service, gardener, etc. pay and everything maintained, even if I'm not there once a few weeks!

Pool, gym, sauna, restaurant all just a few steps away!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Richard 2020 said:

For me, the point "safety" just counts more!

Had myself 2 times a house. 

Once a townhouse and once a detached!

Now live in a condo, first of the security not to compare with a house, no matter what type!

Then no pool service, gardener, etc. pay and everything maintained, even if I'm not there once a few weeks!

Pool, gym, sauna, restaurant all just a few steps away!

I prefer the space over amenities.  After 1st month, probably wouldn't use the pool anyway.  Security was never an issue.  Depending where, restaurants always same distance away.

Price per m² for townhouse or detached a major plus.  120m² condo are silly priced, and could buy something in 5-10 yrs of rent price ... relative of course.  I would need minimum 80m² to be comfy, and that would be a lot of wasted money, better spent buying/building.

All a bit relative, as OP didn't mention location, and make a huge difference.