I have been advised by the Inland Revenue in the UK that they will be sending to me  in Thailand,  a cheque for £ 150  for overpayment of tax last year. I have tried accessing their website to request  an internet transfer but it has turned out very difficult to make contact with them.

Will it be possible to pay this in to the sterling account I have at Bangkok Bank and if so what charge could I expect to pay (I could ask them directly but it is not always easy to get straightforward answers at my branch and phoning head office can also sometimes be difficult).

If not, then I would send it to a relative in England to pay it into my Nationwide account there which is where my pension payments are made into. Would I need to write anything of authorization on the back of it, sign it or provide them with a covering letter.

Edited by lelapin
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lelapin said:

If not, then I would send it to a relative in England to pay it into my Nationwide account there which is where my pension payments are made into. Would I need to write anything of authorization on the back of it, sign it or provide them with a covering letter.

Not needed. My brother pays in my dividend cheques to the Nationwide (I know I've tried getting them to pay direct but that's another story) he just fills out the paying in slip, writes the account number on the back of the cheque, and hands it to the cashier.

There is an option to mail a cheque in for payment, you need to complete the paying in form on the website. There isn't an option in the Nationwide app for paying in a cheque AFAIK.

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lelapin said:

I have tried accessing their website to request  an internet transfer but it has turned out very difficult to make contact with them.

Have you tried to call them?  I have to normally speak to them a couple of times a year and rarely do I not eventually get answered -

From their site - 

Outside UK:
+44 135 535 9022

Although recently I have used this no. with Skype out which is for general enquiries - 

+44 161 931 9070

Interesting article as I experienced a similar situation, but many years ago. I also received a UK Inland Revenue (HM Treasury) cheque for a tax overpayment (250 GBP). At that time, I had a Bangkok Bank account in Phayao where (in those days) my UK pension cheques (Civil Service and Local Government) were cashed and credited to my account. Normally cheques took up to 3 weeks to be cleared but as I was a regular customer my "Government" cheques were "cashed" on the spot at that day's exchange rate without the wait. So, the HM Treasury cheque was treated the same as the others. Personal cheques were subject to the clearing process.  Maybe worth asking your Bangkok Bank Customer Service Manager if the same arrangement can be offered to you. Fortunately my CSM was Malaysian and not Thai. I cannot remember if there were any bank charges, but if there were then minimal.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Andyfez said:

Why do you need your brother-in-law?

Why can't you just mail it to your bank in UK with paying in details?

Or, why not call Bangkok Bank call centre and ask them if you can deposit it into your BBL acount, cost etc?

Paid Canadian cheque into BB this year. Baht account.

Required international clearing,cost 100 baht.

Could be 21 days but only took 14.

There is another system for clearing cheques I found during research, not sure if UK qualify,Canada didn't, Google it.

Chas

Got exchange rate for day I paid in cheque. 

Edited by Chaspul
More info
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, normanx1234 said:

I don't know about Nationwide, but with the Lloyds App you can scan cheques in using your phone. You don't even need the original cheque, just a decent copy.

Yes.

I've had friends actually take a picture of both sides of a check back home then attached the pictures to an email, Skype, Line, etc.

I print out the pictures then take a picture of them and use the app to deposit them.

I've put "For electronic deposit only" on the back and signed it.

Always works. 

15 hours ago, Andyfez said:

Why do you need your brother-in-law?

Why can't you just mail it to your bank in UK with paying in details?

That's what I've done in the passed, with a small signed covering letter with my account details asking them to make the deposit.

Always successfully.