opening bank account

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

I've been hearing that for years but still opened 3 accounts on a tourist visa, but i appreciate Kasikorn did become more strict a few years ago

Years ago everything was different. I opened an account with Krungsri on a tourist visa, but now the rules have changed.

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've heard of people who have, try different branches, some better than others for sure

I emailed the head office of SCB, they replied saying it upto the management of each branch if I can or not.

Head office also started because I'm on a long term visa with yellow book etc they can see any problem me opening a account.

SCB EZ pays 1.5% interest which is one of the best rates around 

2 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:
4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've heard of people who have, try different branches, some better than others for sure

Without a work permit doesn't mean with a tourist visa. People open accounts with Non-imm visas without a work permit.

It varies...  from bank to bank from province to province, from branch manager to branch manager... there is no set in stone consistency.

A Work Permit or Yellow Tabine Baan house book will pretty much guarantee you can open a Bank account at any Branch. 

Without the above, there may be some trial and error, and a little leg work required to find a bank ./ branch which will work with you...  odds are improved with a Non-Imm Visa and Certificate of Address (affirmation of residence) document...   

If attempting to open a Bank Account with only a Tourist visa your chances are very slim.. no impossible, I’m sure its been done by someone... nevertheless, chances are very slim. 

On 10/2/2022 at 9:32 AM, JoseThailand said:

Bangkok bank is the only one that opens accounts for people with tourist visas. All the others seem to require a work permit or at least some kind of Non-immigrant visa.

I was able to open one at Bangkok Bank last month I had to have a confirmation letter from Immigration, which says my 30-day Visa is valid and the address where I stay was the adress of my budy. Not sure if would have worked with a hotel address.

31 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

So I must have randomly picked the only two TMB and Krungsi Bank branches who both allowed me to open an account with them on visa exempt.

Should have bought a lotto ticket with that luck lol

Yep, people give up too easy, quitters

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, ThaiAl said:

I was able to open one at Bangkok Bank last month I had to have a confirmation letter from Immigration, which says my 30-day Visa is valid and the address where I stay was the adress of my budy. Not sure if would have worked with a hotel address.

Which immigration office.

5 hours ago, aussiexpat said:

Krungsi branch was in the Pattaya Avenue, unfortunately it closed during covid.

That sucks. Has Krungsri at Pattaya Avenue permanently closed or temporary only? Which branch is the next nearest recommended Krungsri?

4 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

That sucks. Has Krungsri at Pattaya Avenue permanently closed or temporary only? Which branch is the next nearest recommended Krungsri?

Give up on Krungsri. They will all tell you the same thing. Just a year ago all the branches were okay with tourist visas, but now the rules are different.

52 minutes ago, aussiexpat said:

So I must have randomly picked the only two TMB and Krungsi Bank branches who both allowed me to open an account with them on visa exempt.

It's not luck. Before Krungsri was okay with tourist visas, but not anymore.

1 hour ago, aussiexpat said:

this was recently in Bangkok?

Edited by Lemsta69

51 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Buakhao also closed, the Big C Extra branch picked up both their businesses

Has the Kasikorn branch at Avenue also closed down? If so, does anyone know the next best branch near Avenue for current Kasikorn customers?

I think there's also a Kasikorn and Krungsri at Central Festival. I presume these are still open? That would be closer to Avenue, if walking.

Edited by bbi1

7 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Has the Kasikorn branch at Avenue also closed down? If so, does anyone know the next best branch near Avenue for current Kasikorn customers?

Big C Extra, is that the on Pattaya Klang Rd, the big shopping centre?

Yes Big C Extra is on Klang, but the nearest Kasikorn is the one on Klang just down from Buakhao

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Maestro said:

Whatever bank one goes to, it is important to make it clear that one wishes to apply for a savings account. Otherwise, the bank employee may think that one wants a current account and apply the requirements for that type of account. 

Is there any difference between the "savings" and the "current" accounts?

All of my bank accounts are of "savings" type and I've been using them for years without any issues - paying online and attaching to PayPal (both the card and the bank account), paying offline and even abroad, etc.

Edited by fdsa

8 hours ago, dayo202 said:

Have anyone had any success opening a SCB EZ savings account without a work permit ?.

Yes, recently.

Needed a Certificate of Residence.

A woman on their info line was helpful giving me the requirements.

Edited by JimmyJ

3 hours ago, ThaiAl said:

Udon Thani

So you stated the following..

"I was able to open one at Bangkok Bank last month I had to have a confirmation letter from Immigration, which says my 30-day Visa is valid and the address where I stay was the adress of my budy. Not sure if would have worked with a hotel address"

Don't understand much of that.

Immigration can supply a residence certificate.

What you described is very different.

Do you have copy of letter?

That would be interesting. 

28 minutes ago, Thaiaddict01 said:

Sorry to ask again:

Can anyone recommend a bank to open an account with ease that's  foreigner friendly in Bangkok? (visa exempt or tourist visa) 

How much do VISA agency charge to help open a bank account in BKK? Recommendation for one please.

Agent: Siam Legal or ThaiVisaCenter or Bangkok Buddy etc. Cost approx 3k.

As mentioned several times in this thread, Bangkok has added difficulties compared to some other provinces.

Without a work permit or a non O visa most banks will require a residence certificate from immigration or letter from embassy.

In Bangkok to obtain a residence certificate you need to be filing 90 day reports 

Obviously not done by visa exempt and tourist visa holders. 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 2:43 PM, dayo202 said:

Have anyone had any success opening a SCB EZ savings account without a work permit ?.

yes i did opened one on 30 June 2022 in BKK, with my yellow book and pink ID...…that was all needed!!

• Haha 1