British family makes desperate plea for grandfather seriously ill in Thailand

webfact

4 hours ago, South said:

Whilst I have some sympathy for the guy and I hope he quickly recovers, these types of stories are becoming too frequent.

Bottom line, if you don't have the funds (to cover your medical/emergency bills), you shouldn't be here.

Agree. But even more so in this case.  My understanding is that Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and emphysema doesn't happen ovenight. I have freinds who suffer from similar conditions and refuse to change their lifestyle and get help. 77 years old, fixed in his own world, wants to live in warm climate, doesn't want to change, hoping negative things will just go away by themselves. I have more sympathy for his daughter. Just my opinion and I could be 100% wrong in this matter.

57 minutes ago, arick said:

If he was French or Dutch he would be covered. Poor Brits 

I'm French and I would not be covered as I never paid into the system, except for four months when I was a student working for summer jobs.

3 hours ago, VinnieK said:

Irrespective of this case, this is a serious issue in general 

As we approach  zero hour, insured or not, family here or not , a lot of things can go pear-shaped.

I know of a few who finally capitulated and went back.

The only wise option after a certain age...assuming you are capable of carrying it out of course (money, no mobility/senility issues etc)

Going home, that is..

Of course there is always the 'Buddhist monk' option..

It works for the Thais..????

Not so sure.

24 minutes ago, riverhigh said:

Agree. But even more so in this case.  My understanding is that Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and emphysema doesn't happen ovenight. I have freinds who suffer from similar conditions and refuse to change their lifestyle and get help. 77 years old, fixed in his own world, wants to live in warm climate, doesn't want to change, hoping negative things will just go away by themselves. I have more sympathy for his daughter. Just my opinion and I could be 100% wrong in this matter.

You got one thing right in that rant and that's that you're 100% wrong.... 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Should be cashed up. 

Not all professional footballers get paid vast some of money like Messi or Ronaldo -  in the same way as not all professional musicians get paid as much as Taylor Swift or Kanye West (Had to Google them!) 

And Coventry City and Shrewsbury Town are unlikely to pay the same wages as Man United or Liverpool!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

At least he's in a government hospital. That should help keep the bill down.

Just had a friend pass 10 days in government hospital 450,000 baht 5 days ICU and 5 days public ward . This government gave hospitals a free run on what they charge on top of that there was an additional 40,000 baht on preparing the remains , mortury charges , delivery to the Temple , 2 nights prayers and then the burning 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Shrewsbury Town I bet there average gate was less than 10,000 supporters

Me being from Coventry knows full well that us supporters used to queue to get out before the game was over they were that bad.     bananaman

5 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Just had a friend pass 10 days in government hospital 450,000 baht 5 days ICU and 5 days public ward . This government gave hospitals a free run on what they charge on top of that there was an additional 40,000 baht on preparing the remains , mortury charges , delivery to the Temple , 2 nights prayers and then the burning 

Yes, and over the last few years they have got "worse" I was quoted a 12,000 baht fee for a simple procedure in a Government hospital, but by the time they added on all the "extras" it came to about 18,000 baht - only 1900 baht less than  Bumrungrad charge for the full package!

• Like 2