At least 20 people killed in mass shooting in Thailand: Police

webfact

14 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Maybe if each room had an armed guard. It likely would have made little difference. Look at Uvalde. Swat teams waiting outside the school for a hour, while the killer roamed around killing people. Sheer cowardice. Having a gun does not solve everything, nor does it make one brave.

Despite what the NRA claims!  One highly  courageous soul could have ended this with a sharp pencil jammed into his neck. All schools have pencils. 

...not all schools have courageous folk.  RIP.

Edited by tandor
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

My latest figure is 36...no words ????????????

The attack on Thursday ranks as the worst mass shooting by a sole perpetrator in Thailand’s history and exceeds the death tolls of the deadliest school shootings in the United States. Twenty-six people, including 20 children, were killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012, and 19 children and two adults were killed in Uvalde, Texas, in May.

Gunman Kills Dozens, Including Children, in Rampage at Thai Child Care Center https://nyti.ms/3V6KGT5

Perhaps it doesn't matter, but this doesn't seem to have been a "mass shooting" like the examples in the US, as most of the child victims were stabbed to death.

1 hour ago, Iamfalang said:

I'm a little surprised this story isn't bigger worldwide.   Yes, I know, there was a mass stabbings in Vegas (USA) and 20 killed in Mexico (mass shooting) and it seems like we are getting more used to all this senseless violence.

My Thai "friends" (acquaintances) are pretty quiet.  They are certainly not the American type screaming for answers, blaming, wanting solutions immediately....but after talking with them I'm sure they are worried about the future.  I can tell.  They have kids.  It's too bad there isn't a "safe country" you can go to.   The internet will tell you one place is super safe, but it's not.  Gotta play the odds.

I have to remind myself that many people are on the edge, still, after COVID.  I'm not on the edge, but I need to remember others might be.   Next time someone walks in front of me at Big C and stops for no reason for the 100th time.......well, I'll do my best to smile and go about my day.   Drugs are now so cheap here it might be their escape while the falang drinks beer to forget.  Well, Yaba and beer are not the same.  Yaba is a big problem in my town, but I'll be traveling again in a few months.  

You need different news sources, as part of top stories of news sites I visit.  Neither allowed to be posted here.  

Not MSM, but very informative.  Actually reported before the BBC.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

You need different news sources, as part of top stories of news sites I visit.  Neither allowed to be posted here.  

Not MSM, but very informative.  Actually reported before the BBC.

Oh it has made the MSM news.....CNN, CBS, and many other US stations have picked it up.  My friends who know I used to live up there in the neighboring Area have reached out to ensure that none of my ex's family were impacted.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scott said:

There is no exact definition, but in the US the Congressional Research Services defines it as 4 or more people shot at one or more locations.  I suspect the adults were shot and his wife and child and himself, so it would qualify as a mass shooting under that definition.  

Just seen a report on Sky stating a child that was still alive was both stabbed and shot.

16 hours ago, webfact said:

apparently under the influence of drugs. Paisal said the gunman is a former policeman who was discharged last year on charge of drug abuse

It is very very sad that innocent children were targeted ....

Just another uneducated Thai with no sense ....   and a drug addict by the sounds of it .....

plenty of them around. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stargeezr said:

What a horrible thing for this ex RTP to do.  I guess in this country, the RTP do not get disarmed when they get fired.

I wonder if that will change in the future? If this guy was

also a drug dealer, maybe he should have already been in

jail. Not a good day in Thailand. RIP to all the poor innocent

people who died, especially all those small children.

What does it matter if he was disarmed or not? He could have easily purchased 1 or 10 additional weapons thereafter. It's incredibly easy to purchase guns in this country.

• Like 2

Call it fate or call it luck. The one toddler who survived has a special chance in life. I hope he can be given an opportunity to study in the best schools and move forward to do great things in this world. It should not be wasted after this tragic event. Time will tell.

34 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Just seen a report on Sky stating a child that was still alive was both stabbed and shot.

Oh don't, that's heartbreaking.....???? The only ray of hope is that the child will recover in time both physically and emotionally

This ex policeman should have not been allowed freedom the court was due to sentence him today he should of been taken to the prison yesterday to await his punishment but no he walks out if court and then goes on to brutally murder innocent lives mainly children then he goes home killing his family and then himself he was armed with a shotgun a pistol and some sort of knife this was clearly a planned execution . My heart goes out to all those families suffering with the loss of family especially children who had a full life in front of them . I hope that the Thai government will ensure that those who have lost loved ones will be given the finances to ensure the deceased have a decent funeral as many up in the North of Thailand have very little . ????????????????????RIP????????????????????

