British family makes desperate plea for grandfather seriously ill in Thailand

webfact

52 minutes ago, phetpeter said:

I tell people all the time sign up and make payments into the social sercuity scheme, about 450 baht per month. after several months you will be able to get free medical services and tablets. plus when you paid in for years you can get a pension or lump sum too, plus child beneifit etc.  I had a heart attack got taken to hospital had a stent and ongoing treatment and tablets at no cost. Don't believe then pop down to the office or local government hospital and check it out or check it out on line. If you are working direct with a government school they are meant by law to put you on the scheme, pay towards it and when you lose your work, you will also be able to claim unemployment benifit for a period of time.

You need a work permit to join the social security scheme?

Edited by Chris.B
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I would disagree, I don't expect (nor desire) to live to age 77.

But I would like to choose where I die, which is not in a UK nursing home.

No need to run up expensive medical bills, accept death when it comes.

I don't 'self-insure' or have any insurance, and don't intend to pay for long term medical care. It's not required, at 66 I've already had my life.

Well said. Me likewise. I've no intention to go, or be taken to, anywhere near a hospital when the time comes. 

• Like 2

Just now, Dr B said:

As with many of the other posts, this seems to miss the point. Nobody is suggesting the John has a "Go Fund Me" page. He is in an ICU on a ventilator, and probably knows nothing about this, or the rate at which his bills are mounting up, and is powerless to do anything about it anyway. His family in UK are the ones footing the bill, and presumably trying the GFM option.

It's a GFM page set up by third party to his benefit, thus "his" GFM.

16 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

Bottom line, if you don't have the funds (to cover your medical/emergency bills), you shouldn't be here......How Bloody Cheeky of YOU,Who do YOU Think YOU Are ??

He thinks it is his life that gets impacted by others choices and therefore he believes he is god. So many foreigners think others should live just like they do and do as they do, sad state of affairs when folks seem to always get upset at others misfortunes without knowing the true and whole story.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, orchis said:

It's a GFM page set up by third party to his benefit, thus "his" GFM.

So he has access to it?  I do not think that's how it works unless the party setting up the GFM releases the account to the named person. Using the funds would be a hard proposition if the man is incapacitated.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I don't follow the European football (soccer), I'm NRL. 

I just regularly read the millions and millions of dollars these guys earn. 

Those are current salaries and NONE of those re still playing at 77 years old.

As a reference he would have been 35 in 1980 and probably be nearing the end of his professional career as a footballer.

A link for you.

https://www.sportingintelligence.com/2011/01/20/from-20-to-33868-per-week-a-quick-history-of-english-footballs-top-flight-wages-200101/

Figures cited in the official history of the PFA show that only eight players in England earned basic salaries of £50,000 per year in 1980-81, but this rose to 41 players by 1984-85 and steadily thereafter.

https://sportslens.com/news/english-football-wages/

In 1984-85, top division players in England earned a basic average of £480 per week (£25,000 a year), which was more than double what the average worker earned, and which was three times as much as players earned in the Fourth Division. Today the difference is 30 times as much.
In 1984-85, according to the PFA’s data, the average basic wage in the First Division – as the top division was then called – was £24,934 a year, or about two and a half times the average working man’s salary. With bonuses, it would have been around £36,000, perhaps more.
In 2009-10, the average basic Premier League wage was £1.16m and the average take-home pay was £1.76m.

• Like 1

Sad story.  COPD/Emphysema are very debilitating illnesses.  And they are preventable illnesses.  I lost a friend who had COPD who made it to 94, but was tethered to an Oxygen tank for her last fifteen years or so.  She quit smoking in her forties, but the effects finally settled in thirty years later.  I'm 77 and healthy thank God; I'm not sure there's a "Use By Date" for people and sure hope this fellow recovers. For the fellow who want to hang it up after a "full life" of sixty or seventy years, Godspeed. The speculation about this fellow's financial and insurance situation is silly and a little cruel.  Something is going to kill me, I'm sure of that, so while I have insurance, my plan is to not fight nature and take my licks. 

• Like 1

We all think we're immortal, until we're not.

This forum is littered with posts about health insurance.

The dirty rotten truth is that health insurance cost in Thailand is an exponential curve 60+.

That gives way to those that can't afford it to play the 'I self insure' card which is total BS

I'm sorry for the guy, but these are all the choices he made, and sooner or later chickens come home to roost, but don't expect strangers to pay for those chickens.

If the family are so concerned, time for them to put their hands in pockets!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I would disagree, I don't expect (nor desire) to live to age 77.

But I would like to choose where I die, which is not in a UK nursing home.

No need to run up expensive medical bills, accept death when it comes.

I don't 'self-insure' or have any insurance, and don't intend to pay for long term medical care. It's not required, at 66 I've already had my life.

You must have had a horrible life if you’re ready to check out at 66 ,

18 minutes ago, Irish made said:

You must have had a horrible life if you’re ready to check out at 66 ,

Why must he have had a horrible time? Illness and sickness can strike out at at any time?

Edited by Chris.B

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

To me, people who smoke and drink are as dumb as a can of soup. Gave up smoking in 1983, enjoy a drink once a week.

lighten up ....   It was a joke.  Life is too short to be that serious as far as i'm concerned.   

• Thumbs Up 1

He must be in the early stages if last month he did not know. 

A good private hospital could get him back well enough to travel if that is his wish, I am sure,

although his age is about the end of the line age.

I wish him well but to travel if he knew about without the financials available was a recipe for a good burning with 4 monks