At least 20 people killed in mass shooting in Thailand: Police

webfact

16 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Now all you have to do is quote those similar institutions where there were arms present and a mass shooting was prevented…

google it? there's literally hundreds of instances on video or in articles where a gunman shot the criminal? Whether a robbery, mass shooting or home invasion, theres probably thousands if not tends of thousands of instances that aren't on the news. I can't believe people actually think that having an armed adult would have resulted in no difference in the chance of this ending differently, even if one or two lives were spared.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62217263

Edited by dj230

8 minutes ago, dj230 said:

google it? there's literally hundreds of instances on video or in articles where a gunman shot the criminal? Whether a robbery, mass shooting or home invasion, theres probably thousands if not tends of thousands of instances that aren't on the news. I can't believe people actually think that having an armed adult would have resulted in no difference in the chance of this ending differently, even if one or two lives were spared.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62217263

The shooter in this instance began by shooting those guarding the door , the deceased children wouldn't have been able to use a gun 

I can't see how all these hysterical comments help anyone except those who post them.

What is needed is a serious review as how this ever happened and a compassionate program of report.

Hardly a single post here about the victims and there families.

13 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The shooter in this instance began by shooting those guarding the door , the deceased children wouldn't have been able to use a gun 

Exactly my point, multiple unarmed people guarding a door doesn't work against an armed criminal. 

Just now, dj230 said:

Exactly my point, multiple unarmed people guarding a door doesn't work against an armed criminal. 

So you would need about six armed people standing in strategic locations outside every school entrance or exit and every school door ?

First thing gunman would do would be to shoot the people with guns 

RIP to all those so senselessly murdered. Must be one of the worst, most horrific mass murders ever committed anywhere. To kill 23 sleeping infants with a knife is beyond comprehension. Yabba is a very insidious drug which makes people mentally unstable,delusional and often violent.. No doubt it will have an affect on the current debate on the acceptance or not of the cannabis laws being changed. Unfortunately although cannabis has not been shown to make people violent this case will likely be a factor in the new cannabis law being thrown out. Was also very disappointing to see some relatives of those murdered being asked to hold up big cardboard cut out cheques of money given to them by the government. Not a time for political point scoring.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kwilco said:

I wonder why you feel the need to say that.

You posted suggesting that posters on this forum are unconcerned about the victims and I just posted that that isnt the case .

But there's usually a post like yours in every thread , someone usually posts something like "You lot are horrible, none of you care , not like me who is really nice and caring*

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You posted suggesting that posters on this forum are unconcerned about the victims and I just posted that that isnt the case .

But there's usually a post like yours in every thread , someone usually posts something like "You lot are horrible, none of you care , not like me who is really nice and caring*

Perhaps you draw that kind of response....seem to have touched a nerve?

23 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Perhaps it doesn't matter, but this doesn't seem to have been a "mass shooting" like the examples in the US, as most of the child victims were stabbed to death.

it is still a horrible, terrifying massacre.  RIP.

23 hours ago, kwilco said:

What I found jaw-dropping distasteful was the sight of the PM handing out enormous plastic cheques as if it was for some lottery winners....

I was focused on how much he was giving and the quick response of the government and King to help out the grieving families, yet you are suggesting it's nothing but a political show. I'm pretty sure the PM was grieving as most of the rest of us were. It would have been very difficult to face these families a day after their children were slaughtered.

On 10/7/2022 at 11:46 AM, Neeranam said:

Guns are not forbidden here. 

Most gun owners are 100% legal. 

My experience here in our village is very different as most seem to be unlicensed. Two nearby friends have recently been prosecuted for illegal possession, 10k bht 'fine' in each case.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 12:51 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

So you would need about six armed people standing in strategic locations outside every school entrance or exit and every school door ?

First thing gunman would do would be to shoot the people with guns 

Not really.  A guy once threatened to kill me one time.  He kicked in my front door and entered my house with his pistol.  As soon as he saw me standing with my pistol, he turned and left.   

There is a thing called concealed carry too.   Where the evil SOB isn't aware of who has a firearm and who will shoot back.  It works!

12 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

Not really.  A guy once threatened to kill me one time.  He kicked in my front door and entered my house with his pistol.  As soon as he saw me standing with my pistol, he turned and left.   

There is a thing called concealed carry too.   Where the evil SOB isn't aware of who has a firearm and who will shoot back.  It works!

Doesn't seem to be working too well in the USA , where there are regular school massacres 

20 hours ago, edwinchester said:

My experience here in our village is very different as most seem to be unlicensed. Two nearby friends have recently been prosecuted for illegal possession, 10k bht 'fine' in each case.

Any idea what happened to their weapons?

37 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

That's as much as I know. Glad when any illegal weapons are taken off the streets but there is a huge problem in Thailand. Just about every house in our village seems to have a firearm of some sort.

I live in the outskirts of Pattaya and don't see much of them. But they do seem to pop up  when some kid loses face, or there is a road rage incident. I just got a baseball bat! ????