opening bank account

14 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Opened a TMB and Krungsi account on visa exempt entries. First branches I visited so no shopping around or insurance scam either

My posts have been regarding Bangkok.

But excellent you could open accounts so easily.

Post their branch locations to assist others. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Siam Legal can open bank account.

Think you will find they deal with Bangkok Bank.

Fee ~ 3k...

When choosing a bank be aware that only these three accept large transfers using WISE.

Bangkok Bank.

Kasikorn Bank.

Siam Commercial Bank.

The others have limit of 50k baht per transaction.

Also be aware that SCB does not have a branch at CW immigration..

If one uses their service to open a bank account, what address is used for the account's records? Is it Siam Legal's or is it a fictitious one? And just to be sure, no statements or replacement cards or sensitive account-related documents are ever sent to the address?

Thanks again. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Disregard all the above posts..

If you are planning to open bank account with visa exempt or tourist visa at Bangkok then you will require an agent. 

That's nonsense , my friend arrived in Phuket on September 14 on Visa exempt . We went to the Bangkok Bank in  Patong and opened an account , no insurance required , although they did try and sell him it but he declined. He then transferred 900,000 from Australia and went to immigration to apply for a Non O while still having 15 days left on his 30 day Visa.

3 minutes ago, Brick Top said:

That's nonsense , my friend arrived in Phuket on September 14 on Visa exempt .

Read my post again.

It refers specifically to opening a bank account in BANGKOK. 

Not referring to Bangkok Bank or Phuket. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

But excellent you could open accounts so easily.

Post their branch locations to assist others. 

TMB was in Jomtien outside View Talay just before the road turns to the beach. Krungsi branch was in the Pattaya Avenue, unfortunately it closed during covid.

Was just to point out that you can get a bank account on visa exempt, just keep trying every branch until you get one

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

Was just to point out that you can get a bank account on visa exempt, just keep trying every branch until you get one

As I pointed out earlier, my posts regarding requirements to open bank account is in regard to BANGKOK 

Not Chonburi or Phuket etc. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

I was replying to this post...

"Can anyone confirm that, if using an agent's services (such as those of Siam Legal)".....

I gave the correct advice.

ThaivisaCenter also provide this service. 

You state ..... "..the person can do it on there own...".

Almost impossible if person is on visa exempt or tourist visa and opening an account in  Bangkok. 

Banks will require residence certificate or letter from embassy.

You cannot obtain residence certificate in CW unless you are making 90 day reports. 

Not all embassies provide the letter that the bank requires.

Oz embassy being one.

Post facts. 

No you did not give the correct advice!

Where does the OP state he is using Siam Legal in Bangkok?  He could be using them in other regions such as;

"Siam Legal International is a full-service law firm in Thailand with its head office located in Bangkok. Our offices and representatives are strategically located throughout Thailand including Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Samui and Phuket."

Even if he is in Bangkok there is no requirement to use an agent!

I continue to ask myself questions as to why you keep pushing your agent nonsense!

Siam Legal International | Law Firm in Thailand (siam-legal.com)

Edited by DezLez
link added

Can anyone recommend a bank to open an account with ease that's  foreigner friendly in Bangkok? (visa exempt or tourist visa) 

How much do VISA agency charge to help open a bank account in BKK? Recommendation for one please.

43 minutes ago, Thomas KH said:

If one uses their service to open a bank account, what address is used for the account's records? Is it Siam Legal's or is it a fictitious one? And just to be sure, no statements or replacement cards or sensitive account-related documents are ever sent to the address?

Thanks again. 

Yeah would like to know this too, for siem legal, visa agent etc. thanks

Edited by Thaiaddict01

4 minutes ago, DezLez said:

Even if he is in Bangkok there is no requirement to use an agent!

I continue to ask myself questions as to why you keep pushing your agent nonsense!

Not all, but a lot of these threads are opening a bank account as first step to obtaining a non O from visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

Given that application requires 15+ days remaining on permission of stay the opening of bank account needs to occur asap.

A residence certificate in Bangkok takes time. Between 1-2 weeks. 

The option of letter from embassy also takes time. 

Some embassies such as Au don't even provide this service.

Even if residence certificate was instant from CW you need to be doing 90 day reports at CW to apply for one.

People on tourist and visa exempt entry cannot obtain a residence certificate in Bangkok.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Not all, but a lot of these threads are opening a bank account as first step to obtaining a non O from visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

Given that application requires 15+ days remaining on permission of stay the opening of bank account needs to occur asap.

A residence certificate in Bangkok takes time. Between 1-2 weeks. 

The option of letter from embassy also takes time. 

Some embassies such as Au don't even provide this service.

Even if residence certificate was instant from CW you need to be doing 90 day reports at CW to apply for one.

People on tourist and visa exempt entry cannot obtain a residence certificate in Bangkok.

Why are you harping on about Bangkok and where does BKK Bank say you need a Residence Certificate to open one in Bangkok?