20 minutes ago, nattaya09 said:

Wife and I are in the US now. Her village is next door, NongDan.  Crime scene photos apparently taken by cops on their iphones were circulated to wives, friends. A few found their way to wife on Line app.  Horrific.

In the US they would be sued like those who leaked the Kobe Bryant crash scene photos, but not here in Thailand. Why is there such a morbid fascination with death in this country.

3 hours ago, 2baht said:

I was always lead to believe that RT police bought their own guns.

Yes they have to buy everything guns uniform my police inspector friend tells me that they are loaned the money to make the purchases and this loan is then deducted each month from there salary  he told me this a few years ago so unless the rules have changed I would assume it’s still the same today and I presume that as they had to buy the gun then in law it belongs to them .

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I mean this in the nicest possible way but how do you know he wasn't on drugs? How do you know if someone who takes drugs can or can't drive? . Surely it depends on the individual, type of drug taken and how much was consumed (amongst other things).

People are quick to say it was drug induced. It could readily have been alcohol. Mental illness exacerbated by alcohol abuse, along with Karmic things. 

Extremely hard to find compassion here, and to accept he was sick, not evil. Could anyone be that evil? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Certainly not all. But, perhaps a disproportionate number, from those two ranks. 

Think about it. What have the police or the army done to benefit the people lately? 

Could say the same for any country, although granted, the police here are basically legalised mobsters. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Yes they have to buy everything guns uniform my police inspector friend tells me that they are loaned the money to make the purchases and this loan is then deducted each month from there salary  he told me this a few years ago so unless the rules have changed I would assume it’s still the same today and I presume that as they had to buy the gun then in law it belongs to them .

I guess one more 9mm will be on the market again very soon! ????

13 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

In the US they would be sued like those who leaked the Kobe Bryant crash scene photos, but not here in Thailand. Why is there such a morbid fascination with death in this country.

I don't think there is, it just appears that way to westerners, who try to hide death and think its a bad thing. 

In most Buddhist and Hindu countries, death is not bad. In India, you see dead bodies on the street, travelling in Rickshaws etc. 

17 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Yes, I bought my now ex-BIL a RTP Police LtCol, his gun for him just before the RTP purchased all of the guns they then sold to the officers in 2018

10 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I don't think there is, it just appears that way to westerners, who try to hide death and think its a bad thing. 

In most Buddhist and Hindu countries, death is not bad. In India, you see dead bodies on the street, travelling in Rickshaws etc. 

So the proverbial Bring out your dead scenario and gawkers.  Still seems to fascinate the masses here, and they still show the scenes and arrests on the news here as well.

15 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You're confusing this case with the previous mass shooting in Thailand, which involved a soldier killing innocent shoppers in a mall in Korat as he was in dispute over a land deal.

As for the comment that the police are completely out of control, this latest mass murderer was removed from the force and charged with taking and dealing drugs, for which he was due in court tomorrow.

WADR, I am not confusing this horrific and tragic incident with any other.

It was reported early on as the incident unfolded, that the Guy was a Lt Coronal , and he was in a Debt dispute with a superior officer.

There was no mention of him being a Drug Dealer, and it was also stated that he was a well known local Drug Addict.

If that was the case, and he was a suspected Drug Dealer, and addict, why was he allowed to roam free whilst awaiting his Trial, and above all else, allowed to possess Guns.

This whole story has changed considerably from the initial reports, and it would seem that some are going to great lengths to dissociate themselves from this animal.

8 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

WADR, I am not confusing this horrific and tragic incident with any other.

It was reported early on as the incident unfolded, that the Guy was a Lt Coronal , and he was in a Debt dispute with a superior officer.

There was no mention of him being a Drug Dealer, and it was also stated that he was a well known local Drug Addict.

If that was the case, and he was a suspected Drug Dealer, and addict, why was he allowed to roam free whilst awaiting his Trial, and above all else, allowed to possess Guns.

This whole story has changed considerably from the initial reports, and it would seem that some are going to great lengths to dissociate themselves from this animal.

Not sure where you saw the information you have, but it is misinformation.

• Like 1