Where to buy HOT English Mustard?

giddyup

2 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Wasabi. What a brilliant idea.

Wasabi (made of a root that grows in clear mountain streams in Japan - a rare delicacy - most probably not what you usually get served under that name here) is not mustard which is made out of mustard seeds. The taste is different as is the origin.

If only the fierceness is of concern, than there is nothing like the breeding of an American guy who is hunting the world record for the hottest chilly with his Carolina Reaper varieties. I think his last breed was near to 2.7 Mio. Scoville. There is a natural limit as to how hot it can get from any kind of food at 8 Mio. Scoville, which is pure Capsaicin (and which would probably severely damage your health if not kill you)

3 hours ago, Jimjim1 said:

Are you sure that you are not getting yourself mixed up with Coleman’s FRENCH mustard?

I hesitate to be sure of anything nowadays, you may be right.

Having said that, I'll stick with the Masterfoods brand as a known quality.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 6:18 PM, giddyup said:

I did see it on Lazada, but was more interested in whether any supermarkets etc stock it. Also I'm a bit dubious as to how hot that Masterfoods brand is.

I just tried a little out of my Masterfoods jar and it is still pretty hot, even though it is more than a year past its "Best By" date. I remember it blasting the back of my head off when it was new. Probably time to replace the old jar with a new one.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Dexxter said:

Chilies is the wrong type of hot for mustard. Hot mustard is more like Japanese wasabi. Rather than the burning sensation of chilies, it is a blast the back of your head off sensation.

My experience is of my nasal hairs being fried, and my eyes watering.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Chaspul said:

Colemans powder mix with milk will make it twice as strong, but only mix for one day as it will not keep.

Chas

I used to mix it with water, olive oil and vinegar, keeps for ages.

Actually, there are three solutions. Wasabi, as mentioned, best to grind your own from fresh--Japanese grocery. Circe sells truly excellent frozen fresh horseradish. Makro (& Peng Lee in Asok fresh market) have both yellow & black mustard seeds.

Here's my recipe: Grind up half & half yellow & black mustard seeds in a blender with Bragg's apple cider vinegar to fairly dry consistency. Add the same quantity of (unfrozen, obviously) Circe fresh horseradish. Add ACV to desired consistency.

Wicked good!

Well, the Masterfoods Hot English Mustard arrived yesterday and I'm very disappointed, it's mildly hot at best, really not much different than the Colman's goop. I will keep searching for the mustard powder in tins, the one you mix yourself,  that is truly hot.

42 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Well, the Masterfoods Hot English Mustard arrived yesterday and I'm very disappointed, it's mildly hot at best, really not much different than the Colman's goop. I will keep searching for the mustard powder in tins, the one you mix yourself,  that is truly hot.

I just did a quick search for "yellow mustard powder" and found Garatts on Shopee. Never tried it myself but I will be getting a tin of this just to see what it's like.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Muhendis said:

I just did a quick search for "yellow mustard powder" and found Garatts on Shopee. Never tried it myself but I will be getting a tin of this just to see what it's like.

Have tried it and it's HOT.

On 10/5/2022 at 3:55 PM, Iamfalang said:

I'm sure some people remember this with spring rolls.... not me..

maybe you think ham... not me..

pastrami...   now you're talking...

reuben..... if you can get me a reuben now, I'll put anything on it....   

Had a Reuben Sandwich from London Bagel and Salt Beef Bar in Pattaya for lunch yesterday.

Was extremely lush !!