If I was the OP I would Print out the website "requirement" page I linked to earlier and if refused speak to a manager.

36 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

As I pointed out earlier, my posts regarding requirements to open bank account is in regard to BANGKOK 

Not Chonburi or Phuket etc. 

You ask me to list banks I got account on visa exempt and then you reply with this. What has Bangkok banks got to do with anything as OP  didn't say he was in Bangkok. Only you seem fixated on Bangkok for some reason

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

You ask me to list banks I got account on visa exempt and then you reply with this. What has Bangkok banks got to do with anything as OP  didn't say he was in Bangkok. Only you seem fixated on Bangkok for some reason

Geez. 

The OP has not been active in the thread virtually from the start. Still unaware of where he is located. 

The reason to highlight Bangkok is that it has significantly more hurdles than other areas.

3 hours ago, DezLez said:

So can any agent or even cheaper the person can do this on their own.

Why do you keep pushing Siam Legal I wonder!

People who keep on promoting the use of agents are either very old or infirm, in which case entirely understandable, or they cannot meet the legal requirements, or they have a vested interest in the agency 'business', or they are too lazy to get off their backside. I would suggest you walk into as many banks as you can find in your area and try your luck. It can work every now and again. I have 3 accounts at SCB. They are pretty tough on requirements, and they don't have a branch at CW, so maybe give them a miss.

6 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

I've heard you need to get an agent as only way to get a bank account...or maybe my 2 bank accounts say not lol

What simple facts don't you understand......

It would be very difficult to open a bank account in Bangkok on a tourist visa or visa exempt entry.

Granted the OP did not even state his details ...location etc.

You obtained your accounts in Pattaya great.

The use of agent is a suggestion especially for those where time is of the essence. 

Often the case when "converting" to a non O. 

There are several threads on this topic in "banking finance" forum.

Have also read recent reports that even Banks in Jomtien/Pattaya have started asking for residence certificate.

Some people post regarding their own personal experience that can sometimes be outdated.

Indeed money laundering laws have possibly caused some of the tightening of the rules. 

7 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

. I would suggest you walk into as many banks as you can find in your area and try your luck

When did you open your first account in Bangkok.

If some years ago the rules were quite different.

3 hours ago, Crazy Noobie said:

I am on a Retirement Visa. I went into Kasikorn Bank to see what their requirements to open a bank account was. They asked if I wanted to open one now and I said yes. All they wanted was my passport and a 100 baht deposit to open the account and the ATM card fee of 200 baht. 10 minutes later I walked out with my new bank account and ATM card. I was very surprised how easy it was, I must of hit it at the right time. From what I hear it is not this easy.

Just shows it can be done if you hit the right time of day and/or the right time of the month.

2 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Just shows it can be done if you hit the right time of day and/or the right time of the month.

Read the post you quoted.

The guy had a non O retirement or non O-A.

Either way opening an account would not be difficult.

The problem arises for those on visa exempt or tourist visa in some places such as Bangkok

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

and you've tried every branch? 

Years ago I read here from a poster that just opened up a bank account with a Bangkok Bank branch in Bangkok. About two weeks later I went to try and open up an account at that bank and the teller said I needed something from Immigration, I cannot remember exactly what it was. I said to the teller that this bank opened up an account for a farang about two weeks ago. I was then told "Oh! We have a new manager now. Says it all really. Give a Somchai a bit of power and Well! There you go.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crazy Noobie said:

I am on a Retirement Visa. I went into Kasikorn Bank to see what their requirements to open a bank account was. They asked if I wanted to open one now and I said yes. All they wanted was my passport and a 100 baht deposit to open the account and the ATM card fee of 200 baht. 10 minutes later I walked out with my new bank account and ATM card. I was very surprised how easy it was, I must of hit it at the right time. From what I hear it is not this easy.

I bet that you would not have got that account if you were on a tourist visa or arrived visa exempt. Being on retirement or marriage extensions it should not be too hard, you just have to look around.

I opened accounts  at Bangkok Bank with a Tourist Visa close to running out, and a Certificate of Residence from Imm. - Did this about 2.5 years ago.

No Letter of Reference.

No Thai accompanying me.

No Work Permit.

Edited by JimmyJ

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

and you've tried every branch? 

Don't need to try every branch. Just call the call center and ask about the official requirements. Tourist visas are not allowed.

Of course you may try branch shopping in hope of finding an incompetent manager who doesn't know their own bank regulations. Good luck on that.

Edited by JoseThailand

12 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

I opened accounts  at Bangkok Bank with a Tourist Visa close to running out, and a Certificate of Residence from Imm. - Did this about 2.5 years ago.

No Letter of Reference.

No Thai accompanying me.

No Work Permit.

did you get the residence certificate from Chaeng Wattana?

1 minute ago, JoseThailand said:

Don't need to try every branch. Just call the call center and ask about the official requirements. Tourist visas are not allowed.

I've been hearing that for years but still opened 3 accounts on a tourist visa, but i appreciate Kasikorn did become more strict a few years ago

• Like 1