British family makes desperate plea for grandfather seriously ill in Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, Card said:

Is COPD caused by smoking?

A smoker is about 5 times more likely to develop COPD than someone who has never smoked.

The guy has emphysema as well, 15-20% of smokers will develop emphysema.

I don't know whether he is a smoker, although I would say a professional footballer should have healthy lungs during their playing days.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

I'm 79. In quite reasonable health, but then I haven't killed my lungs with smoking, or my liver and brain cells with alcohol.

66 is a fair bit below the average life expectancy of 81 for UK males. Perhaps your attitude will become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Or perhaps BritManToo has medical issues too.

1 hour ago, Walker88 said:

What do you expect? Insurance companies are not charities. If one is old and has something like COPD, the insurance actuaries have a pretty good idea what the hopeful policy holder is going to cost them, so they will charge accordingly.

What you are suggesting is a freebie. That others' will pay for you. In what universe does that make economic sense?

There's an estimated 8.7 million living species on planet earth, yet humans are the only mugs that have to pay exists. Go figure!

Edited by AddyA

6 hours ago, South said:

Whilst I have some sympathy for the guy and I hope he quickly recovers, these types of stories are becoming too frequent.

Bottom line, if you don't have the funds (to cover your medical/emergency bills), you shouldn't be here.

I*m sure if his UK family started a GoFundMe and contacted the UK clubs; they would surely help him out.

3 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I don't follow the European football (soccer), I'm NRL. 

I just regularly read the millions and millions of dollars these guys earn. 

Yeah….but when he was playing (probably 50 years ago), the wages were not so big I imagine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, tandor said:

I*m sure if his UK family started a GoFundMe and contacted the UK clubs; they would surely help him out.

Maybe they just don't want to spend ''THEIR" money doing so ????

image.png.735c538b05a070f63bca2495e4caea18.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I would disagree, I don't expect (nor desire) to live to age 77.

But I would like to choose where I die, which is not in a UK nursing home.

No need to run up expensive medical bills, accept death when it comes.

I don't 'self-insure' or have any insurance, and don't intend to pay for long term medical care. It's not required, at 66 I've already had my life.

Is there something wrong with you that you don’t expect to live beyond 77 ? Because actuarial tables indicate that at 66 you are likely to live into your 80s. And do you imagine that you will live illness free until you suddenly drop dead ,no heart attack ,strokes ,Alzheimer’s etc? Because I hate to bear bad news ,but your body very likely has different plans for your demise!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Good luck to him...I did a "thailand" search on gofundme out of curiosity, there are tens and tens of cases for donations related to medical treatment or funeral expenses in Thailand.

And some love stories ending very badly:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/get-a-loving-grandfather-home-to-australia?qid=25df96d6109e52323c65f7cecd0c6600

Poor old geezer falling in love...where else but Thailand.

On the other end some opportunistic requests...probably won't bother with travel insurance too..

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-me-pay-for-my-trip-to-thailand?qid=a6f4d895d6ed8292cadc0ca8856f5154

3 hours ago, Card said:

Is COPD caused by smoking?

9 times out of 10 is the estimate I read on the internet. 

But self inflicted happens to fat people and those that have unprotected promiscuous sex; I still feel sympathy for their plights.

Edited by IAMHERE
spelling
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mania said:

I am guessing this is one of those "I self insure" guys who always post here

Or the type that always say well if something bad happens I can just fly home & get treated for free

Sorry 0 Sympathy????

It says he was planning to go home to live with his daughter.  Perhaps he was "self-insure" up until a point and then decided to go home to get taken care of.  Why is that such a bad thing?  Not everyone expects to suddenly be taken ill.

Would you really have sympathy in different circumstances?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gearbox said:

And some love stories ending very badly:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/get-a-loving-grandfather-home-to-australia?qid=25df96d6109e52323c65f7cecd0c6600

Poor old geezer falling in love...where else but Thailand.

An interesting one.  Stole all his money, belongings and also passport, made homeless in Thailand, somehow couldn't apply for a temporary travel document, and simply locked up in detention.

Not impossible, but something in there seems a little implausible.

We all think we're immortal, until we're not.

This forum is littered with posts about health insurance.

The dirty rotten truth is that health insurance cost in Thailand is an exponential curve 60+.

That gives way to those that can't afford it to play the 'I self insure' card which is total BS

I'm sorry for the guy, but these are all the choices he made, and sooner or later chickens come home to roost, but don't expect strangers to pay for those chickens.

If the family are so concerned, time for them to put their hands in pockets!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Should be cashed up. 

Back when he was playing football , players used to earn regular salaries , on par with taxi drivers and builders and even today, the teams that he played for , their players wouldn't be earning huge amounts of money .

Its only the best players that earn large salaries these days 

• Thanks 1