Thailand named among Top 3 Best Countries in the World by Readers of Condé Nast Traveler

webfact

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Way I look at it is like this

Poll.

What country would you most like to visit - Thailand

Which country would you be most unlikely to visit again - Thailand

Yes, there are some nice , high class resorts for the rich folk, but after that its pretty 'meh'.

Hey Richard.

You are sounding pretty angry with Thailand  What happened?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

I've lived and worked in many countries on 4 continents. Retired to Thailand in 1993 having first visited in 1969. For me it is still one of the best countries in the world. Not as good as it once was, nowhere is, but still a great place for foreigners. Great food, friendly people, stunning landscapes.

I agree with you 100%!

I hitchhiked all over Thailand back in 1964/65 and it was truly a paradise. And although it has changed a great deal since the 1960s, it's still one of the best countries in the world to live in. That having been said, my only concern in life at the moment here in Thailand is that the Wave-ski I ordered from "The Land Down Under" will eventually arrive here in Rayong. ????

Edited by oslooskar
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Seen one golden Temple, seen them all.

Seen one elephant, Seen them all.

Seen one floating market,  seen them all.

Seen one national park,  seen them all.

Seen one Bar,  seen them all. ( even this get s a bit old after the first 100 )

Seen one island seen them all.

What's special about Thailand nothing,

20-30 years ago yes. now it's old hat.

Of course it's 'old hat' to you.  But, it's not old hat for first time visitors--everything on your list is all new to them--and lots of other attractions you didn't mention.

Seems lots of guys are living under a rock! Condé Nast is very well known in the luxury travel industry. It’s a niche market, but their magazine has been around for decades. 

However, the resort ranking is ridiculous. The Rosewood at #1 is fine, but no way Aleenta and the Anantara Hua Hin (apart from the lagoon-club Suites) are in front of Trisara, which is THE ultra-luxe resort in Thailand. Got the best and most attentive service ever there.

1 minute ago, Gweiloman said:

There are many expats in Thailand that don’t wish to be here but don’t have the choice to live where they like. So they vent out their frustration by bashing the country, the people, the food, the government etc.

Or maybe kidnapped by a Buriram Noi and living in Nakhon Nowhere.

2 minutes ago, SpanishExpat said:

but no way Aleenta and the Anantara Hua Hin (apart from the lagoon-club Suites) are in front of Trisara, which is THE ultra-luxe resort in Thailand. Got the best and most attentive service ever there.

Anantasila Hua Hin is much better, IMO. I have stayed there many times.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

I like 500 baht rooms. Why spend 5000 baht for 1 sleep?

Second that. When my body is asleep it wouldn't know if it is in 200 or 20k room. Money better spent on something else.

IMO the dumbest is to pay thousands for better chair for 5-6 hours as the case in business class. Would you take 2k pay cut if they offer you better chair in the office for one day?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Second that. When my body is asleep it wouldn't know if it is in 200 or 20k room. Money better spent on something else.

IMO the dumbest is to pay thousands for better chair for 5-6 hours as the case in business class. Would you take 2k pay cut if they offer you better chair in the office for one day?

In other words you're a cheapskate.

Agree that business class doesn't make a lot of sense for a three hour flight, but for longer than that it does and it is not about a bigger seat - it is the whole stress free experience.   

Let's say you fly Emirates business class, you get picked up from home in a Mercedes, you do not have to queue at check in, security or immigration, you get to wait for your flight in a lounge with full meal service, lots of food and drink choices, champagne, wine, whatever you like.  Depending on which airport you're at you can board the aircraft directly from the lounge, no queuing.  You get a glass of champagne at your seat before take off.  You have tons of space and tons of privacy, a big screen TV, amenities, you get proper food (three courses served in order, on plates), high quality wine and drinks.  You can convert your seat to a fully flat bed with mattress and blanket if you want to sleep.  Or you can chill in the on board bar if you want to meet people.  You arrive fresh as a daisy (or drunk as a skunk), you are first off the plane, your bags come out first, you have a driver waiting for you to take you to your final destination.

To me that is well worth the money.  If business class was just a "better chair" it wouldn't be.  Once you try it you realise flying can be something to look forward to rather than something to be endured.  And you can't go back to economy.

• Thumbs Up 2

31 minutes ago, gearbox said:

You can not take the money with you, so if you have it spend it and enjoy the nice rooms, the view, and what comes with it.  If your ok living cheaply because that's all you can afford well then what more can I say....

12 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Agree that business class doesn't make a lot of sense for a three hour flight, but for longer than that it does and it is not about a bigger seat - it is the whole stress free experience.   

Let's say you fly Emirates business class, you get picked up from home in a Mercedes, you do not have to queue at check in, security or immigration, you get to wait for your flight in a lounge with full meal service, lots of food and drink choices, champagne, wine, whatever you like.  Depending on which airport you're at you can board the aircraft directly from the lounge, no queuing.  You get a glass of champagne at your seat before take off.  You have tons of space and tons of privacy, a big screen TV, amenities, you get proper food (three courses served in order, on plates), high quality wine and drinks.  You can convert your seat to a fully flat bed with mattress and blanket if you want to sleep.  Or you can chill in the on board bar if you want to meet people.  You arrive fresh as a daisy (or drunk as a skunk), you are first off the plane, your bags come out first, you have a driver waiting for you to take you to your final destination.

To me that is well worth the money.  If business class was just a "better chair" it wouldn't be.  Once you try it you realise flying can be something to look forward to rather than something to be endured.  And you can't go back to economy.

I got picked up in a BMW. Looks like I got cheated.

They did upgrade me to first a couple of times so I guess I shouldn’t complain.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

You haven't missed much.  I used to be in media and the Conde Nast sales team were arrogant and self centered.  They said their reader were peerless.  I always remember them when I read one of their "Reader Choice Awards".  I wonder how much $ these resorts paid in advertising in their magazine.  As they say, Follow the money.

Free stays in A thai resort 

6 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I got picked up in a BMW. Looks like I got cheated.

They did upgrade me to first a couple of times so I guess I shouldn’t complain.

Dammit, you should ask for a refund!

I've upgraded to first a couple of times to the UK using miles.  Unbelievable experience.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Dammit, you should ask for a refund!

I've upgraded to first a couple of times to the UK using miles.  Unbelievable experience.

They serve brandy is a very unique tumbler, without a stem. Steward said I could keep it.

1A989E78-006D-4DFA-8552-C9D2FB9FE2A6.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

Yes eco is fine

29 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

You can not take the money with you, so if you have it spend it and enjoy the nice rooms, the view, and what comes with it.  If your ok living cheaply because that's all you can afford well then what more can I say....

You plan to die next week? Water views are lame. Looks the same.

Nice rooms? A 5000 baht room is 20% better than 500 baht room.

You are paying 4400 for nice pool and breakfast.  Dont swim  4400 baht for 300 meal 

38 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Or snob. It's a chair. $1000 for a seat 9 hours. Hire 20 women for that.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

You plan to die next week? Water views are lame. Looks the same.

Nice rooms? A 5000 baht room is 20% better than 500 baht room.

You are paying 4400 for nice pool and breakfast.  Dont swim  4400 baht for 300 meal 

If you have it spend it if not then go on the cheap.  I can spend what I want and still will have money left over when I pass on in 30 or 40 years.  A lifetime Pension that pays out an unsightly amount to some, is peanuts to others.  For someone who started his posting days complaining about loosing most of his money as the stocks and so on started to fall I understand your need to be frugal...

• Like 1