British family makes desperate plea for grandfather seriously ill in Thailand

webfact

image.jpeg
Granddaughter Eva, John Horsley, daughter Janet Cowen and grandson Josh (Image: Janet Cowen)

He has a "50/50" chance of surviving as medical bills mount up

By Tom Hitchenor

A Northamptonshire family has issued a desperate plea for a grandfather seriously ill in Thailand. Janet Cowen, 37, from Desborough said her father has a "50/50" chance of surviving as medical bills for his treatment mount up.

John Horsley, 77, an ex-professional footballer for Coventry City and Shrewsbury Town, was admitted to hospital on Sunday, September 25. He was "sorting out his affairs" in Thailand with a view to moving back in with his daughter.

However, he fell ill and his health deteriorated to the point where he wouldn't have been able to make a flight back. Mum-of-two Janet said: "He suffers from Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and emphysema.

"He's not been right and has been struggling with his breathing. He had not been sleeping or eating for a few days and was feeling really unwell.

"In the end, they took him in by ambulance to hospital and was moved into intensive care. We managed to do a call this morning (September 30) and see him.

Full story: https://www.northantslive.news/news/northamptonshire-news/northamptonshire-family-makes-desperate-plea-7649265

image.jpeg

-- © Copyright Northants Live 2022-10-04

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Not for someone playing in the 1960's - 70's (which is probably when he was playing, given his age).

When Kevin Keegan signed for Liverpool in 1971 he was getting a basic wage of £50 a week. And that's for one of England's best players at one of England's top clubs.

Somebody playing at Coventry and Shrewsbury would have been getting considerably less.

The era of footballers earning more than the average worker didn't start till the 80's or 90's, with the influx of foreign players. And footballer's careers can be incredibly short - most are lucky to get as long as 15 years at the top level.

Even if this guy played for that long (and we don't know that he did) he wouldn't have amassed much of a nest egg with the wages they got back then.

Thanks!!!????????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Even if this guy played for that long (and we don't know that he did) he wouldn't have amassed much of a nest egg with the wages they got back then

But he must have had a job in between soccer and retirement. It could have been a lucrative job and he could be well off? We will never know the truth.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I would disagree, I don't expect (nor desire) to live to age 77.

But I would like to choose where I die, which is not in a UK nursing home.

No need to run up expensive medical bills, accept death when it comes.

I don't 'self-insure' or have any insurance, and don't intend to pay for long term medical care. It's not required, at 66 I've already had my life.

so you're in denial

what happens if you become incapacitated, who will you burden with the problems you can longer fix

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I have some sympathy for the poor guy. That one is a killer.

I too suffer from COPD and there is not a lot that the docs here can do.

Even if he has insurance, eventually, the insurance companies stop paying out.

Good luck sir.

Is COPD caused by smoking?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1